4.0 out of 5 stars He may have the grooves, but he ain't got the moves!, 30 April 2003
This review is from: Peter Gabriel: Secret World Live [DVD] (DVD)
Personally, I am delighted that this superb concert has been finally updated and released for DVD players.
Although I never owned the previous VHS edition, I HAVE owned the double-compact disc album of the same concert (from Italy in the early 1990's) for many years, so I was very familiar with the track list and performances.
... which brings me neatly on to my first minor gripe actually. One of my favourite songs from Peter - "Red Rain" is NOT included on this DVD release - even though it WAS present the audio CD edition (not sure if it was featured on the VHS edition - I suspect not). This is a real shame and it's *sadly* missed :( In my opinion his performance of Red Rain at this gig was actually superior in many ways to the original album version on "So" ...
Regarding the rest of this release, I have much better news! The w-i-d-e-s-c-r-e-e-n remastered picture quality is nothing short of superb in my opinion and a big step on from the VHS edition for sure. Sound quality is excellent too, but I have only a modest DVD player and speaker setup, so I cannot comment on the difference in quality between the DTS 5.1, Dolby Digital 5.1 and Dolby 2.0 options which are available to choose from!
One thing that DOES concern me about the sound on this release is the extent to which it has been "remastered" and "remixed".
Whilst it's true that Gabriel is known to be perfectionist (a quality about him which I like), I would argue that on this release the sound is almost *too* good. In other words, the crispness and slickness of the music combined with the lack of crowd volume (which has surely been turned DOWN??) leads to an end product which sounds more like a studio produced album rather than a "Live" concert. This criticism/observation could also be made about the existing audio CD version, but I am convinced that you will find that sound here on the DVD is quite different at times, which is both unexpected and a little concerning.
HOWEVER!! before I get all doom and gloom, let's look at the GREAT things about this release before I finish:
- The widescreen picture as mentioned is superb.
- Wonderful performances (especially from Gabriel and Paula Cole)
- Spot-on packaging.
- Interesting extra features.
Regarding the extra content, we are treated to a "behind-the-scenes" feature about the Secret World Tour and shows (interesting), as well as what is effectively a preview showreel for Peter's current world tour "Growing Up". Following on nicely from Secret World (albeit after a 10 year wait!), this looks set to be a remarkable show judging by the sneak preview we see here. Some other minor features are included, including a remixed version of the classic track "Steam".
Overall then, this is a welcome release on DVD of a superb concert. Due to the omission of "Red Rain" and the overly re-mixed sound (in my opinion anyway), I sadly cannot rate this DVD at 5 stars. However, it is a rock solid 4 star product and one which all Peter Gabriel fans will treasure.
One final point though: [which explains my title for this review!] - whilst there is no doubt in my mind that Peter Gabriel is one of THE singer/songwriter talents out there, there is one thing he cannot do - DANCE! (so yes - he's got the grooves, but he ain't got the moves!)
Witness his actions during "In Your Eyes" and "Shaking the Tree" on this DVD and you'll surely see what I mean!
John Mounsey, April 2003.

[Add comment]
Name:
Badge:
This badge will be assigned to you and will appear along with your name.
There was an error. Please try again.
Please see the full guidelines ">here.

Official Comment

The following name and badge will be shown with this comment:
 (edit name)

Is this your product?

Otherwise, you can still post a regular comment on this review.

Is this your product?

System timed out

Prompts for sign-in

Comments

Sort: Oldest first | Newest first
Showing 1-3 of 3 posts in this discussion
Initial post: 27 Feb 2013 15:36:01 GMT
Stacy says:
Cool, informative review. I have an ancient copy of this concert so I'm now going to upgrade & get this new version. Re. PG's dancing, I heard his guitarist once say that he "dances on instinct" which I think is a kind way of saying he does what he feels right rather than what looks right...I genuinely thought on this tour he had choreography though! It's an improvement on the Live in Athens anyhow and sorry but the whole Steam routine is classic..Maybe you have to be female to appreciate it! :)

In reply to an earlier post on 27 Feb 2013 15:43:37 GMT
John Mounsey says:
Thanks for the kind words.

I am now left in a state of *shock* (having noticed that I penned this review on Amazon nearly 10-YEARS-AGO!!) - Where has that time gone..? #amazing.

Take care,
John.

In reply to an earlier post on 28 Feb 2013 11:46:17 GMT
Stacy says:
Do you know I didn't even notice that! My god....I was only 20 in 2003....How depressing! :)
‹ Previous 1 Next ›

Review Details

Item

4.4 out of 5 stars (67 customer reviews)

29.99