4.0 out of 5 stars Great replacement for D70, 28 Jun. 2013
This review is from: Nikon D5200 Digital SLR Camera with 18-55mm VR Lens Kit - Black (24.1MP) 3 inch LCD (discontinued by manufacturer) (Electronics)
I own a D80 which is my workhorse camera and, until recently had a D70 as backup. Ideally I would have got an 'upgrade' to the d7100 as the latest mid/pro offering, relegating my D80 to be the backup, but when I saw the specs for the D5200 and the 50% difference in price (PLUS the nifty swivelling screen - I do the odd Youtube video, so that's a bonus) I decided to err on the side of financial sense.

For convenience sake, I wish I'd had the funds for the 7100.

Bad points:
Even though the 5200 takes a wonderful shot, and the lens is far better than I had imagined (being a tad disappointed with the older kit lens from the D70), I am finding the display screen a royal pain in the bum. I miss the twin dials at the top and the quick settings shift in the little manually lit lcd. Faffing about to change settings, especially in low light situations if you're after a candid shot (where suddenly all your potential subjects hide behind their handbags as they see your face light up whilst you scrabble to turn off the automatic-always-on-default flash), is not something I'd foreseen.
Also, I am thoroughly disappointed that Nikon never seem to continue with the same extras like batteries, shutter releases and, even though I knew before I bought, auto focus in older lenses. It's a smaller camera. The motor is in the newer lenses. It's fine if I'm doing stills and have the time to set up a shot, but my eyesight's not what it used to be (even with the viewfinder or 3inch screen option). So again, for me, 'candid' is hit and miss.
Finally, on the gripes front, I know the manual warns about cropping and viewer-to-final-picture differences, but having done a nice little run of portraits using its kit lens, just about every wide angle, full body shot has the toes cut off even though I [thought I] left ample crop room at the time. It's more obvious doing videos in Live view, but I don't see why all the crop margins aren't catered for when building the camera. I really want the picture to be what I see through the viewfinder.
I thought I'd mention it, although it might just be me and a combination of wearing new glasses and faffing with a new camera.
So in summary, I feel like I might as well have bought an entirely different brand of camera when my original draw to Nikons' was so I could get maximum use out of all my lenses and products. The similarities, for me, stop at the lenses simply attaching. Oh, and the SD cards.

Good points:
It's fast. And with an incoming SDXC1 64GB card coming in, taking a tonne of RAW shots and HD videos should be easy.
The picture quality only becomes apparent once you get them on a PC and start zooming. Very impressive.
It's a great in-point camera for SLR loving, Windows 8, Iphone/Android using screen-heads. But it's not a touch screen for obvious reasons - if, like me, you view with your right eye, your nose or cheek would constantly be changing settings.
The pre-made settings and effects are good and intuitive, but imho they're gimmicks that can be better created in photoshop etc. Brilliant though for snaps and arty holiday shots perhaps.
It's smaller and lighter than the mid range models so less of a burden at all day events.

I've yet to give it a good run. I'm getting a second battery and in a couple of weeks will be able to evaluate how much use one charge will give (...that's if I don't give in and switch to the D80 all day).

On the whole, it's a good camera and the picture results are comparable to the D7100. However, getting to those results seems like a pain at the moment purely down to my middie D80 still being a familiar joy after all these years >< If you don't have any other Nikons to compare it to, it's a phenomenal first option!

EDIT: Just put the card in and can get from 1200 fine, large NEF+JPEG shots to 48600 small, basic JPEG shots with this camera. I used the £50 Nikon cashback to buy one (at current prices). However, much like the previous reviewer, the price of this camera dropped by £50 within a week of me buying it. SO it'll be more of a bargain for you :)

[Add comment]
Name:
Badge:
This badge will be assigned to you and will appear along with your name.
There was an error. Please try again.
Please see the full guidelines ">here.

Official Comment

The following name and badge will be shown with this comment:
 (edit name)

Is this your product?

Otherwise, you can still post a regular comment on this review.

Is this your product?

System timed out

Prompts for sign-in

Comments

Sort: Oldest first | Newest first
Showing 1-1 of 1 posts in this discussion
Initial post: 29 Aug 2013 09:07:13 BDT
I upgraded my D5000 to the D5100 18 months ago, the D5100 had been out only a few months. It cost £499. A year later the D5200 arrived and I was wishing I had held on. Six months later (end of August 2013) I bought one direct from Hong Kong, import taxes included, the kit version (w 18-55 lens) cost me £450 including delivery which took a whopping 3 days. I sold my D5100 for £350 so I got my amazing 24Mp DSLR for just an extra £100. Apart from being delighted with the deal, there are no words to describe just how good the images are. Some of the official reviews are a little constrained, which is odd.

Buy one today, don't mess about, this is great value at any price, a top quality image maker.
‹ Previous 1 Next ›