5.0 out of 5 stars Rayman Origins. A Diamond in all the Rubbish., 26 Nov. 2011
= Fun:5.0 out of 5 stars
This review is from: Rayman Origins (PS3) (Video Game)
The current generation of video games and consoles have left me slightly cold as of late. Having been a gamer most of my life, I have recently become a little disenchanted by what has been made available to us these past 5 years. In the PS2 days all I wanted from the next generation was improved graphics, faster load times and more of the same with what I was playing all ready. Instead, the current generation has become swamped with endless loading screens, unskippable business logos, constant firmware updates, and DLC offers on the day of release. I feel I spend more time waiting these days than I do actually playing.

Thank the heavens for Rayman Origins. I have been waiting years for a game like this. With very little loading times, the game starts you off almost immediately and it is quite simply a joy to play. It looks stunning too. Origins is a simple 2D traditional platforming game. There is no online multiplayer to speak of. Instead the game encourages you to play the traditional way; with friends and family around you. It's the type of game I grew up with and the kind of game I want to see more of in the future.

My concern is that people will overlook this title in favour of the same old same old we've been getting every year for the last 5 years. You all know what I'm talking about. Get off your Call of Dutys and Battlefields. Take a break from post apocalyptic sandboxes and play a game that deserves to be played.

I'm not a reviewer. I find it difficult to express what I think of a game or how best to explain what it is about. But I felt the need to let people know about this game. It is a release that has been met with critical acclaim that's at risk of being overlooked by the big name games you have all played before. Rayman Origins deserves your time, and it deserves that you give it the time to play both on your own and with your nearest and dearest.

[Add comment]
Name:
Badge:
This badge will be assigned to you and will appear along with your name.
There was an error. Please try again.
Please see the full guidelines ">here.

Official Comment

The following name and badge will be shown with this comment:
 (edit name)

Is this your product?

Otherwise, you can still post a regular comment on this review.

Is this your product?

System timed out

Prompts for sign-in

Comments

Sort: Oldest first | Newest first
Showing 1-10 of 10 posts in this discussion
Initial post: 26 Nov 2011 23:04:16 GMT
Jimbo says:
Couldn't agree more... Rayman Origins is a beautiful game and such a joy to play! :>)
It's a shame a lot of these big name 'samey' titles are stealing the limelight when you've got something this creative, mental and 'fun' just crying out to be played and experienced! :>)

Game of the year by a mile for me!

In reply to an earlier post on 28 Nov 2011 11:01:39 GMT
R. King says:
You sir, are amazing.

The gaming industry is going down the toilet, this is the first game in a while that has made me go ''WOW''.

In reply to an earlier post on 30 Nov 2011 23:18:11 GMT
R. Woodcock says:
Thanks guys. Appreciate your comments ;)

Posted on 1 Dec 2011 23:21:02 GMT
R. Woodcock says:
Just read a praising review of Rayman Origins titled "The Most Charming Game You'll Never Play". We all know that this game will be overlooked by most. It's a big shame.

Posted on 3 Dec 2011 03:14:46 GMT
I was wondering whether or not to buy this game as a Christmas present. You just sold me. I also empathise with your feelings about the games industry going to hell. I'm glad I lived through the Golden Age of gaming, but it's sad to see things go this way.

Posted on 8 Dec 2011 18:34:31 GMT
JokerJawz says:
Nice, but your right about over looking it, I was 50/50 about getting this for XMAS. more like 75/25 in favour now cause of your "review".
But I am slightly concerned, I liked the rayman on PS1 rayman 1, rayman 2 and so on, take its more like sonic (old style) if its 2D.

In reply to an earlier post on 8 Dec 2011 21:21:44 GMT
R. Woodcock says:
If you liked Rayman 1 on the PSone then you'll get great pleasure out of Origins.

As much as I like Sonic as a character, I find his games horrendously frustrating to play for the most part.

Rayman on the other hand is magic. It is magical. Everything Sonic gets wrong, Rayman Origins gets so right. When you fail in Origins, it's because of your own ability as a gamer, and not because your character didn't do what you wanted him to do. Failing spurs you on to try harder. In my opinion it isn't frustrating at all. When you complete a level, especially the more challenging ones, there's a real sense of achievement.

At times, parts of the game can be fast (Rayman can even run up walls like Sonic once you unlock the ability), and the game gives you the option to tackle each level with a speed run if you feel like an extra challenge.

Hope this helped ;)

Posted on 11 Feb 2012 19:20:29 GMT
MikeyBoyo says:
Modern Videogaming in a nutshell :( Brilliant review btw :)
The way the videogaming industry is going at the moment, it doesn't look set to get much better :(

Posted on 1 Oct 2012 22:28:44 BDT
Anna Dunne says:
Even though it is a bit late I had to comment to say I love this review!

I have a Wii and a PS3 at the moment and after the initial OMG new computer faze I've found myself never playing my Wii and after nearly a year with my PS3 only having 19 games (which I brought at the beginning of the year), half of which I don't play. I have nothing against games like call of duty (though I've never played it and don't own it) and love stories in games like Bioshock (which I had to get my boyfriend to play for me as I don't really do well in those games) but I just miss games like Rayman, Sonic Adventures, Monkey Island and so on... Hell even Pokemon Black had me wishing I'd never bothered and I have never felt like that with Pokemon games! I just feel some of the love to these games has disappeared. Yes we have great graphics and all this new technology, but the simple, family friendly and above all just fun games have all disappeared.

I haven't bothered with a PS3 game in ages, this review has made me want to buy this game so badly now!

Thank you!

In reply to an earlier post on 11 Oct 2012 19:51:19 BDT
R. Woodcock says:
I'm pleased you agree with me. Thanks for sharing your thoughts. Always good to hear ;)
‹ Previous 1 Next ›

Review Details

Item

4.8 out of 5 stars (105 customer reviews)

£49.99 £13.73