5.0 out of 5 stars What Christianity really is, 15 July 2009
This review is from: CROSS AND THE SWITCHBLADE: The Greatest Inspirational True Story of All Time (Paperback)
Christianity is coming under an unprecendented degree of attack these days and, the truth is, I think we've brought some of it on ourselves. There's no condemnation in that - Christians are, for the most part, very loving, and *want* to extend His hand to others - however, we seem to have grown weary and, collectively, we aren't showing the world who Jesus is. I know that if I were to see another Christian write that, my pride would balk at it... but it's the truth. As individuals, we may be doing everything we can; but the church, as a body, is letting people down - both Christians and non-. But David Wilkerson genuinely went out into the world and showed people who Jesus is... and he's still doing it to this day.

Christ tells His followers to love those in need, to feed the poor and to clothe the naked; to give what we have, and never fear about not having enough for ourselves; to bless the people that hate you, to soak their hatred up like a sponge and, in return, give them love. So in the 1960s, David Wilkerson - a small-town preacher - felt led to go to New York, where he went out into the streets and told the gangs about the love of God.

The gangs then were every bit as vicious and hateful and hated as the gangs of today. But, on his own, he spent months and months sleeping in his car so he could be amongst them, loving them. He made no grand gestures - he just kept his word to never leave them, and to love them and hold them even when they threatened his life. It took a long time, but people gradually started coming to Christ. These evil, hateful gang-members - ostensibly soulless in their rage - slowly laid down their hate and accepted new lives as Christians. Nicky Cruz (author of Run Baby Run) is the most famous of the converts, but countless men and women's lives were forever changed.

The Cross and the Switchblade also details God's provisions - how David Wilkerson found God providing a house so he could take in people wanting to change their lives; how He always provided food and mortgage payments just in time, often given through total strangers who felt led to give, turning up on his doorstep with their offering, despite never having heard of him...

In reading this, you see what love in action can actually achieve; how even the most hateful of people are at a loss when faced with the enormity of God's grace and love. Equally, you see how God is still performing miracles, today, here and now. This isn't a silly book for people who are deluded enough to believe in a "sky-fairy". It is a verified, factual, unimpeachable testimony - grounded, reasoned, beautiful and miraculous. If only more of us had the courage and the faith to follow in both Christ's and David Wilkerson's footsteps.

This isn't just a book for Christians. It will inspire and touch and move and bless those who already have faith in Christ. But, even for those who don't, it will show what Christianity really is. When Christians follow Christ's exortations, this is what happens - if you've ever wondered why so many of us follow Him, this will explain, far more succinctly than any apologetics or polemic.

[Add comment]
Name:
Badge:
This badge will be assigned to you and will appear along with your name.
There was an error. Please try again.
Please see the full guidelines ">here.

Official Comment

The following name and badge will be shown with this comment:
 (edit name)

Is this your product?

Otherwise, you can still post a regular comment on this review.

Is this your product?

System timed out

Prompts for sign-in

Comments

Tracked by 1 customer

Sort: Oldest first | Newest first
Showing 1-10 of 13 posts in this discussion
Initial post: 23 Sep 2009 00:24:20 BDT
love reading says:
I love this book too Anna and have read it to my son when he was a little boy. he loved it until they all became Christians and then said it got boring! lol! how little did he know!

Posted on 24 Sep 2009 09:25:58 BDT

In reply to an earlier post on 24 Sep 2009 23:33:54 BDT
Magic Lemur says:
Hmm, I disagree - Christianity in its concept is far less Barbarous than Islam. As I heard one Preacher say 'In Islam, God asks you to die for him. In Christianity, God died for you'.

OK the Old testament is a bit cringe-worthy & the Catholic church has done a number of wrong things, but the concept of idolising a perfect man in the form of an anti war, anti violence & egalitarian leader that was Jesus is something even Dawkins admires: http://richarddawkins.net/article,20,Atheists-for-Jesus,Richard-Dawkins .

Although I don't believe either, I'd much rather have the New Testament than the Koran.

In reply to an earlier post on 25 Sep 2009 08:30:59 BDT
Babylon is the origin, look at the similarities between Tammus and Jesus to expose the falsehoods of organised religion. I am starting a disorganised religion, I just need to get crucified. As for miracles, I can turn wine into water, eventually. Eschatology studies expose the fine intermeshing of ideologies of Christianity and Islam. Islam is better prepared for conflict. The one eyed liar is coming!

Barbara Barbar-Baran - Faith expert

In reply to an earlier post on 25 Sep 2009 21:26:06 BDT
Magic Lemur says:
Islam & Christianity are similar, but different. If we are to look at Jesus vs Mohammed for example, we see a mad but harmless preacher on the one hand (in the sense that he never injured anyone physically or incited others to do so) & a warlord on the other.
Islam may mean 'peace', but only among breathren & the penalty for apostacy is death. Christianity on the other hand has no penalty for apostacy (or at least not one that is practiced as killing people is not something fitting with a Christ follower).

Anyways, I think you mistook me for a believer (which I'm not). I just think that casting all religions as the same & seeking to see them as entirely rotten & without redeeming qualities is to burn bridges & lose potential followers...

In reply to an earlier post on 26 Sep 2009 08:01:25 BDT
Lark says:
TDP Ramsey Tupper is a troll. Someone who posts nonsense online because everyone ignores them in person. He didnt mistake you for anything, other than taking him seriously that is.

In reply to an earlier post on 26 Sep 2009 10:32:27 BDT

Posted on 28 Sep 2009 16:55:30 BDT
Anna says:
This will be my one and only post to you, Ramsey. I've always had you on ignore as I have no interest in reading what you write. I don't find any of it interesting or fascinating - if anything, I feel sad for you. So I've no interest in getting involved in a vicious little contest with you as so many others have been baited into doing; I won't spend time tearing people down or trying to make them feel bad so I don't have what you need to feed off. Sera69 seems to like you, and he is genuinely lovely so it would be wonderful if you could sit back and appreciate that someone as nice as that considers you worthwhile.

In any event, leave me as many bitchy comments and as many unhelpful votes as you need: I truly hope it somehow helps you. We won't speak again, you and I, so I'll use this opportunity to tell you I forgive you. I wanted you to know that. I'm sure you'll leave a response, and I'm sure it'll be very impressive, but let me assure you, I'll never see it. Take care.

In reply to an earlier post on 29 Sep 2009 11:01:24 BDT

In reply to an earlier post on 14 Jan 2010 19:39:52 GMT
Last edited by the author on 14 Jan 2010 19:45:31 GMT
shpadoinkle says:
Is that true, that Islam asks all Muslims to die for God? If so, I'm surprised it has so many members!
But thanks for the link. :)
Ramsey Tupper - please leave Anna alone. She is a lovely person. I imagine you are in some emotional pain (as we all are really), but trying to hurt others will never relieve it. Instead, try being kind - I promise it will make you feel better.
‹ Previous 1 2 Next ›