5.0 out of 5 stars This has opened up the world for me!, 21 Jan. 2011
This review is from: Overcome the Fear of Flying (Audio CD)
Ok, so my fear of flying got so bad that I couldn't face getting on a plane for 10 years. Now I realise how much I must have missed out on, travelling wise. I just wish I'd dealt with it sooner. If you start to avoid flying (like I did) then the fear will actually gets worse. This is such a frustrating phobia, but this CD really helped me.

About 2 years ago I was asked to be a bridesmaid in a far-flung destination which required several flights to get there and back. I didn't want to miss out on the wedding so I knew that something must be done!

I was VERY sceptical about it as I'm not really an 'alternative therapy' type (though now I'm a bit more open minded!). There are 2 tracks, each about 25mins long. You need to listen to each track on alternative days for about 2-3 weeks before the flight. The more you listen, the better it works. I have been a bit slack of late (only did 3 times before a recent long-haul return flight) but it still works ok- I think it's because it's got very well 'embedded' in my subconscious now!

When you listen to the cd it's best to listen with headphones, and somewhere where you won't be disturbed. I tend to lie down in bed and switch the lights off so that I can concentrate without any distractions. I don't go into a 'trance' or anything like that (I've fallen asleep a few times...) but it still works. The guy's voice/Essex accent is a bit funny, and the casio keyboard music a bit odd- but you get over it! The first time I tried using the CD I was fairly convinced, right up to the flight, that it hadn't worked. But somehow once I was onboard, and buckled up, I just wasn't particularly afraid. It's really strange, I can't explain it. I really can't recommend this CD enough. It has completely changed my life actually! OK, so I still get a bit nervous around take-off and when there's turbulence, and it doesn't completely stop me worrying about the flight beforehand- but the knowledge that once I'm in the plane I'll be OK and not panicking is a real plus!

I also went to see a hypnotherapist before that wedding trip- just for one session. However the audio CD was much more effective and far, far cheaper!! I felt much more self-conscious going to a counselling room. Being in your own bed with headphones on us a better way to relax/concentrate on the hypnosis I think.

I also tried reading a couple of books about fear of flying with Q&A about the mechanics of flying etc. This didn't really work for me as my fear is a psychological one and irrational (ie I don't worry about friends or family taking flights, or about planes crashing from above (even though I live under the heathrow flight path!). So I needed a kind of pyschological therapy / treatment rather than just understand the facts about flying.

The other thing that helps me (though not as much as the hypnotherapy) was getting some beta-blockers from my GP. This is a tablet that slows your heart rate, so it makes you less prone to feeling panicky, and prevents panic attacks. Youw ould need to find out from a GP if this is suitable for you, but it's not a very strong drug like Valium. You can also take them along-side rescue remedy (or other herbal anti anxiety remedies) and over the counter sleeping pills but NOT alongside prescription sleeping pills. I would also suggest taking the beta-blocker (plus any other remedies alongside) as a trial-run BEFORE her flight (ie when you're at home) just in case there are any side-effects/allergy etc. This is not something to discover or be worried about during a long-haul flight!!
For me, the knowledge that I was very unlikely to panic on my flight because of these drugs probably helped me more than the drug itself.

Finally, I'd suggest avoiding caffeine entirely on the day of the flight and to remember to take the CD away with you to listen to it in preparation for the return flight (I put it on my iPod so it takes up less room).

Sorry about the very lengthy review BUT I know how awful this phobia can be, and how most people don't 'get' it. It tell people to imagine how you would feel about going in for major surgery-it feels that. Or having an illness that means you can't travel by plane-that would evoke more sympathy, but it's basically the same thing.

I hope this works as well for you as it has for me. I've been able to travel by plane many times since discovering this (over 20 flights in the last couple of years) - its really opened up the world for me!

Be the first person to comment on this review.

[Add comment]