1.0 out of 5 stars Tired of this! I want stories!, 29 Oct 2008
This review is from: Academy (Mass Market Paperback)
I am sick and tired of Bentley Little's social satires poorly masked as horror novels.

I don't want to know about home owners association, giant stores that crush small businesses, insurance companies, disgruntled postal workers... and on and on and ON. Enough already! This book is just another way of Little getting back at something that happened to him... No credible story, cardboard characters, all the elements of a very bad novel are here.

What bugs me is that Bentley Little used to be a great writer. The SUMMONING and REVELATION are two of the finest horror novels ever. I love them! Somewhere down the line he has lost it and now the stuff he writes should be in the back page of some social magazine. Not in the horror shelve.

The other thing that bugs me is that I keep buying them (although only reading the first 50 pages or so before I give up in frustration) in hopes that he has somehow gotten back on track. Those hopes are diminishing fast...

[Add comment]
Name:
Badge:
This badge will be assigned to you and will appear along with your name.
There was an error. Please try again.
Please see the full guidelines ">here.

Official Comment

The following name and badge will be shown with this comment:
 (edit name)

Is this your product?

Otherwise, you can still post a regular comment on this review.

Is this your product?

System timed out

Prompts for sign-in

Comments

Sort: Oldest first | Newest first
Showing 1-4 of 4 posts in this discussion
Initial post: 10 Nov 2008 13:47:32 GMT
Dingo666 says:
I recon if you are that tired of something, read what a book is about and the avoid it!
Personally I love it when horror is set in normal life surroundings. I would like to read MORE of it rather than less. To mark a book down because YOU are tired of the content doesn't help anyone because everyone has a different expectation. I could say that caviar is the most disgusting thing in the world because I don't like it, that doesn't stop others to love it though does it?

In reply to an earlier post on 23 Nov 2009 17:38:29 GMT
Agree with you fully, maybe spend his time searching the books section instead of a long negative e mail would help. We all like different things in life which makes it sooo great, so keep up the good word bentley, as we have now lost Mr Layman to the other side.........

Posted on 17 Oct 2010 17:56:14 BDT
jankensan says:
I think you mean 'horror shelf'? Tired of reviewers not proofing their reviews.

In reply to an earlier post on 30 Jan 2011 21:53:42 GMT
J. Ody says:
Yes, I agree. Mr Little has written some great books. I loved The Store, The Mailman & Evil Deeds, however he does now fall into that plot-by-numbers whereby something arrives and brainwashes everyone and a select few somehow save the day. The Association was still quite gripping though, but I struggled with The Burning and The Academy was nothing new...I now wait until I find his books cheap before I buy them.

I was also a big Laymon fan, but his last few books before he died were poor (The Travelling Vampire Show aside), and the releases since his death should probably been kept underwraps...John Saul and Jack Ketchum seem to be the ones to rely on, as even the Great Mr King misses the mark more times than he scores...shame.
‹ Previous 1 Next ›

Review Details

Item

3.3 out of 5 stars (3 customer reviews)

5.42