4.0 out of 5 stars Good product compromised by instructions, 21 Nov 2011
This review is from: Visible Dust 1.6x Size Sensor Cleaning Kit (1ml Smear Away Solution and 4 Green Swabs) (Accessory)
Before purchasing this I did some online research, got some additional tips from a professional photographer and then took the plunge.
For a couple of months I've had a couple of distracting dust spots on my Nikon D7000 sensor which the inbuilt sensor cleaner wasn't disloging, nor gentle blowing with a, well, a blower.
I didn't want to commit to almost £30 for a pack of swabs, or an additional £16 for 7.5 mls of cleaning fluid, for what I assume will be a process I'll only do every 6 months or so max.
This item isn't reviewed on Amazon, nor even very well described. I learnt more by searching some more expensive sites and other seperate reviews which were a bit average. My photgrapher friend swore by 'Visible Dust' products as he'd tried a few and this one didn't leave smear marks. (I did find a poor review saying this product did, but read on).
I still don't know what a 'Mini Nass' is, perhaps someone can assist with my ignorance here.
The kit has 4 individually sealed swabs, and a 1ml tiny bottle of sensor cleaning fluid. On the front of the pack it stated this fluid was more suitable for water based marks than oil. (It's the blue to red band on the side of the pack only just visible when you enlarge the amazon photo) for this reason if you have an oil based smear look to a different class of fluid, but this one is fine for removing dust marks (the swab has to be damp to prevent scratching apparently)
Here's why I didn't give this product a 5/5. The instructions amount to a series of 4 pictures guiding from putting drops of fluid onto the swab, to wiping the sensor. Easy enough but on my first attempt I mistakenly ended up putting too much fluid on the swab. It wasn't obvious but as soon as I was wiping the sensor I realised. The fluid isn't that obvious on the swab, and you can't touch the swab as you'll end up with traces of oil from your fingers, no matter how clean they are.
Once the excessive cleaning fluid had dried this left what looked to be an horrendous smear stain over a third of the sensor and I nearly bricked it. Cursing I waited 30 minutes to calm down and try again. (At £4 a swipe this is expensive)
Next time I was extremely careful to put the minimal amount of fluid onto a fresh swab before I wiped the sensor.
This time it went perfectly and the sensor was as clean as when brand new. I did a few test shots on the smallest aperture and this confirmed the sensor was spotless.
My reasoning for buying this mini kit was, it should last at least 18 - 24 months and be easy to carry in my kit bag, and I wasn't forking out nigh on £50. It works out as I say at approx £4 a clean, however purchasing the seperate swabs and specialist fluid equate I guess to about £3 a clean.
If you're of a nervous disposition or have shaky hands consider a professional clean at a dealers. It costs a lot, but then so did your camera and there's a warranty too to consider.
Hope this review helps.

Be the first person to comment on this review.

[Add comment]