5.0 out of 5 stars Very good game., 24 Feb. 2010
= Fun:5.0 out of 5 stars
This review is from: Age of Empires III Gold (PC) (Video Game)
I had a few problems with install, but it was my own fault, just make sure you don't uninstall the demo versions WHILE installing the full versions, I found this out the hard way.

Inside it contains:
Age of Empires III
Age of Empires: War Chiefs expansion

I was a little disappointed to discover it didn't come with Asian Dynasties, but again, I guess it was my fault for not thoroughly checking.

Graphics/ Performance:
It runs great on my system with Shadows set to low, the graphics are still beautiful, considering my outdated rig, everything else on maximum, here are my specs:

ATI 4650
1GB RAM
Intel Pentium 4 3.2Ghz

This game ran amazingly well considering it's an RTS and they don't usually handle well on single core CPUs, but wow, was I impressed, I usually get 60+ fps during the start, my framerate drops throughout the game as I build more and more, and the game becomes cluttered, but even then, the lowest I've seen it drop to is 35 fps, which is still brilliant.

Gameplay Review:
The game, and expansion, was fun and featured several campaigns which I enjoyed greatly, The Home town was also a great implementation, along with Ensemble Studios giving perks and disadvantages to each playable Civilisation, this caused me to think more about tactics, which involved logical planning, which was extremely clever.

The Skirmish mode was also fun. It is the feature I've used most in this game, You choose a Civ and fight various other Civs and customise your Cities through experience earned, You can play pre made maps or make your own using the Scenario editor, which, Like all of the 'Age' games, is fantastic, you can build anything from large forts, garrisoning hundreds, even thousands of troops, or you can build a small village, containing settlers and resources, all this achievable on your custom made maps, where you can make ANYTHING you see in the campaigns and throughout the rest of the game.

My only complaints are that in some places, it has been dumbed down from Age of Empires II, but more than makes up for it in others, also, apart from visuals, the combat hasn't improved much, my horde of 100 British musketeers and cannon still have to halt to kill a few measly settlers, rather than just charging through, slaughtering them with their bayonets/ swords.

Overall:
9/10
My favourite Age of Empires game and RTS to date.

Be the first person to comment on this review.

[Add comment]