3.0 out of 5 stars Brilliant drive, when it doesn't crash, 1 Mar. 2013
This review is from: Crucial CT256M4SSD3 256GB M4 SATA III 6Gb/s mSATA MLC Internal SSD (Personal Computers)
I've been using this drive in a Samsung Series 9 laptop for 3 months and it has worked perfectly every day. Read/write speeds have been good, it has improved performance over the drive that came with the laptop, and provided me with the space that I need.

Unfortunately, the drive stopped working yesterday. The screen froze whilst using Chrome and I had no choice but to long-press the power button to shut the machine down. On re-boot, the laptop no longer recognised the SSD. Going through bios implied that it wasn't connected at all; an invisible drive.

The first thing I did was to re-install the original SSD that came with the laptop. This was recognised immediately and allowed me to boot up the machine, proving to me that it was a disk fault rather than a laptop fault. I then did a few searches online and discovered a number of people who had experienced the same problem with this drive. The 1 star reviews on Amazon alight to the problem, which lies in the firmware that ships with the drive. If you experience a problem with a piece of software, or have a blip in the power supply going to the drive, it will freeze (or the SSD equivalent) and render itself invisible to the bios. Thankfully there is a solution which worked for me (and a few others) and has been suggested by Crucial:

You will have to boot the laptop into bios (the first bios screen is fine) and leave it there for 30 minutes. You then power the laptop down and remove the drive for at least 30 seconds. You then insert the drive back in, boot to bios and leave it powered on for another 30 minutes. The advice from Crucial is that you should now remove the drive for 30 seconds and then try and boot the machine normally. I didn't have to do this. As soon as I reset the machine I saw the familiar Windows logo appear and it booted normally. This process helps the laptop's bios reset some settings and then makes it look for the drive again. So the SSD is not broken per se, it just needs to be refreshed through this process.

Crucial advise updating the firmware. I will do this after I've mirrored the drive so I know I won't lose everything if something goes wrong. Hopefully that will solve this problem.

I've only experience the problem once, but obviously it's quite a big deal when it does happen (especially when you use the machine to run your own business). I'm now going to be a little wary of it until it proves itself again to me. Thankfully I use the cloud to back everything up in real time, so I knew I hadn't lost any of my files, just the time required to either follow the process above, or wait for a replacement to be sent out and then re-install everything from scratch. It's still not ideal though.

I will update this if I have any more problems.

****

8 months on and the drive has failed again. Left the laptop locked and charging, then went out to lunch. Noticed when I came back that the keyboard was lit up, but couldn't get the screen to activate, forcing a hard re-boot. It immediately came back to say that it couldn't find a hard disk. Thankfully I have the instructions above to remedy, again. Very annoying though

[Add comment]
Name:
Badge:
This badge will be assigned to you and will appear along with your name.
There was an error. Please try again.
Please see the full guidelines ">here.

Official Comment

The following name and badge will be shown with this comment:
 (edit name)

Is this your product?

Otherwise, you can still post a regular comment on this review.

Is this your product?

System timed out

Prompts for sign-in

Comments

Tracked by 1 customer

Sort: Oldest first | Newest first
Showing 1-6 of 6 posts in this discussion
Initial post: 5 Mar 2013 14:09:53 GMT
J Mac says:
Hi Neil thanks for the warning and a solution.
GL with firmware upgrade.

Posted on 17 May 2013 13:11:57 BDT
Z. Musharraf says:
This has happened to me 3 times - first on a drive that I returned, then twice in the replacement... There is a new firmware out however (dated 26 March 2013) which seems to mention resolving such an issue - going to try it out and hope for the best.

Posted on 3 Jun 2013 16:10:04 BDT
A. Tierney says:
Initially I had the same thing - laptop crashed, wouldn't detect SSD. Left in BIOS for 30 minutes, rebooted, and it worked.

3 weeks on, I start getting random locks and resets. Bad blocks on the SSD. Currently letting it sit in BIOS for 8 hours to see if that fixes it, as per Crucials recommendation.

This is the second mSATA SSD I have owned and had fail.

Posted on 22 Oct 2013 15:22:02 BDT
Frugirunefru says:
Hi Niel,
Thanks for your contribution.
I also use this very same drive as an upgrade in my Samsung Series 9 notebook and after 4 months of use the precise same thing happened to me (upon a power 'blip' straight after connecting the computer, which was running low in battery power, to its original power supply unit and turning the latter on via the socket switch).
I will now try the solution you posted and hope it works.

Was the FW upgrade worth it or is it still fragile?
Any reports re: this i the newer (?) m500 series of those SSDs from Crucial?

In reply to an earlier post on 4 Nov 2013 14:51:29 GMT
It has just happened to me again. Not sure what firmware I'm running now, to be honest. Just in the process of the first bios boot, but will try and take a look later if it is working.

Not heard anything about the newer versions. Hopefully they've fixed whatever the problem is.

Posted on 4 Nov 2013 14:53:50 GMT