3.0 out of 5 stars Music from the 1930s, 11 Feb. 2006
This review is from: Pennies from Heaven: Music from the TV Series & Other Songs from the 1930s (Audio CD)
I came close to awarding this collection 4 out of 5, but then thought better of it.

A purist would find this CD a disappointment, since fewer than half of the 48 tracks come from the BBC television series, (the vast majority of the originals were omitted, or a different version given) and the title could therefore be considered misleading.

Although two versions of the title song 'Pennies from Heaven' appear, one by Bing Crosby and another by 'The Street Singer' Arthur Tracy, only the latter appeared in the television series , where (according to my treasured LPs) it was also sung by Edward Molloy with Louis Levy and the Gaumont British Symphony.

The inclusion of several American recordings, notably those by Bing Crosby and Fred Astaire, detracts from the simple charm of the original, which is a pity.

However, with the exception of Fred Astaire's 'Let's Face the Music and Dance' which appears to have been taken from a movie soundtrack, they are all perfectly good recordings and a good example of the popular music of that time.

[Add comment]
Name:
Badge:
This badge will be assigned to you and will appear along with your name.
There was an error. Please try again.
Please see the full guidelines ">here.

Official Comment

The following name and badge will be shown with this comment:
 (edit name)

Is this your product?

Otherwise, you can still post a regular comment on this review.

Is this your product?

System timed out

Prompts for sign-in

Comments

Tracked by 2 customers

Sort: Oldest first | Newest first
Showing 1-9 of 9 posts in this discussion
Initial post: 11 Sep 2010 18:15:33 BDT
P. G. Croft says:
I agree with your assessment, but you have to be real sticklers, for detail (like us ) to fault it. I -ALWAYS-know if a favourite music track isn't THE version I like, or, it's the album version and not the single release, and even another 'take' has been chosen. I find it irritating. When I bought the 7 cd collection of the great Chet Atkins pre 1961 catalogue--on the German 'Bear' label, of all places, I was a bit miffed to find that many tracks were not the original recordings but more recently done for this set . Also--beware of cheap 'collection of hits' by famous groups from the 50s-60's and 70's---they mostly ain't originals, and there might only be ONE original member in it. They JUST DON'T--sound the same.

In reply to an earlier post on 12 Sep 2010 23:05:04 BDT
So true - re-recordings are seldom of the same quality as the originals, despite the argument that they have been produced with improved technology (Duane Eddy springs to mind). On the other hand, discovering new versions of jazz tunes can be a joy - from Glenn Miller to Bix Beiderbecke, Humphrey Lyttelton and Chris Barber. This must say something about the style of the music itself.

In reply to an earlier post on 13 Sep 2010 11:04:04 BDT
P. G. Croft says:
I suppose jazz and other forms of music that rely on interpretation, so as to render a personal and spontaneous performance, can never be repeated exactly---and shouldn't be. One area of great advantage with 'cleaning up' and remastering, is when you hear a favourite old recording, ( I'm even going back to Shellac here---it's my age) with this treatment, it's like---in the past, you have been listening with a box on your head. Suddenly, this 'old' recording comes to life, there are many higher frequencies/ instruments--that you didn't know were there. The studios have had the technology to record it all---it was just the limitations of our reproducing equippment that hid it all. I've been tracking down all my lost/broken/wornout favourtes from the past, on CD's. All thanks to Amazon etc, I've achieved most of my goal. What would have taken years to browes through markets and s/hand shops, has been achieved in a few months. Regards pgc.

Posted on 17 Apr 2012 16:50:09 BDT
HI, I am wanting to get some of that good old 1930s music as a present for my mum shose birthday is on 21st May. When I started out I never realized the HASSLE of trying to get this type of music!! I am confused because there are TWo available CD packs which claim to have the soundtrack of Pennies from heaven TV series, this one you reviewed and another VERy pricey one--priced at £65.
Now when you say this:
Since this review was first written, a full selection of music from the television series HAS been issued - with no less than 69 tracks. However, the price left me gasping for breath! " which one are you talking about--this one here which still sound fairly cheap or the other one I have seen? I am hopeless confused about this and Amazon are no ruddy help at all not giving the tracks. After I get ONE of em I am gonna give someone at Amazon a mouthful!

In reply to an earlier post on 23 Apr 2012 09:58:32 BDT
Last edited by the author on 24 Apr 2012 03:47:45 BDT
I've only just come across your post, so will have missed Mum's birthday. Hope she had a good one anyway.
I don't think I've seen the more expensive Pennies from Heaven, but have been able to build up my collection with a number of CDs (none of them expensive) from a variety of sources, our local cut-price store (similar to Woolworth's in the old days) and good-quality second-hand discs through NZ's online auction site. The Great British Dance Bands, The Great London Dance Bands (and similar titles), and collections by such band leaders as Roy Fox, Ambrose, Geraldo, Harry Roy, Billy Cotton, Nat Gonella, Ray Noble and others.
This is in addition to all my other musical interests, including jazz and American swing music.
Typically, I would pay the equivalent of between £2 and £7, including postage, although I must admit that my collection has got to the stage where it's difficult to find anything new to add, quite apart from the question of storage space.
Sorry I can't be of more help, but good luck anyway.
AS
.._

In reply to an earlier post on 21 May 2012 13:47:17 BDT
Last edited by the author on 21 May 2012 13:48:49 BDT
Pennies From Heaven

Pennies From Heaven - 48 Original Recordings

Pennies From Heaven

In reply to an earlier post on 21 May 2012 14:39:51 BDT
HI Amos. I ended up getting the new CD of Pennies From Heaven, and gave it to my mum today as her Birthday present. Her JOY at getting it, and listening to it, has taken away any disappointment I may have had about the expensive cost etc, but thanks very much for your well wishes and help :)

In reply to an earlier post on 25 May 2012 19:29:19 BDT