3.0 out of 5 stars Bit predictable, 27 Oct 2012
This review is from: Dolly: A Ghost Story (Hardcover)
Having removed most of my fingernails whilst reading 'The Woman In Black', I was thoroughly looking forward to 'Dolly'. However, this story was pretty predictable and the characters were somewhat bland, so no empathy was felt for either of them. The book itself is beautiful to hold and a visual pleasure, but the story was disappointing for me. I know that following a truly excellent first ghost story can be hard to achieve, but there was nothing new or even very creepy about this one. I should have realised it by the title, but thought that it may contain some unheard of twist, but sadly it did not. So, cannot agree with the other reviewers I'm afraid. An easy read that can be read from cover to cover in 3 hours.

[Add comment]
Name:
Badge:
This badge will be assigned to you and will appear along with your name.
There was an error. Please try again.
Please see the full guidelines ">here.

Official Comment

The following name and badge will be shown with this comment:
 (edit name)

Is this your product?

Otherwise, you can still post a regular comment on this review.

Is this your product?

System timed out

Prompts for sign-in

Comments

Sort: Oldest first | Newest first
Showing 1-10 of 15 posts in this discussion
Initial post: 28 Oct 2012 14:46:47 GMT
Last edited by the author on 28 Oct 2012 14:47:06 GMT
FoggyDay says:
DOLLY is not a 'follow-up' to The Woman in Black. That was my first ghost story, written in 1982, this is my fifth, written 30 years later.
Susan Hill

In reply to an earlier post on 28 Oct 2012 15:54:05 GMT
Last edited by the author on 28 Oct 2012 16:00:08 GMT
Willow says:
My apologies, what I meant to say was that any ghost story that follows 'The Woman in Black' (and this was advertised as the 'Halloween Ghost Story from the writer of 'The Woman in Black', so was immediately linked with your previous book). That book from 1982 was so superb, that nothing else could be better!. I have read all of your books, including 'The Small Hand' and this is the only one that I found did not frighten me in any way, and was predictable, unlike your others. But that's just my personal comments, I can see that many loved it and got very creeped out. I have never left negative feedback before, but was just disappointed this time. Anyway, I'm still buying your other books, and am enjoying them. (I gave 5 stars for the film version of The Woman In Black as well by the way!). Regards.

In reply to an earlier post on 28 Oct 2012 15:59:31 GMT
FoggyDay says:
Thank you so much for that. It just seemed like a comment from a reader who hadn't known what went between but assumed it was the classic 'poor 2nd novel.' Everyone has their own opinion but the point of my ghost stories is never just to frighten, there's always, I hope, something else.

In reply to an earlier post on 28 Oct 2012 16:01:14 GMT
Willow says:
Oh absolutely, there is always something else, which is why I love reading your books. Always up for sinister undertones!

In reply to an earlier post on 2 Oct 2013 16:59:24 BDT
algiz says:
Why on earth pick on this lady? The meaning of her comment about 'following' was patently obvious to me. I've just read the paperback. I wish now I'd bought the hardback so that I too could join the consensus that at least the bool was nice to hold, despite its poor content.

In reply to an earlier post on 2 Oct 2013 20:20:20 BDT
Willow says:
I'm glad that you enjoyed the book, and that you thought that her comment was 'obvious'. Well done.

I would never pick on anyone, especially an excellent writer such as Susan Hill. I made a negative comment on one book only, and if you had read my other comments regarding her past work, then you would have understood. The whole point of a review is subjective, and is my opinion, which is what is asked for. It's wonderful that we all feel differently about books, otherwise reviews would be a pointless exercise.

Happy future reading!

In reply to an earlier post on 2 Oct 2013 20:26:04 BDT
FoggyDay says:
Everyone is entitled both to their opinion and to expressing it... so long as it is done politely, without personal animosity, why would any author object ? I don't object to this - for every book of mine someone enjoys there is bound to be someone else who didn't. I read many a book friends have loved and disagree with them. (Susan Hill)

In reply to an earlier post on 2 Oct 2013 20:34:03 BDT
Willow says:
Thank you, I totally agree. It's what makes life interesting, and book discussions stimulating.

Regards.

In reply to an earlier post on 3 Oct 2013 08:11:47 BDT
algiz says:
There seem to be a lot of wires getting crossed here. I did not enjoy the book, hence the comment 'poor content'. And it was FoggyDay I was replying to. Faced with opinions that included the words, insubstantial, recycled, cynical and slapdash in other reviews I was genuinely puzzled as to why she should respond to E Smith's innocuous use of the word 'following'. Thinking about writing myself, I once had a dream in which Susan Hill gave me some advice. Doubting my ability at that time because of a lack of vocabulary I asked her how much that mattered. She said vocabulary was important otherwise your work would seem like 'going through the same door over and over again.' In my opinion 'Dolly' is an example of that. Recycled is probably a fair comment.

In reply to an earlier post on 3 Oct 2013 08:21:14 BDT
Willow says:
My apologies to you algiz for the obvious crossed wires!, but the comment was sent directly to me from Amazon, as a comment on mine, hence my reply!

E.Smith
‹ Previous 1 2 Next ›

Review Details

Item

3.4 out of 5 stars (111 customer reviews)

9.99 6.99