5.0 out of 5 stars Great Book, 7 Jun. 2014
This review is from: Reader (Daughter of Time Book 1) (Kindle Edition)
I would like to thank Erec Stebbins for allowing me the chance to read this book along with the second one following.

I loved this book. This is approaching science fiction in a whole new aspect. Ideas, philosophy, divinity and more. Finally science fiction that is extremely introspective, without becoming stupidly ruminative. Finally science fiction that isn’t boiled down to typical materialism and space wars. There is definitely traces of Heinlein in this novel.

Post-structuralism
I know there are only a few instances where this topic comes up but any book that uses post-structuralist concepts is a win for me. Great reminder of how fallible and paradoxical the human language is.

Analogies
Most of the aliens encountered are analogies of us—humans—which further reveal our nature. Drams are a given, especially their castes of religion and science.

The Dram
This is an interesting species because of its stark resemblance to us. *Spoiler* when Earth was destroyed it reminded me of the death of culture as experienced by humans. Very chilling. Also an interesting question is raised: why is religion still present in such an advanced species like the dram? If they are superiors to us then why hold onto the belief? Something tells me it might have something to do with who created the artificial orbs. We’ll see.

Romanticism
Visions from the reader remind me of those described by many Romantic poets (Blake, Shelly, Wordsworth) and that's really awesome. Ambra's intense mental intuition is sort of like emotion itself. This book could do wonders in terms of a Romantic interpretation and indeed I consider Stebbins in this work a modern Romantic. However, I don’t agree with the origins of the visions—I’m a die hard Romantic following Shelley’s non-religious theory, but that’s just me. Coincidentally it is through dreams and visions that most reflective art is created.

Breaking all Sorts of Boundaries
This book breaks the division between the reader and the writer which I have never seen in any science fiction novel. This is important. Novel, is important; i.e., creating something new and something challenging. I’m glad this book leaves me wondering and challenging my own beliefs.

Quotations and Equations
I admired this aspect of the book. Some really good philosophers mentioned. Have no idea what the equations means lol.

The Only Problem
The only real problem I encountered was the dialogue and writing style. I feel like they could be better to enhance the story and all its different concepts. But nothing is perfect and the storyline as well as the immense concepts—some of which, no doubt, I have forgotten to mention—make up for it.

The dram wars spin off would be amazing dealing with concepts like morality and law and religion in space. Already starting to see some utilitarian principles in the xix. I would love to know more about the different species.

Be the first person to comment on this review.

[Add comment]