3.0 out of 5 stars Canon D600 DSLR & 18-55 lens, 28 Oct. 2011
This review is from: Canon EOS 600D Digital SLR Camera (inc. 18-55 mm f/3.5-5.6 IS II Lens Kit) - (Discontinued by Manufacturer) (Camera)
I have stuck with Canon SLR's since the 600D because I'm left-handed and use my left-eye in the viewfinder. Canon's main dial is operated by the index finder and is well away from the viewfinder, unlike the Nikon main dial which is thumb-operated beside the viewfinder and awkward to use when the right eye is in the way.

Everything about the camera seems sturdy. Being an 18 million MP sensor, I have pushed the ASA up to 1600 in poor light and the images are still fine, in fact I routinely use it at 400 ASA. The fold out screen can also be twisted so that it can be viewed while holding the camera at arms length above a crowd, or in my case above a high wall when photographing trains. I haven't yet shot any movies. I didn't buy it for that anyway. Downloading pictures onto a computer was speedy. The battery lasts forever!

Unfortunately this camera performs worse than my previous Canon 300D of 2004 in two areas. It seems the days of buying Canon for superb optics are over, as the 18-55 lens is the worst I have ever come across and makes a mockery of the 18mmp 600D body. Lens reviews say it is a better optic than the original 18-55 lens of 2004 but the lens that came with my 600D is delivers blurred images. Results from my Canon 50mm f1.8 showed just what the 18 million Megazpixel 600D is capable of and so I purchased a 35mm lens to replace the awful zoom. The camera also delivers lurid reds in sunlit conditions and no amount of adjusting paremeters in the cameras menu has yet solved this problem.

[Add comment]
Name:
Badge:
This badge will be assigned to you and will appear along with your name.
There was an error. Please try again.
Please see the full guidelines ">here.

Official Comment

The following name and badge will be shown with this comment:
 (edit name)

Is this your product?

Otherwise, you can still post a regular comment on this review.

Is this your product?

System timed out

Prompts for sign-in
  [Cancel]

Comments

Track comments by e-mail
Tracked by 4 customers

Sort: Oldest first | Newest first
Showing 1-7 of 7 posts in this discussion
Initial post: 29 Dec 2011 13:32:37 GMT
Sia Gi says:
Hi Larry, thanks for the review. Think you can give me an example of the "Lurid reds"? A link to a couple of pics or anything would be appreciated. Thanks.

Posted on 2 Mar 2012 20:35:40 GMT
S. Nemeth says:
Sounds like problems with the image stabilization feature on the lens because I have yet to take a blurred photo with mine and don't know if I possibly could, and as for the lurid reds, I don't know what to suggest because I don't have that problem either.

Posted on 24 May 2012 21:04:20 BDT
Hi, Thanks for your review. My wife just bought a Canon 550d with 18-55mm lens. The results are pretty poor by photographic standards. I trained as a commercial photographer 40 years ago and manage with a Panansonic compact these days. When I had my old photo gear it was supplied with a prime lens which gave amazing results. I mustt agree with your review Larry.
It would be wiser to buy a camera body and a decent fixed primes lens. i.e. 35, 55, 135, 200, 300 lens whichever suits your needs. It seems todays zooms do not live up to their claims.

Posted on 24 May 2012 21:05:18 BDT

Posted on 11 Jun 2012 23:09:13 BDT
machaon says:
The point you made about left eye viewing is important to me. I was leaning towards the Nikon D5100, but you've changed my mind. Thank you.

In reply to an earlier post on 12 Jul 2012 07:42:11 BDT
Rita Reid says:
Hi,do you go about your suggestion of a camera body and fixed lens?

In reply to an earlier post on 4 Sep 2012 07:58:15 BDT
Last edited by the author on 4 Sep 2012 08:02:53 BDT
K. Miller says:
I have a few different lens, but when I go on holiday I take just two for the convenience and to keek the weight down. I use the Canon 60d with a canon 10-22mm and a Tamron 18-270mm, the pair covering a wide angle of view. Never had problems with zooms. I read reviews on many lens and make a decision from there. Of course price comes into the equation. I also have a 50mm prime and 100mm macro. Anyone with blurred images should maybe take on board how they use the camera, eg: shutter speeds etc and use a tripod on occasions.
‹ Previous 1 Next ›