3.0 out of 5 stars Curiously average, 13 Jun 2011
This review is from: The Curious Case Of Benjamin Button [DVD] [2009] (DVD)
David Fincher's THE CURIOUS CASE OF BENJAMIN BUTTON is beautifully filmed and filled with excellent performances, but the script is unable to carry it to the heights it was clearly aiming for.

Throughout I was reminded of Forrest Gump, and some quick research after revealed that it was indeed penned by the same writer. We have the story of an outsider who lives an extraordinary life told through flashbacks and narration, and both films seemed to hit many of the same beats.

What makes it a different story from Forrest Gump - and all other films - is that its main character ages in reverse. However, I was left with the question of how much difference this gimmick actually made. Benjamin Button is born physically as an old man and then regresses into childhood, but to all intents and purposes he goes through the same stages of life that we all do. Take away the central gimmick and very little changes (except there wouldn't be any scenes that approach creepy). What you're left with is a fairly bog standard story elevated by the director and actors.

[Add comment]
Name:
Badge:
This badge will be assigned to you and will appear along with your name.
There was an error. Please try again.
Please see the full guidelines ">here.

Official Comment

The following name and badge will be shown with this comment:
 (edit name)

Is this your product?

Otherwise, you can still post a regular comment on this review.

Is this your product?

System timed out

Prompts for sign-in

Comments

Sort: Oldest first | Newest first
Showing 1-2 of 2 posts in this discussion
Initial post: 14 Mar 2013 14:41:16 GMT
Last edited by the author on 14 Mar 2013 14:43:08 GMT
I am studying this script in my English degree right now- and you couldn't possibly be more wrong! I suggest you READ screen plays before making such stupid and ill informed judgements. And what a stupid thing you said in the third paragraph- are you that thick that you did not notice that it was kind of THE POINT of the film to show that dichotomy between growing older and growing younger.

Posted on 21 Jun 2013 10:40:21 BDT
Last edited by the author on 21 Jun 2013 10:52:23 BDT
S. Haddow says:
I saw this film called star wars, and if I take away all the science fiction, and transplant it to rural arkansas, it's really just a story of a boy who dreams that life could be more. Or am I missing the fandamental point?
Although I think Button exists on many levels, I see what you are trying to express - is the reverse aging just a gimmick? However I don't think so. On the one hand, at the most basic level, where we all journey from young to old with a view that younger was better and simpler etc, this film turns that around, and presents a lot of poingancy around the end of buttons life - which in many ways is just a sad as the death of any old person. All of that long life reduced to a state of increasing helplessness, a shrinking understanding of the world around. Not that that's everybodies end, however to transplant those elements on a state of advancing infancy I think forces us to confront mortality in a way that we wouldn't if button was simply an old man. i.e. sad though Blanchetts characters state is i.e. a an old woman in hospital, I don't think it pushes any dramatic buttons. I also think that the young Button, in the old body makes us view old age differently. And that's the films central mechanism - without it, there would be no story to tell. But with it, it makes us view a relatively ordinary life in a very different way.
‹ Previous 1 Next ›

Review Details

Item

3.9 out of 5 stars (188 customer reviews)

£19.99 £2.99