5.0 out of 5 stars Brilliant camera, 24 Jun 2011
This review is from: Sony DSCHX9VB Cyber-shot Digital Still Camera - Black (16.2MP, 16x Optical Zoom) 3 inch LCD (discontinued by manufacturer) (Electronics)
As a Panasonic owner (TZ3) for several years now, I was thrilled to put my hands on the new TZ20 as it just hit the markets. Although this is a brilliant camera from many aspects there was one aspect that made me return it to Amazon - terrible image quality above ISO 100. This brought me back to the market in a search for a better camera. First I checked the Nikon S9100. that was not much better than the Panasonic in terms of Image quality and inferior in all other aspects - so this one went back as well.

Then I've put my hands on the Sony HX9 and never looked back ... Superior to the other two in all aspects but one - Macro photography that seems a bit fiddly and although both the Sony and the Panasonic are sharing the same minimal focal length of 24mm, the Panasonic was able to focus on objects a bit closer than the Sony - disappointing but not a showbreaker for me.

The Sony HD video is very impressive and better than the Panasonic. Image quality in very good in versatile scenarios - be it a cloudy day, evening or indoors the Sony produces impressive image quality comparing to its competitors. For example, I've took it to the Summer Solstice in Stonehenge this week and was able to take crisp image in first light without using a flash - hats off for Sony. I was also very impressed by the Intelligent Sweep Panorama feature - very useful when trying to capture landscape or big crowds in the landscape (Stonehenge again ...). The battery life is better than the other two cameras and I rarely need to use the spare battery although putting the camera into hard work (videos and still images).

Although a bit pricy comparing to the competition this camera worth the extra pounds as its quality is close to DSLR. I've fallen after this little gem over the last several weeks and would recommend it to everyone which is in the market - the extra pounds will save you the buckets of tears over image quality produced by current direct competitors.

[Add comment]
Name:
Badge:
This badge will be assigned to you and will appear along with your name.
There was an error. Please try again.
Please see the full guidelines ">here.

Official Comment

The following name and badge will be shown with this comment:
 (edit name)

Is this your product?

Otherwise, you can still post a regular comment on this review.

Is this your product?

System timed out

Prompts for sign-in

Comments

Tracked by 7 customers

Sort: Oldest first | Newest first
Showing 11-17 of 17 posts in this discussion
In reply to an earlier post on 29 Nov 2011 09:41:16 GMT
pauland says:
"However, for less money i bought a sony nex3". I have yet to find any retailer selling a nex3 at a comparable price, let alone cheaper. The nex3 HD video is at 720p rather than the 1080 of the HX9.

So who is selling nex3 systems cheaper than the HX9?

Posted on 29 Nov 2011 17:51:52 GMT
Last edited by the author on 29 Nov 2011 17:56:10 GMT
K. A. Bain says:
i agree with all the comments above i was also a regular user of the panasonic tz class but as the new ones came along im my opinion
the quality went off the cliff. i even had comments from people saying how wrong i was saying i didnt know what camera i was talking about when i posted comments about this, i think they possibly worked for panasonic if you read a lot of comments you get a feeling that there are people employed to big up panasonic in the comments sections. anyway so i am looking forward to getting my hands on this camera hopefully for christmas.
cant wait.

In reply to an earlier post on 15 Dec 2011 13:48:40 GMT
Amazon provide this service for exactly that reason. I've read tonnes of reviews on products before purchasing only to find I didn't like the product once I'd received it, one example being a set of headphones. Try the same thing with curry's or comet. Even Argos ask questions... Its one of the reasons I keep using Amazon and still sometimes pay slightly more than high street shops because I know there will not be a single question asked if I'm not happy for whatever reason. I've also just returned a camera because I didn't like the image quality... should I have accepted it so as not to abuse Amazons good service? No I'll order another one see if that's any better....

In reply to an earlier post on 16 Dec 2011 08:12:51 GMT
J. Neighbour says:
I couldn't agree more. I've never once had any problem with Amazon's return policy/customer service, that's the reason I use them all the time, not that I've had to return stuff more than on a couple of occasions. I'm just about to order this camera on the strength of customer reviews and I'm keeping fingers crossed, but with the knowledge that if there's any problem then it's going to be promptly resolved.

In reply to an earlier post on 26 Dec 2011 17:27:57 GMT
absolutely agree. bought a fz45. still quality not in the same league as my old tz5. i shall give up on panasonic from now on. how the reviews can be so good and the results so poor i do not understand

Posted on 27 Jan 2012 00:35:05 GMT
Last edited by the author on 27 Jan 2012 00:37:42 GMT
BernardM says:
Thanks for the informative review. Some reviewers in other places have commented on slowness starting and responding to some controls. Have you found this to be an issue? By the way I've been using the Lumix ZS7 (TZ10) for 2 years and have been very happy with but I'm looking for an upgrade. As others have commented the Lumix's low light performance isn't stellar especially above ISO400.

In reply to an earlier post on 8 May 2012 12:19:04 BDT
A. K. Carron says:
Stephen, your final two words hit the nail on the head. Small cameras sell very well for a reason - size matters. I considered the Nex series cameras for the reasons you give but for me their bulk with the lens is a deal breaker. So good now are cameras like the HX9V that for many including myself who want a really good small general purpose camera, any difference in end result would probably be acceptable, if not go unnoticed.
‹ Previous 1 2 Next ›