4.0 out of 5 stars A good continuation of the series, 19 Nov 2011
= Fun:5.0 out of 5 stars
This review is from: Call of Duty: Modern Warfare 3 - Hardened Edition (Xbox 360) (Video Game)
I brought the Hardened Edition and that is what I am going to review.

-- Packaging --
I was quite surprised by the size of the box it came in, I was expecting something a little slimmer based on the contents (a card and a mini field guide) but everything had its own area and fitted perfectly (Although I found the field guide to a bit tough to get back in once I got it out). Overall I am happy with the contents and the packaging.

-- Game Manual --
This is just a tiny little issue that I have with some games released these days, including this one. the games manual is literally 10 pages long and most of that is credits. When I think manual I imagine a little booklet containing colourful images and illustrations showing the various controls and perhaps even a back story and profiles of some of the characters but no, this is the bare minimum of what you can call a manual, the instructions is just a white box with the various icons on it such as grenade, ammo etc. Was it really too much effort to at least show what it actually looks like IN GAME??

-- The Game --
The campaign I found moderately enjoyable but I felt that something was missing and that something was a little variety every now and then, the previous games had levels which had you in control of a gunship, on a speed boat, sneaking through snow and whatnot but. Don't get me wrong MW3 has some of these things but they are more bite sized and they are over way too quickly. But I still loved the game I found it enjoyable to control some of the guns and airships brief as it was.

The game took me around 6 hrs to complete and that includes back tracking to get some of the intel and level specific achievements which I guess is ok for Call of Duty since most people will spend literally months of game time in the space of a year, so as game time goes MW3 is a bargain.

-- The Online --
I found the online to be very enjoyable, I tend to stick to team deathmatch and very rarely venture elsewhere however I discovered Kill Confirmed which is basically team deathmatch but instead of earning points towards goals for kills, you earn for getting kills and then picking up the tag the players dropped. This makes for a more strategic match since you can confirm your teams kills and deny other kills made by your opponents which is already mildly amusing.

-- Spec Ops --
There are two modes here, Missions and Survival. I'm not going into detail about these, its very similar to what we see on MW2 however the survival is a LITTLE like Zombies from Black Ops and World at World. Basically in survival you choose a map (which are the online maps) and then kill the various waves of enemies, it starts out easy at first but the enemies quickly becomes tougher to kill and deal more damage, plus with dogs and choppers flying around it makes for quite a fun game.

-- Overall --
Overall I like the game, I really do, I found the single player to be fun and enjoyable, the online is great and the spec ops are good too as a little thing to do while your bored. However its small things that made me give the game only 4 stars such as the manual and lack of variety in the single player but the main reason is simply because this is basically the direct sequel to MW2 and I found the game a little too similar (don't get me wrong, I like that they kept the gameplay and visuals the same) but I feel that there is a lack of NEW features so for me its 5 Stars for fun but 4 Stars overall.

Thank you for reading and I hope my spelling and grammar wasn't too bad :P

[Add comment]