4.0 out of 5 stars Brilliant - once you get it to work, 6 Jan 2013
This review is from: Gopro Wi-Fi Bacpac, Combi Remote Kit (Sports)
I bought the WiFi Bacpac so I could control my Hero2 camera whilst it was on my Quadcopter, so I didn't have to land in order to change from say video to still etc.
I received the Bacpac in good time, and noticed that as stated in other reviews it said on a card in the box that you have to perform an update in order to get it working correctly - what a nightmare that turned out to be so I thought I would share the experience here - all came right in the end, but I learned a few things along the way which might be helpful to others.
Firstly I made sure that my Cineform Studio software was fully up to date - this is easy to do as the software checks if a newer version is available on start up.
I next connected my Hero2 camera, WiFi BacPac and remote as per the instructions and sure enough the software reported that an update was available and a blue 'update' button appeared which I duly pressed.
The updates were downloaded and installed without any obvious problems, that is until after the 'update successful' message appeared and the BacPac turned itself off and then promptly refused to turn back on again - the screen remained totally blank and the unit appeared 'dead' furthermore it began continually toggling between connected and disconnected accompanied by the familiar 'de dunk' noise that sounds when you connect a USB device.
That seemed to be that and after a few hours of listening to the continuous 'de dunking' sounds I got absolutely nowhere so I sent off an SOS to GoPro tech support, switched everything off and waited.
Not heard anything from Tech support as yet however I decided to persist and see if I could do anything - I started Cineform Studio (make sure you disable any virus software at this point) and connected the BacPac on it's own (you don't need the camera for this) via the USB lead and just left it alone - it constantly toggled on and off for ages again but eventually the BacPac showed up in cineforms device window with an 'update' button - I pressed this and waited with baited breath, after several failures because the USB kept disconnecting itself it eventually did the update and hey presto, the Bacpac sprang back to life and the screen came back on.
I then connected the remote (which will not update unless the Bacpac is connected as well) and it detected an update which installed OK.
All is now OK and the BacPac and remote are working fine - after trawling the net to investigate this problem it seems quite a few people have experienced the same problem, whether a fix is available from GoPro or not I don't know - If I get a response from tech support I will write another review to let you know what they say.
I've given the BacPac 4 stars because it works well once you get it sorted out, why some people have such trouble updating and others find it a breeze I really don't know, so if you have had similar problems I hope this might be of some assistance to you.

Be the first person to comment on this review.

[Add comment]