2.0 out of 5 stars Waste of time, 21 Mar. 2012
This review is from: AmazonBasics GPS Dashboard Mount (Wireless Phone Accessory)
Purchased this mount instead of the vastly more expensive Garmin one. Looks well made and good quality. Only trouble is, every time I go round a corner, it slides off the dashboard. I am sure the more expensive one would be no different, but this has been a complete waste of my time and money.

[Add comment]
Name:
Badge:
This badge will be assigned to you and will appear along with your name.
There was an error. Please try again.
Please see the full guidelines ">here.

Official Comment

The following name and badge will be shown with this comment:
 (edit name)

Is this your product?

Otherwise, you can still post a regular comment on this review.

Is this your product?

System timed out

Prompts for sign-in
  [Cancel]

Comments

Track comments by e-mail
Tracked by 1 customer

Sort: Oldest first | Newest first
Showing 1-9 of 9 posts in this discussion
Initial post: 5 May 2012 01:13:26 BDT
I have the official (more expensive) Garmin one and it slid off the dashboard regularly in my last car. So much so that I haven't even tried to use it in my current car. I use the simple windscreen suction mount instead that comes free with the Satnav.
Only thing I'd say is don't do what I saw recently in a car park. A young lady got into her car next to mine and stuck her satnav on the windscreen directly in front of her face!!!!! Not something I'd recommend if you want to live to become an old lady my dear.

In reply to an earlier post on 22 May 2012 16:00:48 BDT
Balveda says:
Bloody hell how do you drive your cars, i have had the garmin mount for years and it has never moved in the slightest around corners and thats not saying i drive slow and carefully...

In reply to an earlier post on 25 May 2012 09:00:31 BDT
Last edited by the author on 25 May 2012 09:01:12 BDT
CharlieG says:
I agree absolutely with M. Riches's post.

I have had a Garmin dashboard mount for years and have never had the SatNav move. Two different Garmin sat navs (Streetpilot and Nuvi), and serveral hire cars + two different personal cars - OK both were Golfs, but different versions.

The trouble with the windscreen mount is that the rubber deteriorates, and the sat nav starts falling off the screen - I found this to be a real problem with hire cars.

In reply to an earlier post on 8 Jul 2012 17:27:04 BDT
Bigshock says:
I also have a Garmin mount and its perfectly stable, it certainly doesn't require any "adhesive"

Posted on 12 Oct 2012 13:06:09 BDT
S. Bailey says:
My garmin dashboard mount has NEVER slipped in any cars I have driven including BMW, 307, Passat, and a Clio. Maybe it does for other cars, but it has been an excellent buy for me.

In reply to an earlier post on 22 Jan 2013 13:53:26 GMT
rally_champ says:
I must agree with most of the other owners above, my Garmin Universal Friction mount Garmin Universal Friction Mount for 700/600/300/200 series has been excellent in all sorts of cars from a 1967 Triumph Spitfire to a 2012 Mercedes C-class. Even after 3 years of abuse and 40,000 miles it is still great. Pity there's nothing as good for my TomTom.

Posted on 17 Apr 2013 11:46:07 BDT
jeep says:
Yes get your facts right - the Garmin one is excellent and does not use any adhesive, guess you get what you pay for.

In reply to an earlier post on 27 Oct 2015 13:43:54 GMT
JM says:
Yep. Totally agree. I've never had my Garmin beanbag move across the dash, ever. I've always wondered how it would fare in an emergency stop situation, though.

In reply to an earlier post on 27 Oct 2015 13:48:54 GMT
JM says:
Interesting. I always put my satnav to the right of the steering wheel. I see a lot of people put it bang in the centre of the dash; but if you think about it, they're moving their field of vision towards the kerb in order to get a decent view of it. Whereas, I can just glance slightly to the right and still have my eyes pretty much centred on the road ahead. Each to his own.
‹ Previous 1 Next ›