ARRAY(0xba8d799c)

5.0 out of 5 stars A latecomer to the party, 10 Nov 2009
This review is from: Apple iPod classic 160GB - Black - 6th Generation (Electronics)
Many reviewers are a bit miffed that Apple have played around somewhat with the classic's capacity but I have bought one only having owned an 8 gig Nano. I wanted the extra space for films & audiobooks and although I really like the iPod Touch it just doesn't have enough space. I want something I can load up with all my favourite tunes, programmes & films + a load of audiobooks to take on holiday. This does the job really well. The capacity is very good and means I dont have to keep swapping items around or decide what I want to take. The screen cannot compete with the touch but it is way bigger than the nano & works well enough although I use a dock to put it through the telly on holiday. The picture is far better than I expected and the sound clear. Everyone knows how well i-Tunes works and the addition of genius, while not vital, is a nice touch. So heres a list of pro's & con's.
For: That huge memory capacity, I got the black finish & it looks lovely,(you can get a personal message inscribed for free but you have to order through Apple for that), rapid response, intuitive controls & layout, a doddle to load, substantial feel/build especially compared to the nano & other makes, lots of accessories, great fun & capable of storing hours of entertainment for when you're away from home.
Against: Can be a little noisy, Films are battery hungry, iTunes charge an arm & a leg for just about everything,(yeah I know that's a bit random but I thought I'd have a whinge anyway), if you don't need the memory save up your shekels & get an iPod Touch, Fairly heavy, dump the headphones coz they're tat & buy some Sennheisers instead.
All in all I love this item & recommend it totally. Have fun!

[Add comment]
Name:
Badge:
This badge will be assigned to you and will appear along with your name.
There was an error. Please try again.
Please see the full guidelines ">here.

Official Comment

The following name and badge will be shown with this comment:
 (edit name)

Is this your product?

Otherwise, you can still post a regular comment on this review.

Is this your product?

System timed out

Prompts for sign-in

Comments

Tracked by 5 customers

Sort: Oldest first | Newest first
Showing 1-10 of 20 posts in this discussion
Initial post: 21 Jul 2010 18:58:27 BDT
Bacchus says:
fair comments, superb kit !
David, Dorset

Posted on 10 Nov 2010 19:28:54 GMT
Good no-nonsense comments, and the suggestion of Senheiser phones (which I already have) swung it for me as it shows you have discerning ears :)

Posted on 18 Nov 2010 22:06:00 GMT
S. Clements says:
You've just answered a debate I've been having with myself of Nano versus Classic for my daughter . She loves audiobooks , film and music and I'm concerned the Nano , even at 16 Gb , wasn't enough . Decision made. Thanks.

Posted on 28 Nov 2010 17:53:59 GMT
CROCIATO-LAW says:
Hi

Can you explain what you mean by "noisy"?

Does it make some kind of externally perceivable noise that the 120gb Classic doesn't?

PS

There's no need to buy any accesories from Apple as everything Apple do, and more besides, is available with betterwarranties in most cases, from other suppliers. Other suppliers are often making better products and more reliable than Apple too, in my experience. I have combined DVD/Ipod dock/player with HDMI full HD1080p and upscaling for HD ready TV's and their own 30 watts of excellent sound through two dedicated stero speakers if you want to use them, they charge while playing and have full function remote control over the Ipod (you can switch this function off if you prefer manual Ipod control) and I own four of them one for each Flat screen and they are under 35.00 each. You'll not find them on Amazon though sadly I've only found one seller, but they are national high street and online retailers so easy to purchase from.

I went with bluetooth headphoes for my Classic 120gb as the lack of wire is such a big plus point. and they can be used with iTunes on my PC too through that bluetooth, it'll be a bit temperamental with Blue soleil dongles if you use those rather than having built in blue tooth. I actually use a different bluetoothdongle as it has a 100 metre range which if far beetr than any built in Bluetooth I know of. At full belt they lose no clarity at all but you'd need serios therapy if you wanted to listen at that level constantly!

Overcome the power hungry movies by getting a battery pack that is hand held and clips into the base connector. It takes AA batteries so you can run it cheaply over time, plus you can get up to nearly 20 hours movie time with very good rechargeable batteries.

I even have a freeware converter that converts movies into MP4-AAC that will play on the ipod just perfect in excellent clarity. This means I can take my converted movies of whatever is on my PC with me and a cable for TV playback that cost a couple of quid and show my holiday snaps or movies etc when I'm visiting. Alternatively enable disk use on your ipod and use just like you would a portable memory drive and carry anything you like on the ipod and down load it to a friends PC or family PC and you haven't had to carry extra kit with you to share your 'stuff'. Beware the Apple movies are DRM protected so you'd have to grant account access to you itunes account to let anyone share them, you have to go with software that means you break the law to overcome this kind of problem. Where possible buy your music and movie downloads DRM free from elsewhere if you have any intention of 'sharing' certain files.

I'm getting my 7 year old son one for Crimbo, so really just got carried away here when all I womdered about was the "noisy" comment. My 120gb runs silent if you understand my meaning without any audio device plugged in. All the clicking noises from using the function wheel interface can be turned off if you want to. I'm guessing that is what you mean?

I was an "ipod of any kind whatsoever" skeptic before getting my 120gb classic as my first non mobile phone/stand alone digital media player, and now I'm a total convert even though I don't really like Apple the company 'per se'. I love my audiobooks and films and endless podcasts and vodcasts that I can store on mine without memory resource issues, this is simply a great bit of kit.

****************************************** IMPORTANT BEFORE YOU BUY *******************************************

If you listen to audiobooks, or think you could get into it or get your kids into them etc. the don't forget the Audible offer of 50.00 off any new ipod if you sign up as a new customer for a 12 mth Audible membership. Existing Audible members needn't miss out either, I know that if you cancel your membership, you'll get an email offering you the same 50 for coming back to them......

I made use of this offer, and boy oh boy does that make these new 160gb models cheap! Second hand ones aren't worth buying at any price above 70 guid in my opinion, to allow you to buy a warranty cover/repair cover/insurance policy on the open market.

Personally I always get one of the Zurich policies sold here on Amazon at the point of purchase of complex gadgets like these, warranty extension and insurance against total failure with a replacemnt if non-repairable. High users of Ipods like me can rest easy with the classic for up to 5 years that way, and the prices aren't all that bad, especially when you get 50 off via the Audible deal.............

My Samsung mobile phone can play most of my ipod playable movies too and mp3's, plus it has expandable micro sd memory and has a touch screen as big as an ipod touch too so I'd go down that route if I wanted somehting to operate like an Ipod touch. My phone also has wifi so I can access files remotely on my home network through my wirless router or down t'internet from anywhere if I had to use this for some onforeseen reason rather than my ipod, for films or music, or to get other files remotely on the spur of the moment again if I couldn't access them ones I'd stored on my ipod, hence a 'touch' would always be a non starter for me, and the classics are so robustly built (with an excellent quality finsh too) I think a younger kid will be less likely to damage them than other ipods, if like me you are buying another classic for your household in some way that will mean the kid/s will use it.

Sorry for babbling on and digressing a bit, but I really do like the classic.

Cheers

Baz

In reply to an earlier post on 28 Nov 2010 20:15:22 GMT
Blimey! Thanks for all that.
To answer your question the 'noisy' bit I referred to was the hard drive which whirrs away like a thing possessed with just about every command. Can't say whether it's noisier than the 120 gig model as I've never used it.
Still a class bit of kit though, noisy or not.

In reply to an earlier post on 30 Nov 2010 10:10:00 GMT
CROCIATO-LAW says:
Hi David,

I hate to say this but it sounds as though you have a faulty unit.

They shouldn't make any noise that we can hear, they run silent.

If you bought it here, Amazon must replace it themselves up to 6 months old despite them trying to tell you other wise.

Personally I'd return it as Faulty and buy another to get a full guarantee for 12 months again.

These are you standard consumer rights, Amazon will not tell you, you must tel them that you know they are resposible for the first 6 months, and the manufacturer takes over after that until the warranty concludes.

Sorry to bear bad news, but your are a new convertee and should be able to get your refunded ad get one that is silent running.

Regards,

Barry

(User id: Lawbarbaz) the name will give you a clue as to how I know, among other things, how the law protects consumers.

In reply to an earlier post on 15 Dec 2010 17:31:47 GMT
Pac Man says:
I have the 120gb version, and I hear a slight clicking sound every so often. As the Classic has a tiny hard-drive, and not a flash memory as the nano has, so you will hear some noise; but nothing that should be intrusive.

Posted on 18 May 2011 08:40:15 BDT
I'm considering buying one for one reason only - the word Touch does not occur in its product name. Touchscreen technology is anathema, as far as I'm concerned. I just cannot make it work. While these players with rational controls are still on the market, I need to stock up. No doubt the next generation on will be even worse than Touch.

Posted on 25 Aug 2011 18:43:45 BDT
Peter says:
Ipod is the best thing that ever happened to my music listening, the classic is brilliant, but the touch is even better, problem is as this reviewer stated, it does not have enough memory, I did actually buy one, I waited until the 64Gb came out, but very soon my CD collection grew to nearly 80Gb and the touch is no good (I do keep a selection of my favorites on it), I keep a classic in the car and another attached to my Hi Fi indoors.

I want to get an Ipad, but (take note Apple), I refuse to part with my hard earned 600 until that 64Gb is improved upon substatially, honestly, what use is an 8Gb Ipad??

Posted on 5 Jun 2012 14:16:24 BDT
piggin says:
hi can you tel me if these ipod comes with a charger or not?
‹ Previous 1 2 Next ›

Review Details

Item

4.3 out of 5 stars (513 customer reviews)

199.00 176.66