1.0 out of 5 stars Not fit for purpose, 3 Aug. 2012
This review is from: 2 x SWIDO Anti-Reflective Screen Protector for Olympus E-M5 OM-D / EM5 OMD - PREMIUM QUALITY (non-reflecting, hard-coated, bubble free application) (Accessory)
I never write reviews unless something is either fantastic, or it's so bad it's a con, and I wish I had read a review which had stopped my buying it.

I bought these because I read the four (at the time) `five star' ratings.

Either the other reviewers have exceptionally low standards, or I received a duff set.
Due to the amount wrong with these covers, I don't think mine are duff, just very bad due to the low quality standards of this company. However, I have considered the possibility.

I would like to point out that during every stage I followed the very vague instructions. Neither did I allow any dust or dirt to get on the screen, because I literally removed the film cover from my brand new OM-D just before I put this screen protector on.

What is wrong with these screen protectors? Three fundamental things.

1. The protectors are cloudy. Yes CLOUDY. The OM-D has a fantastically sharp and vibrant LCD screen, but with this screen protector, it looks marginally better than it did before I removed the manufacturers film cover. As I removed the film cover around 1 minute before I applied this screen protector, I was in a pretty good position to judge this. A cloudy, blurry LCD screen protector? This is unbelievable. I have a smart phone with a cover that I can't even tell is on there, so the technology is definitely available. To produce a cloudy LCD protector is simply a con. These covers are so cloudy, that I literally mistook the actual protector for the peel off backing... and wasted it in one fell swoop. I am NOT exaggerating here. Perhaps it was very poor judgement on my behalf... but the protector was definitely cloudy. For an MP3 player this might be acceptable, but for the LCD screen on a (IMO) semi professional camera, this is not acceptable. By using this product, you are negating one of the many fantastic attributes of your new camera. You cannot judge a photo looking through this protector.

2. The protectors are too small for the OM-D screen. Perhaps almost as important as the above point. The protectors included in the pack (both of mine) are too small to cover the OM-D's LCD screen. This is terrible. Poor QC. You cannot protect the whole LCD screen, and if you remove the protector a few months later, you will probably have an dirty and maybe damaged (if you're rough) edge to your beautiful LCD screen. It will only be the 1mm all the way around the edge of the screen (if you apply the protector to the middle), but to me this makes the protector not fit for purpose.

3. The protectors are very difficult to apply. Three points here:

There are not enough tabs on the protector to have a good chance successfully applying it. You may well get through both just because you mess one up (or like me you threw it away thinking it is the adhesive backing, because it is cloudy).

Unlike other protectors I have used for other devices, the removable film backing carries no adhesive, so once you have applied the protector, there is no way of removing it without putting your finger nail underneath it and ruining the protector trying to get it off to remove a small piece of dust or to realign it. Should have used sellotape!

The instructions are very vague, and for anyone who has not applied a protector before to any device, will not find them very helpful.

[Add comment]
Name:
Badge:
This badge will be assigned to you and will appear along with your name.
There was an error. Please try again.
Please see the full guidelines ">here.

Official Comment

The following name and badge will be shown with this comment:
 (edit name)

Is this your product?

Otherwise, you can still post a regular comment on this review.

Is this your product?

System timed out

Prompts for sign-in

Comments

Tracked by 2 customers

Sort: Oldest first | Newest first
Showing 1-4 of 4 posts in this discussion
Initial post: 26 Aug 2012 12:22:58 BDT
AJOM says:
So, which kind of screen protector do you recommend?

In reply to an earlier post on 2 Sep 2012 00:10:03 BDT
Joseph K says:
Let me get back to you on that. A static fixed protector, of a much higher quality - but I have yet to see one for the OM-D. Another thing to add; after getting back from a hol to Indonesia I can confirm that my protector peeled off in my fingers in the hot humid climate. Nothing happened to my subsequently unprotected screen.
Perhaps a protector isn't even necessary?

Posted on 9 Dec 2012 01:10:07 GMT
KT says:
I agree with everything you said except #2, as I think the size is a pretty good fit.

I was also about to throw out the actual protector because I thought it was the adhesive backing due to it looking and feeling the way it does.

I got two pieces of dusts into my first try, so I took it off and used my second try - and I got one piece of dust in. Not the protectors fault, but annoying to me, so I think I'll try to by a different product and try again.

In reply to an earlier post on 28 Jul 2013 20:20:39 BDT
Joseph K says:
Hope you found a better one... if so please let me know what you're using!
‹ Previous 1 Next ›