4.0 out of 5 stars great tablet I'm sure but f***ing S***e AWFUL WINDOWS O/S, 12 Feb. 2014
This review is from: ASUS M80TA-DL001H 8.0-inch VivoTab Note 8 Tablet (Intel Atom Z3740 1.33GHz Processor, 2GB RAM, 32GB eMMC, Wi-Fi, Bluetooth 4.0, Webcam, Built-in Speaker, Microphone, Touch Screen, Windows 8.1) (Personal Computers)
SEE UPDATE BELOW FOR ANSWERS TO INITIAL COMMENTS
................................................

mY EXPECTATIONS HAVE JUST BEEN RUINED BY MICROS***E taking over everything. I am MORE than computer literate but as a first experience of Windows 8 with no explanations and one page user guide that only tells you how to switch it on I feel like throwing the whole thing in the bin. THIS IS MY first MICROSOFT WIN 8 EXPERIENCE. everything I dont want.

Unless you are already familiar with and like the new all done for you icons for idiots we know what you want media experience intrusion....do yourself a favour and buy windows 8 for dummies first, and after studying thoroughly, see if you even want to go there.

It is so counter-intuitive I can understand why its hated so much.

WINDOWS OFFICE AND ONE NOTE ???????? WHERE?
The pen tip is 1/4 inch off from activation point which makes the concession in 8.1 to a desktop experience on this scale nearly void.

If I cant adjust this offputting difference between stylus point location and screen location whats the wacom digitizer good for, the reason bought this.

Try look in programs folder.. dont have permission????????? its my tablet

Search for office there, its there, setup, am I supposed to install it? Am I suppose to set it up myself? No help at all. Cant find a programs menu. I'll find out more before do anything I might regret.

ONENOTE, supposedly installed and another reason for buying, search - no items match.
WHERE IS THE PROMISED ONENOTE??

I've got up to a week to send this back. It'll probably take that long to see if this thing can come halfway to fullfilling its promises. If not stick with a laptop and windows seven.

THIS SUCKS ROYALLY. MICROSOFT HAVE DONE it again - WORSE EVEN THAN VISTA WITH THIS.

IN FACT its time to SERIOUSLY LOOK AT APPLE OR LINUX, I already use firefox with no problems compared to microsofts bloatware alternative.

Why do these geeks have to ruin working software with features no one uses or wants (more selling points when they run out of real improvments for the next must have editions), or else simplify the interface to the incomprehensible with no control, treating us like morons!

I'm sure the media savvy youth with their touchpad phones and tweetings and entetainment needs might find this usable but the best thing I've found so far is the off switch, the only way I've so far found of navigating out of microsofts stores or whatever, I'm sure they just want to maximise your buying experience, as well as track your browsing habits so they can bombard you with a more presonalised selling oportunity for themselves.

INSIDIOUS PROGRAM THROUGH AND THROUGH.
No wonder it is so hated.

Trust microsoft to want to deprive you of control of your experience and they won't dissapoint you there. Want something you can use - go elsewhere.

I will now give it yet some more of my precious time to relearnig everything I know so far about computers just to see if it can deliver anything close to the reason for buying it. Maybe I can install win7 buy onenote as it doesn't seem to be here, and start all over from scratch.

I wanted it for handwriting recognion to editable text purposes, on the fly using onenote and journal. I will have to update on this. First I will need to find info online on my old machine on how to use as none is supplied, and see if penpoint location can be reset as it invalidates use for navigating the small icons and menus and the possible handwriting functionality.

BE WARNED. If its a tablet you want for superficial needs its ONE alternative, for anything else its got to be a compromise, I have just got to spend time finding out just how much of one.

Hope this is helpful to those who are contemplating the change to this device for the same reasons.

>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>><<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<

UPDATE 14/02/14.

I have left my original rant as is but uprated the star rating (from one)as the tablet deserves it, BUT I STICK BY MY FRUSTRATION WITH MICROSOFT and the lack of any written instructions beyond 'press the power button'. NO printed instructions, NO hint of there being an Asus manual....loaded.... in apps. Just pages of safety and legal stuff, nothing useful. Rediculous omission.

Having no experience of tablets or touch screens and not having a mobile phone this is all new to me. However having had a couple of days to play with there are some additional things to add.

First I did not sign up for a microsoft accout but did set up a personal account on setup, just to get in. I was able to do away with password after as I didn't want to put that in each time I switched on, but as far as can see am stuck with the name.

Having setup I found the progams, now called apps, not without problems, easy once you know how that is, having dicovered them incidently by a simple upswipe from the start screen which I knew nothing about, though of course its fully illustrated in the app come manual once you know there IS one, and HOW to find it.

Having found the APPS I then found the Asus Instruction manual that told me how to use the machine, including finding said apps and manual.

Office is there and a key is supplied in package to activate.

Onenote is there but you need a microsoft account to use it. You can do this anytime so no need to do so on setup.

The stylus can be calibrated to the screen to bring inline. I did this through MS Journal/tools/options-other tab/tablet settings/calibrate/pen input - and follow instructions putting PEN TIP on cross marks, not the point on screen itself representing the pen, its that you want to bring inline with physical pentip.

This is NOT in the manual, but it is needed.

Doing that however doesn't line the touchpoint with pen on the actual jounal page so line when writing is offset some from tip, which have to ignore as not found out how to alter, if possible. Pen does align for menus etc though now, so more accurate for such where before it was very hit or miss, and the menu text size can be altered, I changed the miniscule 9 set to 15, to make easier to quickly and accurately access, including with finger, but can be set larger still. Very necessary for the visually challanged.

There is no way to customise the toolbar as in add a convert to text button, so easier menu use is absolutely required.

Handwriting to editable text being my main purpose I have to say that journal is EXCELLENT in this function and set up, so conversion as it appears for edit comes up in its own window but can be set to also be copied automatically to the clipboard ready to paste into your text editor of choice. This is so much better and direct than any previous experiences with other devices as outlined below.

THIS IS THE bY far the BEST WAY I HAVE FOUND SO FAR of doing this, having tried a staetdler pen and pickup, which is quite good under optimum conditions, used in combination with MyScript ink retriever to capture notes, for text conversion in MyScript notes studio edition.

This was good at best but liable to problems with lines over note of writing, and the writing image dissapearing off the edge of the page, which in the end was more trouble correcting than typing up directly from straight written notes.

Aiptek tablet was ok until pen packed up, but same problems. Neither came close to the functionality of THIS tablet, the wacom pen and digitiser, and the programs conversion capability. Apart from the offset from penpoint to page line, this is all I hoped for from my first experience, so I expect it to get better with familiarity.

It works for me using my natural handwriting but cannot say it would work for others if more extreme. For this alone though I am pleased with the purchase and would give Journal 4.5 stars. Would have liked the customisable toolbar and written line following pen exactly in journal, made allowable (unless I'm missing something). That would be five star.

I did manage to get rid of the highly frustrating tip screen message attatched to left side of screen stating the obvious while sitting on TOP of program windows and all other functions blocking access to the screen below and thereby making funtions all but useless.

How I did get rid of it eventually after trying and lots of searching online I do not know how, it finally went. The method I didn't want to try as given online involved going to the registry and making changes there, a very complex and highly dubious practice just to get rid of a stupid annoying maddening unneccessary and totally frustrating 'TIP'. This it woud seem has caused no end of bad experiences for newcomers to windows 8 along with problems from trying to get fix it.

One the hint is not needed where others WOULD HAVE been more useful, and two why not allow users to be able to SIMPLY REMOVE it. Nothing in the manual about that.

The start screen is nicely customisable once you know how but I still think a lot of geeks at micro-S tried to compromise on a new format just to have a new system to sell as soon as possible, just like with Vista, before it was fully fit for purpose and thought through.

That said having got more familiar with it I think the actual tablet is a delight, and for my purposes I would give five stars, just on the basis of my hand to text writing experience WHICH it IS LIMITED to.
..........................................

I have not set up wifi, tried bluetooth or other elements most would use it for so I still cannot reccomend on these matters as I have no experience there. I just wish there had been a simple set of printed instuction to get me into the fuller setup instructions in the apps manual, instead of the useless user guide supplied, which was all about telling you not to clean your new device in the washing machine and typical legal stuff.

How much does it take to put in just a simple one liner like:

'There is an full Asus Instruction Manual for your tablet installed in applications, flick up from the bottom of start screen to access'.

It would have saved a hell of a lot of frustration.

Even with the my limited familiarity with the handwriting to text functionality, my reason for buying this particular tablet, the experience justifies the purchase. I'm sure that the rest when needed will also prove as useful in time.

Hope this is more helpful.

[Add comment]
Name:
Badge:
This badge will be assigned to you and will appear along with your name.
There was an error. Please try again.
Please see the full guidelines ">here.

Official Comment

The following name and badge will be shown with this comment:
 (edit name)

Is this your product?

Otherwise, you can still post a regular comment on this review.

Is this your product?

System timed out

Prompts for sign-in

Comments

Tracked by 2 customers

Sort: Oldest first | Newest first
Showing 1-6 of 6 posts in this discussion
Initial post: 12 Feb 2014 15:02:42 GMT
Last edited by the author on 12 Feb 2014 15:06:55 GMT
remk says:
Well done for not reading manual and not running all updates prior using the device, instead you chose to waste your time writing this useless 'review'.

Posted on 12 Feb 2014 15:11:58 GMT
Hard to take this review seriously when it's so poorly written. Just run the updates like you do on every other computer you buy and stop whining.

Posted on 12 Feb 2014 20:57:31 GMT
RobUK says:
Ridiculous review - quick use guide to Windows 8 comes with the tablet, updates can be downloaded. Its sold as having windows 8.1 as its selling point, how did you miss that? If you need a full windows O/S and active stylus functions, then this is a great option in its price bracket. Ignore this poorly written rant of a review.

Posted on 12 Feb 2014 21:35:50 GMT
P. Platt says:
Oh dear!. This review was clearly written when the reviewer was somewhat frustrated and not in rational frame of mind. I would advise best to ignore!

The Vivitab Note 8 promises to be one of the better implementations of a Windows 8 tablet in the 8 inch form factor and I am managing to use the Wacom stylus quite faultlessly on my Vivotab Note 8 which is particular useful in desktop mode as an alternative to a mouse

Windows 8.1 offer the best of bother worlds in terms of a tile driven touch interface that is easily navigated with a finger or the desktop interface which should be very familiar to Windows 7 users as the reviewer claims to be.

As the others who have commented point out just apply the windows updates as prompted and the initial setup of Windows 8.1 couldn't be easier just follow the on screen step by step instructions.

Posted on 14 Feb 2014 16:42:49 GMT
Scubydoo says:
Someone should delete this post as it was obviously written by a "Computer Iliterate", Windows 8.1 with the addition of Classic Shell to give you a full Win 7 style Start menu is excellent for all round usability on the go.

Posted on 3 Apr 2014 13:12:05 BDT
This looks to me like somebody who finds Windows 8 a nasty shock, (who does'nt) and has taken a few shortcuts in setting up. Having tried that sort of thing myself, I can sympathise. I too would like to know how to avoid the lengthy sign on with Windows. User name and password each time can be tedious to the typing challenged or impatient amongst us. If I could type quickly enough, I could produce a rant ten times as long and twice vitriolic as this one about Windows 8. So many points like the lack of a single instruction sheet for example, which I agree with. I am thinking of getting this tablet myself, so cannot comment on it yet. I hope it is as good as some reviews say it is. I like P. Platt's comment, very informative. I suppose I am having trouble in accepting that something so small, could look and act like a proper PC.
‹ Previous 1 Next ›