5.0 out of 5 stars Pete Duel: A Biography, 18 Aug 2007
This review is from: Pete Duel: A Biography (Paperback)
Pete Duel: A Biography

This book for me was a real eye opener. It is told by members of his family, his friends and colleagues. The material included cannot be disputed. They are memories of people that knew Peter best. I did not know him or claim to know him and for me, any information regarding his life and tragic death was something that I was truly grateful for.

Not hearing about his death back in 1971, I found out the hard way. I had tuned in to Alias Smith and Jones and discovered that Peter's character, Hannibal Heyes, aka Joshua Smith had been replaced by another actor. Very upset, I went searching for any and all information that I could find on the subject. I had come up empty handed except for a few television review books described what had happened in a few short sentences. Well, I wanted to learn more and I couldn't find anything to help me. I did discover in 2005, two Internet sites that helped me solve the mystery, but it still left me wanting more. Paul Green's book was both a revelation and a Godsend for me. I can describe the book as everything you always wanted to know about Peter but were afraid to ask. It is well written and concise.

It is authorized by his sister Pamela and is not a scathing unauthorized mess of negative stories and ideas. Paul has included the good and the bad of Peter's life, if people just took the time to read these pages and understand a little of what is being presented.I cannot understand what some fans are saying about the author and this book. Is it possible that we were reading the same information? Is it possible for fans to contradict what family and friends who have been close to him are saying? I don't understand.

I'll admit that I have no experience with an alcoholic relative, boyfriend or husband and those that do should have a clear picture of what was happening with this man instead of trying to put him down or analyze just what the author is saying here. I have however, had experiences with depression and epilepsy and seen firsthand what they can do. In this way I can empathize with Peter's situation and can finally put him in a positive light after all these years. The book is final closure for me as I'm sure for a lot of others who feel as I do.

This book hasn't changed the way I feel about Peter Duel, in fact this information has given me the respect that he has deserved and never received, even to this day. He is still a talented handsome man and a brilliant actor whose work I'd admire and enjoy. Thank you, Paul, for writing an excellent book and a job well done. Please know that it is appreciated.

[Add comment]
Name:
Badge:
This badge will be assigned to you and will appear along with your name.
There was an error. Please try again.
Please see the full guidelines ">here.

Official Comment

The following name and badge will be shown with this comment:
 (edit name)

Is this your product?

Otherwise, you can still post a regular comment on this review.

Is this your product?

System timed out

Prompts for sign-in

Comments

Tracked by 2 customers

Sort: Oldest first | Newest first
Showing 1-3 of 3 posts in this discussion
Initial post: 3 Nov 2011 12:56:09 GMT
Many thanks for a very in depth review of this book, I have yet to get myself a copy due to the expense of having it sent over from the States (can't seem to find a copy in the UK), but I was a big fan of AS&J and watched every Monday, it was so upsetting when I heard about Peters death and still can remember it clearly now - even though I am 54!! I heard that the author approached both Ben and Roger Davis (who took over Peters role), but he heard nothing back. Peters brother Geoffrey was also approached and although quotes of his were used he didn't want to take part. I think it sounds like an honest account of his life and his sister Pamela has said that she knew Peter was 'no prince'! Its amazing that even after all these years his death still affects many people.

In reply to an earlier post on 17 Jul 2014 20:45:17 BDT
This is an interesting and informative comment - thank you - especially the comment about Ben Murphy and Roger Davis apparently not responding to the author's approaches, given that they contributed significantly to 'Alias Smith & Jones: The Story of Two Pretty Good Bad Men' by Salaga and Bagwell (2005), which I think is itself a very objective and well-researched book. I too watched AS&J every Monday night at 8.00pm and was devastated when I read about Pete's death; and I'm a similar age - we must be of that same TV generation! As I write this, AS&J is being re-run on ITV4 and it looks as fresh and enjoyable as ever to watch.

In reply to an earlier post on 17 Jul 2014 22:34:36 BDT
Lets hope with the re-runs on ITV4 that there will be many more fans of Peter and Ben, I too have The Story of Two Pretty Good Bad Men which I am also pleased to have, not so much a bio (maybe that's why Roger and Ben felt they could contribute?) its more about each individual episode which I find very interesting, so much so that I now have the book next to me when watching! Just an update on the Pete Duel bio, there is going to be a revised edition with some new interviews, pics and stories of the fans journeys and how they became fans of Peters, I believe it is still being written and not sure of the release date.
‹ Previous 1 Next ›

Review Details

Item

4.2 out of 5 stars (14 customer reviews)

28.50 25.82