5.0 out of 5 stars Has its faults, but it actually works very well, 11 May 2013
This review is from: Myibidder Bid Sniper for eBay Pro (App)
Before I get into the minor issues with this app, let me get to the meat of it: this app works, and works very well.

I had a lot of difficulty getting successful bids on eBay (my interest is in Photographic equipment), always been pipped at the final post. I generally only won if I set a high maximum bid close to the 'Buy now' price (which is basically saying my bidding technique is awful so I had to throw money at the problem), or getting into expensive bidding contests (which rarely results in a bargain purchase).

Myibidder works by 'sniping', which is looking at the current max bid in the last few seconds of the auction, and beating it by the minimum increment. That way, your fellow bidders get no warning of your final price, have no time to get into a bidding war with you, and can't test nor consider your maximum price until it's too late. Sniping doesn't guarantee a win: if someone else has put in a higher max bid than you, you will still lose (but at least then Myibidder stops you getting into a bidding war: it coldly looks at your max and steps out of the bid, so you don't get carried away and lumbered with a questionable bargain).

The Myibidder app doesn't even need to be on and active when the bid ends: it communicates with a server, and its the server that remotely puts the bid in for you. Sneaky!

Let me give you some figures: in a recent eBay bid, I wanted a lens that retails for 230 on Amazon UK. They tend to go for about 150 on eBay UK. The lot ended at 3am, so I already knew the max bid would be low, and decided to bid. I set a max snipe of 140 and went to bed. In the morning I saw I had won at a price of 114! Someone else HAD actually stayed up to manually bid: they had even tested for max bids well before the final run so were sitting on the winning bid. The usual setup for a bidding war, but there was no late night bidding war here because my one and only bid came in 3 seconds before the end, with no time for the other person to respond, and no standing max bids for me to beat. End result: a saving of 33% on the normal eBay price and half retail price! Perhaps some may quibble that this was not on a fair playing field against the fellow bidder, but certainly not illegal nor technically wrong (the fellow bidder DOES have a beating strategy and DOES win sometimes: they have to set a higher max bid).

With Myibidder, my successful bid rate currently sits at 33%. I win a third of my bids, and at a price I am very happy with. If there is no higher sitting max bid then it is very simple: I win. Myibidder also allows you to link a number of bids for the same product together so 33% can become 100% overall (e.g. I wanted a particular Flashgun, and there were 4 of them, so I set Myibidder so it bid only if I hadn't already won one of the 4 - so that 33% success rate became 100% overall: I got that flashgun). This also makes it easier to win at a low price: set a low bid up if you see an item on 10 auctions so you will get it at your price eventually, and without having to persevere on manual bidding. Meeting a fellow sniper is actually very rare, so not something to worry about.

In fact, my overall buy prices are now so good that I could later resell many of my wins with profit on Amazon (NB: this may be unique to certain photographic equipment though, as decent lenses tend to hold their price and don't depreciate like many other tech items - including cameras - do).

The app has some issues though, and they are all to do with usability. When you look at your bids, you have to manually refresh every time: it isn't clever enough to just do it for you. Worse, the option to refresh isn't a button on screen, but tucked in the Settings dropdown! I really wish the developer would see sense and at least refresh all data on first opening of the app. It almost feels like the developer is being obtuse on purpose: they don't want their server to get too much traffic!

However once you get past that, this app is really good for its purpose, and that's all that really matters in the end. As noted above, if you are an Ebay buyer and an Amazon seller, then you could actually build a small side business around it with some shrewd bidding... and a good nights sleep for the day job thrown into the bargain!

Be the first person to comment on this review.

[Add comment]