1,505 of 1,594 people found the following review helpful
5.0 out of 5 stars Excellent, 13 Nov 2013
This review is from: Kindle Fire HDX 7", HDX Display, Wi-Fi, 16 GB - Includes Special Offers (Electronics)
I received this today despite having only ordered it yesterday afternoon. Cleary Amazon have plenty of HDX 7 inch models in stock. I went for the cheapest option - 16Gb of memory, (Wi-Fi only of course), and `with special offers' to cut the cost further. This is the third generation of Fire released in the US market and the second UK version. I purchased one of the first US models which has worked well for the last couple of years. The new model is a significant improvement on this.

Headlines, well first, the screen is absolutely fantastic. The colours are vibrant and the screen very bright, so bright in fact I've turned down the brightness settings. The screen has a far better resolution compared to the iPad Air (263 pixels per inch v. 323) which I bought last week and text is sharper and colour reproduction seems more realistic. Needless to say the screen is a long way away from the original Fire.

Second, and a little unexpectedly, the Fire is a lot lighter. I see its lighter than the last 7 inch HD version, and is considerably lighter than my original US-only model. Not that any of the 7 inch Fires have seemed too heavy to hold one handed for reading. The new Fire just makes it easier still.

Third, the tablet is a lot faster. The Fire uses the same processor that's in my Sony mobile phone and I've noticed a significant improvement with that compared to the last generation of chip. The Qualcomm Snapdragon 800 processor seems likely to be future proof for another couple of years.

Fourth, using the tablet with LoveFilm results is really high-quality film viewing. There's little reflection on the screen, on my BT Infinity internet link there's no delay in films downloading and no video stutter with images in brilliant quality. Partly this may reflect also the `ultra-fast' dual band Wi-Fi now built in. For printed content books are easy to read but I've never suffered from eye-strain reading from LCD screens. Others will be better able to comment on this. Magazines look brilliant making full use of the outstanding screen.

Finally, the sound is easily good enough to watch films with but I'd recommend headphones for music.

There are other features that I doubt I'll use much if at all. The `Mayday' function seems a little pointless especially as the most common problem I'm likely to experience is Wi-Fi connectivity issues! I purchased the 16Gb storage capacity as I tend to use the Fire mostly for reading and watching streamed films and Amazon's Cloud service. As a result additional memory is not needed for me. Nor do I need a rear camera (just as well as this 7 inch model doesn't have one) and I won't much use the front camera although it will work well for occasional video Skype call.

Potential downsides remain from other versions of the Fire. Although the version of Android is newer is still has a very heavy Amazon skin and you don't have access to the Play store. But for my use of the Tablet this isn't a problem especially as so many Apps are now available from Amazon.

Overall a dramatic enhancement on my old Fire, a brilliant screen, and a lightweight tablet which has a high build quality. For the price it's very good value for money. As a result highly recommended. I'll post an update on battery life after I've used the tablet for a couple of weeks. The specifications suggest this is a further area that's been improved on.

[Add comment]
Name:
Badge:
This badge will be assigned to you and will appear along with your name.
There was an error. Please try again.
Please see the full guidelines ">here.

Official Comment

The following name and badge will be shown with this comment:
 (edit name)

Is this your product?

Otherwise, you can still post a regular comment on this review.

Is this your product?

System timed out

Prompts for sign-in

Comments

Tracked by 10 customers

Sort: Oldest first | Newest first

[Deleted by Amazon on 9 Jun 2014 06:28:11 BDT]

In reply to an earlier post on 14 Nov 2013 01:52:16 GMT
[Deleted by the author on 2 Dec 2013 23:30:19 GMT]

Posted on 14 Nov 2013 12:34:36 GMT
Did you order using next day delivery?

In reply to an earlier post on 14 Nov 2013 13:04:19 GMT
Paul S Ell says:
Hi, I'm an Amazon Prime member so delivery is included when I order Amazon products. In this case the Kindle came via Royal Mail with guaranteed next day delivery. Hope this helps. Paul.

Posted on 14 Nov 2013 16:37:52 GMT
Hi Paul
You made no mention of the Blue/purple edge to the screen which was so talked about on Amazon.com.

has this been removed?

Roger P

In reply to an earlier post on 14 Nov 2013 20:12:48 GMT
Paul S Ell says:
Roger,

I've taken a look at the amazon.com site and what Amazon says about this. Comparing the display with an iPad Air screen on maximum brightness the screen on the Fire is brighter and the white looks whiter than a slightly blue/grey look on the iPad. That said against a fully white background there is a narrow banding of a bluish tint around the display edge on the Fire. At lower light levels, and with anything with more colour than white, the narrow band isn't noticeable, and as I've suggested, it seems to result in white whites over the rest of the screen. I don't see this as a problem, and it's not something that catches your eye when turning the screen on. Since Amazon are using blue LEDs though I guess this blue hue is not something that's going to go away. Paul

In reply to an earlier post on 15 Nov 2013 07:27:18 GMT
Paul
Thanks very much, the problem was a concern but your answer has made me feel more comfortable buying the 7 inch fire

Regards Roger

In reply to an earlier post on 17 Nov 2013 16:01:06 GMT
[Deleted by Amazon on 17 Nov 2013 16:03:58 GMT]

Posted on 19 Nov 2013 16:37:48 GMT
Stokeydave says:
Can you confirm if you can see the screen outside in natural daylight. This was the only thing that I was disappointed in the original fire, that outside it was hopeless.
‹ Previous 1 2 3 Next ›

Review Details

Item

Reviewer

Paul S Ell
(HALL OF FAME REVIEWER)    (TOP 50 REVIEWER)    (VINE VOICE)

Location: NI, UK