5.0 out of 5 stars Big cats, big love, big impression, 23 Jun 2003
This review is from: Life Of Pi (Paperback)
Life of Pi stands with Marquez's One Hundred Years of Solitude as the most surprising and inventive book I have ever read. The description I read of the book said simply that it was the tale of a boy marooned on a lifeboat in the middle of the Pacific with only a zebra, orangutan, hyena and tiger for company. I was prepared for a fantasy with talking animals who help Pi throughout an adventure until they inevitably wash up on the shore. What I didn't expect it to be was a savagely brutal tale of survival teeming with blood, viscera, fear, despair and the very real teeth and claws of a 450 pound Bengal tiger. What I also didn't expect it to be was a beautiful, moving, heartfelt, loving exploration of loss, determination, belief and spirituality. That it can be both these descriptions at the same time tells you something of the power of this work of art. Life of Pi will be to some people a cracking adventure story, to some a philosophical treatise on the nature of belief and religion and to some a dizzying and confusing mix of the real, the assumed and the fantasy. To me it was quite simply astounding. The realisation of the point the narrator makes to the Japanese investigators at the end made me laugh and cry at the same time and for the first time in ages I felt a tug at my soul towards a higher power. Everyone in the world should read this book and after the last word, close it, take a deep breath and come out changed.

[Add comment]
Name:
Badge:
This badge will be assigned to you and will appear along with your name.
There was an error. Please try again.
Please see the full guidelines ">here.

Official Comment

The following name and badge will be shown with this comment:
 (edit name)

Is this your product?

Otherwise, you can still post a regular comment on this review.

Is this your product?

System timed out

Prompts for sign-in

Comments

Tracked by 3 customers

Sort: Oldest first | Newest first
Showing 1-6 of 6 posts in this discussion
Initial post: 2 Apr 2010 18:42:18 BDT
Tricky says:
I read this book and, about halfway through, wanted to put it in the bin. But, not wanting to ever leave a book unfinished, I carried on (struggled more like) to the end. I've read a lot of reviews of this book and it seems to be one of those that divides opinion. It's very well written and it's evident that the author has talent, but the actual story itself I think is a load of tripe. It's easily the worst book I have ever read in my entire life. By a long way. How anyone can call this a 'work of art' is beyond me. To each their own I guess.

Part of the blurb is 'I have a story that will make you believe in god'. If anyone can explain this to me it'd be appreciated as I can't see how I would believe in god after reading this.

Also, can someone explain the following line which was taken from this review: "The realisation of the point the narrator makes to the Japanese investigators at the end made me laugh and cry at the same time." Now I read and re-read this bit of the book several times thinking that I'd missed something and, evidently, it seems I have. So what is the 'point' the narrator is trying to make?

In reply to an earlier post on 29 Aug 2010 22:45:43 BDT
Tony says:
Maybe the entire book is a work of fiction and Pi himself is fiction too?

I enjoyed it hough and like you have said it is very well written and that in itself warrants at least a 2 or 3 stars rating.

In reply to an earlier post on 4 Oct 2012 23:27:53 BDT
LKV says:
Oh my God. I read that original review and just wanted to stand up and clap! He/she said everything I wanted to and more. I love this book so much.. it actually changed me. That you didn't like it is fine, but "the worst book you have ever read in your entire life"? I'm flabbergasted. Because it's maybe the best I've ever read.

In reply to an earlier post on 27 Dec 2012 09:39:15 GMT
M456AN says:
Perhaps the people that like it like philosophy, and the people that do not like it do not like philosophy.

In reply to an earlier post on 6 Jan 2013 19:25:27 GMT
Last edited by the author on 6 Jan 2013 20:04:53 GMT
Oh Mr Jelly says:
M456AN sorry - I don't thing your theory holds up: I 'm fascinated by philosophy and love it. Hence my extreme disappointment with this book, as in my opinion it contains absolutely nothing of any philosophical significance whatsoever.

PS Like the original reviewer I laughed and cried too: laughed at the pretentiousness and cried at all the time I had wasted struggling through to the end in the hope that the author would somehow retrieve this immature mess of a book.

In reply to an earlier post on 11 Jan 2013 09:58:56 GMT
M456AN says:
thanks for the reply
‹ Previous 1 Next ›

Review Details

Item

4.2 out of 5 stars (3,905 customer reviews)
 (2,111)