3.0 out of 5 stars sad, 31 Oct. 2011
This review is from: Gangsta Granny (Hardcover)
I listened to the audio CD of this book before intending to send it to my grandson. It is fun and entertaining. However I will not be sending it to him as the book has a sad end. He would be in tears ). If I were to read this book to my 8 year old grandson I would change the end to Granny moving into an Old Folks home where she spends her days tunnelling out just like in The Great Escape) using plastic spoons from the dining hall that she steals every breakfast time. For me, it is a good, original story spoilt by a sad end.

[Add comment]
Name:
Badge:
This badge will be assigned to you and will appear along with your name.
There was an error. Please try again.
Please see the full guidelines ">here.

Official Comment

The following name and badge will be shown with this comment:
 (edit name)

Is this your product?

Otherwise, you can still post a regular comment on this review.

Is this your product?

System timed out

Prompts for sign-in

Comments

Tracked by 3 customers

Sort: Oldest first | Newest first
Showing 1-8 of 8 posts in this discussion
Initial post: 10 Dec 2011 14:14:30 GMT
canmus says:
This is a great book. Life does not always have a happy ending!! and its not a bad thing for an 8 year old to know the alternatives in life. My 9 and a half year old had no problem with this.

Posted on 26 Mar 2012 22:04:33 BDT
cannot really understand why authors make sad ends in stories for children - even though most of the standard "Fairy Tales" which we have been used to are quite horrific - think they should make life a bit more "rosy" for the little kids now growinng up!

Posted on 16 Apr 2012 19:04:58 BDT
thanks for pointing out that you have just given away the ending of a book in the first sentence ....SPOILER in the title wouldnt go a miss ..some of us like to be surprised by endings even if it does turn out to be sad .....

In reply to an earlier post on 30 Aug 2012 01:36:24 BDT
Last edited by the author on 3 Feb 2013 13:26:03 GMT
MonsoonCat says:
Fairy tales and folklore have long taught children to cope with things they are afraid of. The 'Disneyfication' of these stories destroys the original value of the tales with outdated morals, that are best left in 1950's from which they originated.
Modern stories addressing relevant issues for today's children should be equally purposeful in helping children understand the quandaries of current times. David Walliams provides this much needed modern insight, and with great wit. My 5 & 6 year old boys thoroughly enjoy, over & over, listening and reading Gangster Granny, along with Billionaire Boy, Ratburger and Mr Stink. The kids also love how the reoccurring character Raj the Newsagent is woven into each story. We can't wait for more of David's' awesome tales.

Posted on 2 Feb 2013 21:18:13 GMT
Kimbo says:
I so wish I had read these reviews before buying the book for my 9 year old son (without giving too much away) we are actually a family who are the exception than the rule and he found this more than a little upsetting even though his sister is fit and well now. I;m very disappointed that I won't be able to get him more of David's books solely because I can't trust the ending. As far as kids needing to know that life is not all good......sometimes they need to know it's all bad too!

Posted on 12 Mar 2013 11:04:51 GMT
Hi thanks for the heads up, have just brought this book for my 7 year old to read to him so will change the ending as know would devastate him as he adores his grandmother.

Posted on 27 Sep 2013 19:39:52 BDT
LynLondon says:
As I granny I jolly well agree that the ending should suit the Super-Grans of today!!!! :)))) We are off adventuring and having the best fun of all and not thinking 'age' for one second!! :)))) On the week-end I went up 3 floors of my grandchildrens playcentre .. through things, on things around and under things and down a long slide with them. I held a huge tarantula at a country exhibition's nature stand and a hand-long scorpion and a snake while my grandchildren stood by and helped to support the snake. I wonder what they'll have lined up for my next visit - skydiving? (I've done gliding and firewalking) .. great!! :))))

Posted on 2 Jun 2014 23:31:32 BDT
Last edited by the author on 2 Jun 2014 23:32:07 BDT
Bex says:
We all die, yes sad but a reality. A book that deals with this can therefore only be a postive...sugar coating life for our children will not help them in the future!
‹ Previous 1 Next ›

Review Details

Item

4.8 out of 5 stars (1,491 customer reviews)
 (1,251)