5.0 out of 5 stars A cracking console RTS to rival the best the PC has to offer, 26 May 2009
= Fun:5.0 out of 5 stars
This review is from: Halo Wars - Limited Edition (Xbox 360) (Video Game)
I've been playing PC RTS games since the original C&C and I think what Emsemble have accomplished with Halo Wars is nothing short of astounding. The biggest problems console RTS games face is a lack of fine control for unit select and micromanagement. But Halo Wars provides a control system that means you can quickly select either all your units, some of them or different sub-groups of units. This allows you supreme control of army, no matter how large it gets, and is key to victory.

The single player campaign is passable, some of the missions are fairly interesting and the cut scenes are of the highest quality but it doesn't ever seem to reach an epic climax and despite playing through it on normal and heroic i can't remember much of the story. However, none of that really matters because just like Halo 3, this game was designed to be played online.

Every unit in Halo Wars has a counter unit (a unit very effective at killing it), so playing successfully online involves scouting your enemies often and building the units that will best destroy theirs. Base building has been simplified but it doesn't take anything away from the strategies available, in fact, it gives the game a much more aggressive angle because you can build your base in a matter of seconds, and then spend the rest of the time harrassing your enemy. This makes games incredibly action packed.

There are also enough differences between the two factions to allow many varied strategies, some however, are more successful than most. After playing about 100 games online my 2v2 partner and I now have a strategy that has been undefeated in the past two weeks, we've toppled countless Colonels and Brigaders, none of whom have come close to beating us. I've played every significant RTS game that's come out on the PC over the last 15 years and none have given me as much fun per minute played as this game. The purists will scoff at this but whilst they waste their time thinking the PC is still the king of the RTS, we're having the time of our lives.

Full marks.

[Add comment]
Name:
Badge:
This badge will be assigned to you and will appear along with your name.
There was an error. Please try again.
Please see the full guidelines ">here.

Official Comment

The following name and badge will be shown with this comment:
 (edit name)

Is this your product?

Otherwise, you can still post a regular comment on this review.

Is this your product?

System timed out

Prompts for sign-in

Comments

Sort: Oldest first | Newest first
Showing 1-6 of 6 posts in this discussion
Initial post: 28 May 2009 14:39:31 BDT
Last edited by the author on 29 May 2009 07:58:53 BDT
This isn't a bad reveiw coming from you. I don't like these kind of games normally but you almost make me want to play it. Nice.

RTG

In reply to an earlier post on 29 May 2009 02:27:10 BDT
Last edited by the author on 29 May 2009 03:18:28 BDT
A. Burton says:
Hey Bunny Fuzz,

Miss me? Thought so ;) I put that reference to my friend in there because i knew you wouldnt' be able to resist, and as expected you fancied a chat with yours falsely. I thank you. I'm a little bit disappointed in you though, it took two days! must have been a busy day at work...

If your majesties would kindly allow me to retort:
P1 - No i don't actually, i like to be out of control (see our previous discussion for further info). I don't need to win, but i like it A LOT.
P2 - Guilty as charged your honourable Majesticness.
P3 - Have you thought about acting school? You obviously love characters and you've such a penchant for the dramatic. It's got plenty of strategy, like real time chess. That's all i conveyed.
P4 - My GamerTag is 'Khimaros'. Hit me up with a friend request, i dare ya! Go check my game history, you'll see i play almost all my games with Diablo Soul, going back, what, five years? Because - Shock Horror! - he's my best friend in real life. Duh. Whilst you're at it, check out my winning streak on Halo Wars, we are teh Haxors and have only lost 1 game in weeks cos we rock bro, we rock hard.

Anyways friend request yeah? i double dare ya, and i won't bite, be rude or ungracious about how many more personalities you have over me. I PROMISE.

In reply to an earlier post on 29 May 2009 10:31:32 BDT
Norcs says:
Do I spy a truce?

In reply to an earlier post on 3 Jun 2009 15:50:24 BDT
A. Burton says:
You never know! If Ramsey keeps composing reviews as competently as his Fallout 3 musings, i've got nothing but praise. So you decide...

In reply to an earlier post on 9 Jun 2009 16:50:18 BDT
I haven't been well. I have the ghost version of Bovine-Porcine-Canine-Feline-Caprid influenza virus. Don't worry, reviews will take an extra big dip in quality soon...

RTG - Limbo

In reply to an earlier post on 21 Sep 2009 08:40:11 BDT
We hit you! You oh so quiet! We wait for you in electric dreams!

Ramsey, Lucy, Gerry, Upton, Benny, Barbara, Roger, Gary, Philip, Ray, Howard, S K, Don, Mr Bus, Barry, Lucian, Maulbrey, Jimmy, Juan, Raoul, Bill, Tony, Jonty, Vinnie, Hugh, Bernie and Spok!
‹ Previous 1 Next ›

Review Details

Item

4.5 out of 5 stars (31 customer reviews)

Used & New from: £7.60
Add to wishlist
Reviewer

A. Burton

Location: Up me bum on second shelf