ARRAY(0xa54b0a8c)

1.0 out of 5 stars Difficult Game, 1 Oct 2009
= Fun:1.0 out of 5 stars
This review is from: Cross Edge (PS3) (Video Game)
This is the worse game that I have personally ever played and I feel that I must review it so that other people are aware of the more complex or difficulty in accessing the gameplay.

The graphics seem unusually weak for a PS3 game and in the dungeons it becomes 2D styling. The storyline seems quite weak, and conversations are primarily by way of people popping up and talking rather than within the gameplay itself.

I found the gameplay frustrating beyond belief, as the manual failed to explain the details of fighting clearly for me and the in-game instruction did not improve my understanding. I found myself unable to figure out what I was supposed to be doing and spent half the time within the menu button-bashing. I died endlessly whilst I tried to figure out what I was supposed to be doing, and why some characters suddenly became useless.

If you are happy to spend a lot of time trying to figure out "how to play the game" and aren't into the fancy graphics of Final Fantasy and the like, then this game may be for yourself. But if like me, you prefer a game to give you a bigger hint as to how to play it and like some decent graphics and story, then you may be best looking at an alternative game.

[Add comment]
Name:
Badge:
This badge will be assigned to you and will appear along with your name.
There was an error. Please try again.
Please see the full guidelines ">here.

Official Comment

The following name and badge will be shown with this comment:
 (edit name)

Is this your product?

Otherwise, you can still post a regular comment on this review.

Is this your product?

System timed out

Prompts for sign-in

Comments

Sort: Oldest first | Newest first
Showing 1-6 of 6 posts in this discussion
Initial post: 6 Oct 2009 01:02:28 BDT
This review is terrible, it is just you complaining about graphics that are characteristic of most, if not all of the companies involved in making the game, you can't expect them to go back on their own signature styles of graphic just because you want them to. If you'd done your research on the companies involved you'd have found that for the style of game being made, they ALWAYS use 2D, cartoony graphics. I don't want to comment on the story, I haven't completed the game so I just don't want to say anything in case I end up having to eat my own words. The gameplay is challenging, which if I'm not mistaken, is what you want from a game. If you want an easy game, go buy an easier game. It's not their fault that if they give a certain weapon or skill a range that is visible on screen, that people wouldn't work out that they would need to position their characters appropriately.

All in all, your review only points out the fact that you don't like the game because it's hard and that the graphics aren't the visually mindblowing standard that you'd expect from Square-Enix, instead they've gone for the 'retro' look which has an artistic merit all of it's own. They graphics don't actually hurt your eyes and you can tell what you're looking at, therefore, the graphics are fine for a game that a company that forgoes graphical prowess for an in depth, stunning set of game mechanics.

Posted on 24 Oct 2009 17:30:44 BDT
Sebastian-Jr says:
I dont honestly think K.Gregory had ever played, or even knew what an RPG game was ! "conversations are primarily by way of people popping up and talking rather than within the gameplay itself."He Says......Is this guy for real ?
If K.Gregory is a young person, then im sorry for my comments, otherwise ignore his/her review and look at some of the others for a fairer assesment of this game.

In reply to an earlier post on 24 Oct 2009 21:03:36 BDT
Last edited by the author on 24 Oct 2009 21:04:12 BDT
K. Gregory says:
I'm not quite sure what age has to do with the ability to be able to write a review to a game. I have re-written my post since the initial commentor on the 6th October and feel that it is now fairer and more reflective, rather than in the haste of my frustration with the game.

I have played many RPG games and in terms of the conversation I was referring to the unusual way in which two characters when speaking appear at the front of the screen larger and no longer within the gameplay as they talk between themselves. This is different to where a cut-scene may appear or characters talk to one another within the gameplay scene. I feel that my review is fair and appropriate, and advises people of my preference to certain types of RPG games. I am simply providing an alternative view, and those who have awarded this game five-star have all stated that the game is more difficult to get into and is perhaps aimed at a certain preference of gaming style. I therefore see no issue with the review that I have provided.

In reply to an earlier post on 21 Jan 2010 18:42:05 GMT
A. Cheng says:
I think he's (sebastian-jr) referring to the terrible grammar, with the young person comment, also young people may be forgiven for giving a bad review... I'm guessing english isn't you're first language, but i could be wrong

Your review doesn't have much depth, and you haven't really justified why you gave it such a low score, other than with elements you didn't like personally. Most people consider a good review to be more objective, and for criticisms to be more universal.. for example, you're point about the graphics could be fair... but not being able to figure out the game may have been more down to you..

Posted on 26 Jun 2011 02:20:39 BDT
Alex Noble says:
I think your criticism of the game's weak tutorial is fair enough, it doesn't explain any of the systems very well at all, literally just one screen's worth of information and that's your lot.

The rest of the stuff is to be expected from the game though, reviews, descriptions and gameplay videos make it clear. I would recommend researching game purchases in future rather than buying on a whim.

Posted on 21 Jan 2012 08:11:38 GMT
After reading this review I actually want to buy the game.
‹ Previous 1 Next ›

Review Details

Item

3.8 out of 5 stars (6 customer reviews)

44.99 29.95