1.0 out of 5 stars Upgrade... NOT! Keep your old DVD!, 26 Oct. 2008
This review is from: AC/DC - No Bull: The Directors Cut [DVD] [2008] (DVD)
I own No Bull on VHS and also the previous DVD version, I'm a big fan of this particular show which I've seen countless times since I got it right when it was first released on VHS (along with the poster and limited edition 3-track live CD single from the same show).

Let me tell you I was always disappointed with the sound quality of this release, but I took it for what it was... After all, the performance is great and both band and audience are on fire, which is what makes No Bull a must for any self-respecting AC/DC fan...

So when I got news that a new edition of this personal favourite was being released, I pre-ordered straight away... but boy, was I wrong...

Yes, the sound has improved somewhat, I'll give them that... It's louder but it's also better balanced, with the drums getting the bigger improvement...
But the picture quality is TERRIBLE!! How is it possible to make a "hi-definition new transfer" look WORSE than the original release?

There's absolutely no definition whatsoever, the colour has been pushed so much that there's no detail at all and there is no real contrast, some colours bleed into the others and it becomes blurry where outlines should be clear... with this, you can't really see the faces of the musicians, just splashes of light that wash away their features... all you have to do is compare it with your old DVD to see what I mean... I switched back and forth between the two and it's mind-boggling how on earth can they sell this as an improvement...

I am honestly VERY disappointed in the quality of this release, which could've been good by just sticking the new soundtrack to the old picture... As I have said above, the remix has improved the sound a bit, it's true, but the picture quality is just so bad that I can't recommend it at all...

My recommendation is to stick with your old DVD edition for your watching pleasure (hunt it down if you don't have it!), because this new release may sound good, but it looks really awful...

[Add comment]