5.0 out of 5 stars Life changing - I'm not kidding!, 25 Oct. 2013
= Fun:5.0 out of 5 stars
This review is from: Rocksmith 2014 Edition - Includes Real Tone Cable (PC DVD) (Video Game)
I was a massive fan of the original Rocksmith even though it was admittedly a flawed piece of software. Annoyingly the biggest gripe many people had with RS1 was the lag which in all cases was down to the hardware you used to display the video or play the audio, nothing to do with the game at all.

Anyway, now we have RS2.0!

Well, the thing that annoyed me most about RS1 was the interface, it sucked, hard. The new interface is silky like Del Boys pyjamas. Its super fast to navigate the track list and really easy to find your way around the different modes. There are many many new ways to sort the track list which really does make a huge difference.

The new arcade games are really polished this time, they are also very much geared to actually making you learn something rather than just get a high score. For instance, the star wars inspired shoot em up shows you the name of the chord and then slowly fills in the colours of the chord in a small hint display, if you already know that chord you can shoot much faster so it pays to actually learn what the chords are called. Works really well!

Session mode is pure witchcraft, its amazing. Set up a pre loaded band and start hitting notes that are shown on the screen in any random order and somehow you are making a noise that could be described as musical (well, musicalish). Time will tell how flexible this tool is, not sure how many different ways of playing there are and how much it really follows you but we shall see!

Multiplayer has some new modes, the usual play a song is there along with some head to head challenge stuff.

Also in single and multiplayer is non-stop play. You can set a time and select a tracklist, or leave it totally up to the game and then just play. Its great, it just keeps throwing song after song at you with just a pause in between.

Now a less positive note. Due to the game now supporting a much larger selection of tunings you will find yourself tuning A LOT. Its not as intrusive as the first game was but I highly recommend that the guitar you play this game with has a fixed bridge and not a floating bridge like a Floyd Rose. Lucky for me I have a few guitars and can leave them in different tunings but if you are just starting out its REALLY important you get a fixed bridge. Having all these different tunings supported is not really negative at all as it will allow many more bands to be supported with their weird tunings, yes, I'm looking at you Biffy Clyro.

The in game tuner does a half decent job of getting your guitar in tune, its better than the RS1 tuner by a long way but I still feel it doesn't do as good a job as a proper chromatic tuner. No idea why this is, but I do get better percentages when I tune with my Snark tuner than the game tuner.

Please don't listen to any review that marks this game down because they didn't like the track list. That is entirely a personal taste opinion that should have no bearing on if you get the game or not. If the songs really are the worst you ever heard (they are not!) then there are 200 odd tracks to choose from on DLC at just under £3 each with more being added every week. Before you take the plunge on DLC, I recommend checking out what they look like with someone else playing them on Youtube, it gives you a much better understanding of the song if you can watch and hear someone else playing it.

If you are in any way thinking you might like to learn guitar but are too shy or cant afford a guitar teacher then buy this game now, I always wanted to learn guitar and now in my 40's having played Rocksmith for the last 2 years I can confidently say I can play guitar. I'm no legend, yet, but I can pick up a guitar and have a stab at most songs put in front of me. I have always owned at least one guitar since I was a small child, never managed to learn any other way but Rocksmith gave me something I always wanted and now I play guitar for at least an hour a day and its not a chore. I'm rocking along with the Foo's or hammering out Get Free by The Vines, strumming along with The Cure. I have a new appreciation of music that I didn't have before learning guitar too. My only regret is that I was born 25 years too early, if I had Rocksmith when I was a lad who knows how good I could have got!! Also I have now increased my guitar collection to 9!

If you have read this far you must be interested in the game, if you are then just buy it, you will never regret it (well, maybe when your fingers start bleeding)....

[Add comment]
Name:
Badge:
This badge will be assigned to you and will appear along with your name.
There was an error. Please try again.
Please see the full guidelines ">here.

Official Comment

The following name and badge will be shown with this comment:
 (edit name)

Is this your product?

Otherwise, you can still post a regular comment on this review.

Is this your product?

System timed out

Prompts for sign-in
  [Cancel]

Comments

Track comments by e-mail
Tracked by 4 customers

Sort: Oldest first | Newest first
Showing 1-10 of 13 posts in this discussion
Initial post: 25 Oct 2013 18:27:42 BDT
Saint One says:
I pre-ordered the xbox version with a guitar included months ago and it was delivered today. I have never played guitar, and like yourself am in my 40's but have been encouraged to give this a try thanks to the many encouraging reviews such as this for RS13 & RS14, trouble is I fractured my shoulder a month ago so I can't get going yet Grrrrrr. Let's hope I can convince my physiopherapist that it's good exercise, meanwhile the guitar is in the corner of the room, waiting.

Posted on 25 Oct 2013 18:36:57 BDT
[Deleted by the author on 25 Oct 2013 18:37:17 BDT]

In reply to an earlier post on 25 Oct 2013 19:33:53 BDT
Lee says:
Hope your shoulder gets better soon so you can get started on your journey. Something I found really useful when I started out a couple of years ago was justinguitar.com High quality FREE guitar lessons that start at the very beginning and give you a good grounding.

Also really recommend you get your guitar setup in a guitar shop, I know it's new but they are mass produced and the machining will have left room for improvement. Getting it set up properly will make it much easier to play and therefore much more pleasurable. It will also head off any intonation problems you might have which can make note recognition in the game frustrating.

How are you hooking up your xbox to your display and sound system?

Posted on 25 Oct 2013 22:06:16 BDT
Awesome review thanks. I have just unwrapped mine. Cant wait to get playing. The last version I had on ps3 but I noticed the pc version had much poorer reviews. I hope that isnt the case this time!

In reply to an earlier post on 25 Oct 2013 22:51:48 BDT
Lee says:
No, in fact last time the best version was the PC version! The only reason it got such poor reviews here was that Ubisoft "forgot" to put CD keys in the boxes which really annoyed quite a lot of people.

I've seen it running on Xbox and PC now (not PS3) and I cant see any difference in performance or visuals.

Good luck playing!

In reply to an earlier post on 26 Oct 2013 10:59:47 BDT
Saint One says:
I've checked out a few clips at justinguitar, looks good all nicely explained,going to visit a guitar shop later with view to getting guitar set up, will look at picking up a tuner while I'm there. When I set up xbox will be using composite lead with audio going via my Arcam Solo Mini, so should get a good sound as TV and HiFi have game modes built in. The xbox version also says it's voice activated using kinect so I think I might have a dabble later.

Posted on 26 Oct 2013 12:22:16 BDT
ItsLloydM8 says:
Hi,

I have no experience of playing the guitar (Or any musical background for that matter) at all, could I use Rocksmith 2014 with zero experience and learn how to play?

Don't get me wrong, I am NOT expecting to become a sensation and have no disillusions about this - I'd just like to be able to strum out some decent tunes and be able to say I taught myself guitar!

I haven't achieved anything else, so with hard work and persistence I'd like to be able to say I managed to achieve this! :)

Thanks everyone.

In reply to an earlier post on 26 Oct 2013 12:29:51 BDT
Lee says:
Sounds like your system will be good for the game. When you go to the guitar shop for a setup they will probably ask you what weight strings you want, 9's are the easiest and lightest to play with but they dont tune down to lower tunings well. 10's are good for most tunings but are a little harder on your fresh fingertips, also depends on what sort of music you like to play, metal tunings are more suited to heavier strings. Look forward to hearing how you get on!

In reply to an earlier post on 26 Oct 2013 12:37:37 BDT
Hi Saksuum.

I started just like you with no musical experience at all 2 years ago on the old Rocksmith which had very limited tutorials and learning tools. This Rocksmith 2014 has lots of new interactive tutorials that cover everything. I've not been through all the tutorials yet (having too much fun playing the music!) but it looks pretty complete to me. To get the best experience of learning I would suggest using justinguitar.com along with Rocksmith, I used to do this and used Rocksmith as a practice tool.

There is no reason at all you wont learn to play to a high level, when you consider the likes of George Harrison, Slash and Eric Clapton were all self taught it makes you think. We are so lucky to have so many learning tools that can show us so many short cuts to being good at this.

It does still take hard work and persistence but the rewards are just life changing.

Good luck!

In reply to an earlier post on 28 Oct 2013 08:28:47 GMT
ppblues says:
Quick question, I have the old rocksmith. When you load the new one into your computer, can you still play the old one?, does the old one dissapear and merges with the new one?, how do you use the play list from the old one in the new one?. Sorry to bother you with so many questions. Thanks a lot for your review.
‹ Previous 1 2 Next ›