5.0 out of 5 stars So many tools my box isn't big enough!, 15 Oct 2013
This review is from: Supporting Character Secrets (Screenwriting Blue Books Book 12) (Kindle Edition)
I used to read Bill's Script tips every day religiously 5 or so years ago but fell out of the habit. Since then I've read a handful of screenwriting books to keep me motivated and to continue learning.
Recently I felt I wasn't getting a regular hit and my writing was becoming a drag so I picked up the tips again which lead me to Blue Books on Kindle - a great innovation. So in minutes I was up and running with Supporting Characters to give me the kick up the pants I needed for my ongoing horror script.
And boy did it work. Some people have the knack of being able to dissect scripts and writing and communicate some of the elements clearly and concisely. Bill is one of those. He takes good and bad examples in scripts and uses them to show how a particular technique might work.
I titled this review about tools deliberately. These are not rules to be followed without thought, but techniques that you can try that should help you. If they don't, you've lost nothing. Sometimes they appear so simple that I wonder why I didn't think of that!
Some may find the tools too cold or not organic as you can find yourself having to design characters. But that's the point. Screenplays are designed so we should give ourselves the best chance for good design.
I'm very glad I got this book and will be exploring more in the future (once I've done some more writing). I just need a Bill to put his audio onto Audible and then I can get him straight to my iPod as well as Kindle!
Thoroughly recommended.

Be the first person to comment on this review.

[Add comment]