2.0 out of 5 stars Joni's Better!, 3 Oct 2007
This review is from: River: The Joni Letters (Audio CD)
Of course, music is all about personal taste but in the interest of balance I thought I'd contribute my thoughts on this album... Let me start by saying that I'm a Herbie hancock fan, particularly the early work on Blue Note (Maiden Voyage, Takin' Off etc.) but I've felt that in recent years he may have run out of ideas. I'm a huge Joni fan too, so decided this might be worth investigating.
How wrong I was...The only vocal of interest on this album is saved 'til last with Leonard Cohen's take on 'The Jungle Line' - I didn't particularly like it, but at least it was interesting. Norah Jones contributed little to a once great song (Court & Spark) but that was nothing compared to Tina Turner's take on 'Edith & The Kingpin' and the worst was yet to come. Quite why Corrine Bailey Rae adopted a 'mockney' accent for her performance of 'River' is beyond me, being as she's from Leeds!
The instrumental tracks fare slightly better but are at best, pleasant!
For a much more interesting album of Joni Mitchell interpretations, I'd recommend 'A Tribute To Joni Mitchell' by Various Artists (ASIN: B000NJXCG2) or try Joni's excellent new album 'Shine'.

[Add comment]
Name:
Badge:
This badge will be assigned to you and will appear along with your name.
There was an error. Please try again.
Please see the full guidelines ">here.

Official Comment

The following name and badge will be shown with this comment:
 (edit name)

Is this your product?

Otherwise, you can still post a regular comment on this review.

Is this your product?

System timed out

Prompts for sign-in

Comments

Sort: Oldest first | Newest first
Showing 1-2 of 2 posts in this discussion
Initial post: 3 Feb 2008 14:57:11 GMT
grooveryder says:
This just isn't a 2 star record - the soundscape is magnificent, the players are outstanding, Herbie H. is subtle and the treatments are sympathetic and expansive, 4 stars I say(!) A.

In reply to an earlier post on 3 Oct 2008 16:19:30 BDT
Hi there, only just spotted your comment and as I say in my review, it's all about personal taste. I don't like the new James Taylor album (one of my favourite artists) but 2 other reviewers give it 4 stars!
I played this album a couple of times after reviewing it and it did nothing to change my mind but I'm obviously not the only one, 13 of 14 found my comments of interest...
There again, the majority give it 5 stars.
‹ Previous 1 Next ›