1.0 out of 5 stars Bass to the right of them, horns to the left of them, into the valley of crud rode the remastering engineers, 21 May 2010
This review is from: Mingus Ah Um - 50th Anniversary Legacy Edition (Audio CD)
This is one of the best jazz albums of all time. But this remastering is a catastrophe. It sounds like half the musicians
are lined up against one wall and the others are lined up against the opposite wall in a very large studio. The engineers
responsible need to look up the definition of the word "stereo" in the dictionary. There is no way that Teo Macero had this
in mind: check out his exemplary Miles Davis recordings, some of the best ever made (quite apart from the music).
Toxic! Do not touch with a ten-foot barge pole!

[Add comment]
Name:
Badge:
This badge will be assigned to you and will appear along with your name.
There was an error. Please try again.
Please see the full guidelines ">here.

Official Comment

The following name and badge will be shown with this comment:
 (edit name)

Is this your product?

Otherwise, you can still post a regular comment on this review.

Is this your product?

System timed out

Prompts for sign-in

Comments

Sort: Oldest first | Newest first
Showing 1-6 of 6 posts in this discussion
Initial post: 18 Apr 2011 21:30:48 BDT
Udeen says:
I love the title of this review. This is a work of art in itself.

Posted on 15 Nov 2011 16:51:13 GMT
D. KNIGHT says:
you really haven't got a clue, have you!

In reply to an earlier post on 16 Nov 2011 06:33:09 GMT
J. Patterson says:
Presumably you mean that somehow I do not hear what I describe in my review and that there is some other explanation. Presumably there is also an explanation for why you think it's OK to abuse someone in this way. Is that how you deal with people in person? What are your objections to what I say? Perhaps you have a neurological explanation for why I hear an absurdly exaggerated separation of instruments, when that is not in fact the case -- I assume you mean that what I am describing is an illusion that affects only me.

I have just read your own review. I do not say it has bad sound. It has fantastic sound, as one would expect from Teo Macero and Columbia. It is the utterly artificial separation which is bad and makes the disk unplayable. But please don't resort to abuse as your default position.

In reply to an earlier post on 3 May 2012 04:06:55 BDT
Last edited by the author on 3 May 2012 04:07:20 BDT
DH Dixon says:
I am reluctant to buy 24 bit remastered jazz records as I find the bass is thin and the treble too brash. I think 20 bit sounds better. I am not commenting on this one as I haven't heard it.

In reply to an earlier post on 3 Jun 2012 20:58:15 BDT
I haven't heard this album either- the remastered version that is- but I'm intrigued by your comments on the thinness of the bass and the brashness of treble in 24bit remasters as against 20bit. I have several 20bit remasters but am not sure I have any 24bit.

Despite much of the hype about 24bit recording I still enjoy sound recorded in 20 bit with ADAT XT recorders, but I also enjoy sound recorded with 24bit. Now in my 60s and with the benefit of good quality sound reproduction equipment, I'm generally pushed to hear much difference between recordings made with either bit rate. In theory there should be slightly better transient response and slightly more high end but I'm damned if I can hear it.

I have always loved jazz recordings of the 50s and early 60s and have viewed them as the pinnacle of the art. It was all there in the original alalogue tapes. One of the dangers in modern technology is that it allows one to do so much that was difficult or downright impossible in the days of analogue tape that there is always the danger of overusing it, especially if the engineer hasn't got the ears for these wonderful original recordings.

I suspect the issues you complain of may be due to the ears of the remastering engineer rather than any inherent weaknesses in 24bit technology.

Posted on 27 Aug 2013 10:36:09 BDT
Are you listening with headphones? Or to a standard 2.0 stereo speaker setup? Please provide more information.

I have this release and do not understand your issue - in fact, this is one of the best sounding and perfectly mixed jazz albums I've heard. This refers to both my listening to it through steeo speakers and earphones (using crossfeed, which I think is essential for all headphones, but there you go).
‹ Previous 1 Next ›

Review Details

Item

4.4 out of 5 stars (9 customer reviews)

Reviewer