3.0 out of 5 stars Hit and Miss, 10 Jun 2010
This review is from: Moon [DVD] [2009] (DVD)
Okay, so chances are that by saying anything remotely negative about this film I will instantly relegate myself to the status of 'social pariah'. There was so much I liked about this film, and yet, there was much that fell short of the mark.

The Pros:

- Sam Rockwell is excellent.
- The score is superb.
- Original idea and story.
- Competently directed - extra kudos given to the fact that it was shot in as little as 33 days.
- No pandering to superficial 'sentimental' types.

The Cons:

- The story, despite it's originality, is ultimately quite dull and unsatisfying from an entertainment viewpoint.
- Intriguing concepts and ideas are introduced but remain unexplored and squandered.
- Too much information is revealed too early, thus leaving little to the imagination - consequently tension and overall enjoyment is reduced.
- Thankfully, whilst it manages to steer well clear of employing Cameron schmaltz and Spielberg-esque saccharine finales, it also fails to induce a tangible sense of empathy with the audience. It's difficult to pinpoint precisely why this is, but the overly clinical execution which keeps the audience at arms length stands out as the main culprit.

Overall my rating is a solid 3 and 1/2 stars out of 5.

[Add comment]
Name:
Badge:
This badge will be assigned to you and will appear along with your name.
There was an error. Please try again.
Please see the full guidelines ">here.

Official Comment

The following name and badge will be shown with this comment:
 (edit name)

Is this your product?

Otherwise, you can still post a regular comment on this review.

Is this your product?

System timed out

Prompts for sign-in

Comments

Tracked by 3 customers

Sort: Oldest first | Newest first
Showing 1-9 of 9 posts in this discussion
Initial post: 10 Jun 2010 11:57:24 BDT
Sounds like you watched the same film as me. It was a good film but it's not brilliant like some customer reviews would imply. Good to see that your prepared for some backlash for being honest because inevitably you will get some negativity, just like i did. Oh well, such is life... i yes voted because i agree with your opinion.

Posted on 5 Jul 2010 01:01:42 BDT
Blackmale says:
Bravely honest for which I thank you.
Bare your knuckles with pride.

In reply to an earlier post on 15 Aug 2010 19:07:05 BDT
N. Carley says:
Ditto, have you noticed that the "you obviously didn't understand it" brigade always give only five or one star reviews, with no sign that they understood anything but the popularity of the film? Baaa.

Posted on 6 Dec 2010 13:03:44 GMT
Mr. J. Ryden says:
Fair play to you; I would probably concur with the rating (possibly more a four from my PoV). I guess it's too successful in its clinical detachment as I was left feeling cold in places. The 'twist' being revealed early didn't really spoil it for me (a friend did that for me) in fact in some ways it's kudos to the film for carrying it despite this.

Nevertheless, to quote Evelyn Hall: ""I disapprove of what you say, but I will defend to the death your right to say it." *That's aimed at the frothing-at-the-mouth internet warriors...

Posted on 6 Dec 2010 14:45:26 GMT
G. Southwell says:
I rarely see backlash for well written reviews, just for people who give one star and just write something stupid in text speak.

I suppose the difference between liking and loving this film is down to the "tangible sense of empathy" you didn't get, I liked the character a lot and had plenty of tangible empathy.

In reply to an earlier post on 27 Feb 2011 14:52:25 GMT
I agree with your points about this film entirely. But I can't ignore that my favourite films are obviously the same as Duncans and It's a long period of waiting between Solaris, Sunshine, and Moon. Who else is making them? I think that it's such a refreshing suprise of a film people dont want to critises it espeacially as it is already vastly underated by and large.

Posted on 24 Mar 2011 13:24:36 GMT
Last edited by the author on 24 Mar 2011 13:26:05 GMT
K. Grunwald says:
Thank you for you for this. I am disabled and seek to be properly informed by reviews so that i can buy, or not, from an informed point of view. "Normally" there is such an horrendous battle on the comments section between the like its and the don't like its that i simply end up confused rather than informed. This has led me to buy movies that i hate. Indeed i have all but reached a point where i have washed my hands of Amazon for dvds.
Your review has renewed my faith in Amazon reviews and i will be making a point of keeping an eye open for yours.
Many thanks!

In reply to an earlier post on 24 Mar 2011 14:40:01 GMT
Franco says:
Dear K. Grunwald,

Your very welcome. And thank you for the kind words and feedback.

A Viewer.

Posted on 27 Nov 2011 21:07:09 GMT
I loved your comment 'social pariah', I gave a negative review to a Kindle I had (was faulty) and was called a 'liar' by a complete stranger! Agree with you on the film BTW.
‹ Previous 1 Next ›

Review Details

Item

4.2 out of 5 stars (254 customer reviews)

£19.99 £2.86