5.0 out of 5 stars The best router... maybe..., 10 Jan. 2012
This review is from: AVM Fritz! Box Fon 7390 Wireless 4 Port VDSL/ADSL2+ Router DECT VoIP Phone Adaper (Accessory)
I will give you a run down on my experience with various AVM Fritz!box routers

I have owned and used three Fritz!box routers: 7140, AVM FRITZ!Box Fon WLAN 7270 - VOIP VPN WLAN Router - and now the new 7390.

Basically the Fritz!box makes it very easy to configure multiple VOIP accounts which can be used with ordinary phones plugged into the rear of the router or any DECT or wifi connected mobile phones. It also sends and receives faxes as pdf files. It works with pure VOIP, but not Skype.

Into the rear of the router you plug both your phone and DSL cables and then one or two BT handsets into phone sockets on the router. I only have my Alarm phone cable connected to the router as all my calls are done over DECT phones.

You can then configure call forwarding, built in answering machines, call screening etc. You can automatically assign certain dialed numbers to go by VOIP, others via BT. This can also be programmed to vary according to which handset is used, time of day etc.

I have my own setup to make all outgoing calls via VOIP except those starting 0800, all 09 numbers are banned, all incoming VOIP calls go straight to the answering machine but not BT calls which ring as normal.

When away from home I can either set the built in answer machine to take messages which are then emailed to my iPhone from the Fritzbox or else I can have the Fritz!box automatically forward on incoming calls to the BT number via VOIP to my iPhone - a caller telephones my house, the router picks up the call and reroutes it via VOIP to my iPhone with minimal delays, the caller is not aware of the rerouting.

I also have integrated my home security system into the router. If an alert is triggered my alarm system telephones my iPhone via the router over VOIP to play me an alert message and my LAN IP cams email me pictures and upload video.

The Fritz!box is also a DECT controller and will work with any DECT phones. It can also recognise and work with wireless or ethernet VOIP handsets and also the iPhone ( free app available) or Android phones over wifi. This means that incoming calls can be reouted to just one phone or all of them according to their origin or any permutation of handset, phone line, time of day etc etc. Of course you can also, call between phones on the network as normal.

If you use one or more of the AVM DECT phones such as the AVM FRITZ!Fon MT-F - Cordless extension handset w/ call waiting caller ID & internet radio - DECT\GAP - SIP then you can also use the handsets to enable or disable answer machines, call forwarding etc, update router or handset firmware. Oh yes, the handsets can also be used for email, streaming internet radio etc. The phone book is held centrally on the router and entries can be edited via the router GUI. The phone book now supports picture ID so numbers can be assigned images that display on the handset screen during calls.

That aside the Fritz!box is also a very well equiped router with built in Media server, NAS etc via USB socket, wireless N, Guest networks , native IPV6, etc

That all sounds great but my experiences with AVM has not always been good. Earlier 7270 firmware was buggy and DSL outages often happened. AVM support were very good and exchanged the unit twice. However, since firmware revisions I have had no problems with the 7270 now for about a year.

I decided to upgrade to the 7390 and bought the 7390 plus two MT-F phones. However, after much struggle and email exchanges with AVM in Berlin I discovered a small number of other users had the same problem. Basically it seems that the 7390 does not like certain hardware used between the home phone line and some exchanges and that DSL handshakes are not being passed on as they should to the ISP. This is by no means a universal problem and only afflicts a tiny number of users. Naturally I am one.

My home phone line in Lancs just will not work with the 7390 but my family house in Yorkshire works fine. Both are with the same ISP, Virgin (ADSL not Cable) and the only difference between the two is the login/password.

As a router both the 7270 and 7390 are great and wors at wifi speeds up to 300Mbps. I have never seriously tried the built in Media Server as I have separate NAS units. I do use it for wireless printing and that works really well. AVM also produce their own software to allow secure VPN tunnelling to their routers and this I have used with no problems.

Following a recent firmware upgrade to the 7270 - upgrades are usually far more than bug fixes and new features are always added - the only significant differences between the 7270 and 7390 are:

7390 has Gigabyte LAN
7390 has 5Ghz and 2.4Ghz separate configurable streams (7270 is 2.4N 300Mbps only)
7390 has faster processor
7390 has 500M of buit in NAS storage in addition to that from USB
7390 has two USB ports rather than the 7270's single
7390 is not shipped with the exellent disgnostic and firewall suite designed for earlier Fritz!boxes

If you want a sophisticated but easy to use home PBX system that integrates landline and VOIP calls together with a very well specified high speed router then this is the only one to go for. If you only need a router then there are other cheaper options that would answer your needs just as well.

I would firmly suggest buying a 7390 and two or more AVM MT-F DECT phones - on the understanding that the 7390 can be swapped for a 7270 if necessary!

[Add comment]
Name:
Badge:
This badge will be assigned to you and will appear along with your name.
There was an error. Please try again.
Please see the full guidelines ">here.

Official Comment

The following name and badge will be shown with this comment:
 (edit name)

Is this your product?

Otherwise, you can still post a regular comment on this review.

Is this your product?

System timed out

Prompts for sign-in

Comments

Sort: Oldest first | Newest first
Showing 1-2 of 2 posts in this discussion
Initial post: 8 Jan 2013 23:49:39 GMT
Last edited by the author on 8 Jan 2013 23:51:24 GMT
Thanks for your comments. I have ordered the 7390 but am having basic problems? Did you recieve the UK telephone adaptors and was it annex A for UK Standards when you ordered?

Posted on 24 Feb 2013 10:40:39 GMT
P. Wheadon says:
Thanks ever so much for so much information and an insight into what can be done with this technology. I am both attracted and repelled by it all. I love the idea of all that technology and then I think of the endless fiddling around and reconfiguring and the complexity of troubleshooting it all when it does eventually go wrong. I have had wonderful integrated systems in the past, I get it all singing and dancing to my tune until the day comes when it all evaporates in a puff of smoke. I am still tempted though - perhaps this time I really will document everything as I set it up.
‹ Previous 1 Next ›