3.0 out of 5 stars Good PC security protection, but has issues?, 9 Jan 2011
This review is from: Webroot Internet Security Complete 2011, 3 user (PC) (CD-ROM)
Customer review from the Amazon Vine Programme (What's this?)
I have been an avid follower of Webroot security software for 3-4 years now, after I used this software to remove a particularly nasty virus that my old PC had. Over the years, Webroot have improved their software year after year, building on its effectiveness and its capabilities each time.

Webroot Internet Security Complete 2011 is a further enhancement of their previous 2010 Internet Security package, this time increasing their "free" built in on-line backup/recovery storage to 10Gb, and also adding Password Security functionality.

As an internet security package, this software is good. It certainly does what it says it does, without being a resource hungry beast, such as MacAfee and Norton. It is well thought out and easy to use, but still allowing a fair degree of customisation. The main components are:

* anti-virus, standard virus scanning and protection, including a firewall
* on-line file sync./sharing - specify files and folders to backup and/or share to your online account
* system cleaner - tidies up all those temporary and internet files
* identity/privacy - including components for anti-spam, anti-phishing, secure browsing and an on-line password vault.

All of this is fairly standard in many internet security packages these days, and it does work well, so why only 3 stars? My 2 main gripes were the installation and start-up issues. I think if you are new to Webroot then the first one will not apply, but I had to uninstall my previous version first and therefore lose all my customisations. In addition to this, I had to create a new Webroot account, which meant that all of my previously backed up files not only needed me to be identified again, but also upload them again. As for the start-up issues, I had no issues installing Webroot, but it is quite noticeable now that some of my drivers produce errors when I log into the PC, asking me to reinstall them.

A third area for caution is that the on-line password management and on-line backup facility, once your subscription expires, will no longer be accessible. I suppose this makes sense, as you are only paying for a 1 year licence, but something to be mindful of if you are not intending to renew.

As for someone who has been so very pleased with Webroot software over the past few years (I have written several very positive reviews before now, for Amazon), this package has left me somewhat deflated, so, sorry Webroot, only an average product and a bit too buggy for me.

Be the first person to comment on this review.

[Add comment]