ARRAY(0xa3d349b4)

1,303 of 1,370 people found the following review helpful
5.0 out of 5 stars Excellent, 13 Nov 2013
This review is from: Kindle Fire HDX 7", HDX Display, Wi-Fi, 16 GB - Includes Special Offers (Electronics)
I received this today despite having only ordered it yesterday afternoon. Cleary Amazon have plenty of HDX 7 inch models in stock. I went for the cheapest option - 16Gb of memory, (Wi-Fi only of course), and `with special offers' to cut the cost further. This is the third generation of Fire released in the US market and the second UK version. I purchased one of the first US models which has worked well for the last couple of years. The new model is a significant improvement on this.

Headlines, well first, the screen is absolutely fantastic. The colours are vibrant and the screen very bright, so bright in fact I've turned down the brightness settings. The screen has a far better resolution compared to the iPad Air (263 pixels per inch v. 323) which I bought last week and text is sharper and colour reproduction seems more realistic. Needless to say the screen is a long way away from the original Fire.

Second, and a little unexpectedly, the Fire is a lot lighter. I see its lighter than the last 7 inch HD version, and is considerably lighter than my original US-only model. Not that any of the 7 inch Fires have seemed too heavy to hold one handed for reading. The new Fire just makes it easier still.

Third, the tablet is a lot faster. The Fire uses the same processor that's in my Sony mobile phone and I've noticed a significant improvement with that compared to the last generation of chip. The Qualcomm Snapdragon 800 processor seems likely to be future proof for another couple of years.

Fourth, using the tablet with LoveFilm results is really high-quality film viewing. There's little reflection on the screen, on my BT Infinity internet link there's no delay in films downloading and no video stutter with images in brilliant quality. Partly this may reflect also the `ultra-fast' dual band Wi-Fi now built in. For printed content books are easy to read but I've never suffered from eye-strain reading from LCD screens. Others will be better able to comment on this. Magazines look brilliant making full use of the outstanding screen.

Finally, the sound is easily good enough to watch films with but I'd recommend headphones for music.

There are other features that I doubt I'll use much if at all. The `Mayday' function seems a little pointless especially as the most common problem I'm likely to experience is Wi-Fi connectivity issues! I purchased the 16Gb storage capacity as I tend to use the Fire mostly for reading and watching streamed films and Amazon's Cloud service. As a result additional memory is not needed for me. Nor do I need a rear camera (just as well as this 7 inch model doesn't have one) and I won't much use the front camera although it will work well for occasional video Skype call.

Potential downsides remain from other versions of the Fire. Although the version of Android is newer is still has a very heavy Amazon skin and you don't have access to the Play store. But for my use of the Tablet this isn't a problem especially as so many Apps are now available from Amazon.

Overall a dramatic enhancement on my old Fire, a brilliant screen, and a lightweight tablet which has a high build quality. For the price it's very good value for money. As a result highly recommended. I'll post an update on battery life after I've used the tablet for a couple of weeks. The specifications suggest this is a further area that's been improved on.

[Add comment]
Name:
Badge:
This badge will be assigned to you and will appear along with your name.
There was an error. Please try again.
Please see the full guidelines ">here.

Official Comment

The following name and badge will be shown with this comment:
 (edit name)

Is this your product?

Otherwise, you can still post a regular comment on this review.

Is this your product?

System timed out

Prompts for sign-in

Comments

Tracked by 8 customers

Sort: Oldest first | Newest first
Showing 11-20 of 20 posts in this discussion
In reply to an earlier post on 19 Nov 2013 17:22:27 GMT
Paul S. Ell says:
Like all LCD screens it's not much good outside, and in sunlight poor. Using it to read is possible but not surfing the web. I think this is simply the nature of LCD screens. To use outside as a book your better off with the standard e-paper Kindle. Hope this helps.

Paul

In reply to an earlier post on 22 Nov 2013 16:50:02 GMT
Stokeydave says:
Thanks for that. I`ll stick with my Old Fire & paperwhite then.

In reply to an earlier post on 22 Nov 2013 19:51:02 GMT
Atomspheres says:
Could anyone tell me if the 16gb or the 32gb is the best to go for. My daughter is 9 and only wants to play minecraft on it really but I read you get 10.9gb of useable space. Do apps and games take up alot of space?

Any help please.

In reply to an earlier post on 22 Nov 2013 21:39:39 GMT
Paul S. Ell says:
For a game like minecraft 16Gb is absolutely fine. Even the most complex game will not take up more than around 1.5Gb but this is the exception. I'd expect minecraft to use around 0.1Gb. However, the 32Gb version of the Fire doesn't cost much more...

Paul

Posted on 24 Nov 2013 15:37:35 GMT
could you tell me if the kindle fire hdx has an E ink screen for reading books?

Posted on 29 Nov 2013 12:53:23 GMT
Does this version allow you to download from bbc iplayer, rather than watching it "live" through a wifi connection? This is the thing that frustrates me most about the original version - I want the ability to download stuff and watch it on the train, long cars journeys etc!

Posted on 18 Dec 2013 11:00:36 GMT
Peter Sutton says:
Hi Paul - quick question - does this model support Flash now?

In reply to an earlier post on 3 Jan 2014 12:28:07 GMT
You have to Install Dophin Browser + Flash APK, I did this on my Kindle Fire HDX, since I can't find an option for flash, it's easy to do though, took me about 5 minutes.

In reply to an earlier post on 4 Jan 2014 15:23:45 GMT
Last edited by the author on 9 Feb 2014 17:20:36 GMT
Adam, what's Flash APK? Is that the same as adobe flash player? I'm thinking about getting one of these Kindle Fire HDXs, and am hoping that I won't hit the same issues that I get with my iPad Air, which won't let me watch a lot of streaming videos because it won't accept Adobe Flash Player.
Hope u can tell me!

Review Details

Item

Reviewer

Paul S. Ell
(HALL OF FAME REVIEWER)    (TOP 50 REVIEWER)    (VINE VOICE)    (REAL NAME)

Location: NI, UK