2.0 out of 5 stars ONLY OK WITH PLASTIC BOWLS. METAL BOWLS UPSET THE MECHANISM!, 23 Jun. 2014
This review is from: Smart Weigh Professional Digital Kitchen and Postal Scale with Tempered Glass Platform (Kitchen & Home)
Yes, these scales look beautiful and sleek. Yes they weigh accurately. And, yes, they do give you a bare minute to add perhaps 7 or 8 different ingredients to your recipe. Despite their great accuracy a gram of yeast might not be enough to reset the clock, so you will be timed out! (And if you turn your back maybe to look for some forgotten item for a minute you will be timed out!) You could call it fun of course, a kind of game to see if you are fast enough! And then if you are timed out you just start again at zero for each ingredient. BUT the BIG PROBLEM is this. When you try to re-zero the mystery message pops up 'OUT2'. You try again and there it is again - 'OUT2'. And again and again and again. Now this is past fun! You simply cannot now weigh any new ingredients. You have to start guessing the weights! You are perpetually stymied by 'OUT2'.

NEW IMPORTANT INFORMATION (16th August): OUT2 is not in the operating manual. I contacted Smart Weigh I have been told OUT2 is actually OUTZ and means the scales need re-calibration which can only be done by them. They even sent me replacement scales. They were exactly the same! I then conducted this experiment.

I had been using the scales in bread making putting the bread pan directly on the scales (as I have been doing for years with all my scales). I wondered whether the metal of the pan could have had something to do with the problem. I tried with a plastic bowl and there was no OUT2 message. The scales were fine with plastic! Same when I repeated with the first scales. They were ok with plastic! I went back to the bread pan and it was OUT2 again. I tried with a stainless steel sauce pan. OUT2 again! An iron pan. OUT2! A Le Creuset casserole pan. OUT2! However a Circulon non-stick pan though metal was surprisingly ok.

The conclusion of my experiment: These scales cannot cope with most forms of metal. If OUT2 means recalibration is required it is very strange that this is only the case with metal bowls. I hope some readers will try the same experiment and it would be great to know the result. Surely some people use stainless steel mixing bowls on the scales. Are these ok? I have passed all this to Smart Weigh and they said they were very interested. I am hoping they will conduct similar experiments and if these confirm my findings that they will make the necessary adjustments to their scales. They would then possibly be worth 5 stars - though only if they gave the cook at least 2 minutes before timing out! (They tell me they may well change the time-out period as they have had so many unhappy about this feature.)

[Add comment]
Name:
Badge:
This badge will be assigned to you and will appear along with your name.
There was an error. Please try again.
Please see the full guidelines ">here.

Official Comment

The following name and badge will be shown with this comment:
 (edit name)

Is this your product?

Otherwise, you can still post a regular comment on this review.

Is this your product?

System timed out

Prompts for sign-in

Comments

Tracked by 3 customers

Sort: Oldest first | Newest first
Showing 1-4 of 4 posts in this discussion
Initial post: 30 Jul 2014 17:13:28 BDT
Joey Ramone says:
You should have returned them.

In reply to an earlier post on 31 Jul 2014 08:17:36 BDT
Last edited by the author on 31 Jul 2014 08:19:21 BDT
Pierre says:
I had lost my instruction leaflet. Thought it would give info about 'out2'. Found it yesterday. It has nothing at all about 'out2'. It has an email address. I spent 30 min writing an email. I clicked 'send'. Message told me email address was not valid! I googled 'out2' and only then found 'out2' means the scales are not well calibrated. One person said you should return the scales. Others said how you could recalibrate - very complicated. I should have returned as you say. Probably too late now. But what a firm to make scales with this 'out2' message and to tell you nothing about it, and to give you an invalid email address!

In reply to an earlier post on 6 Oct 2014 18:25:14 BDT
Alphabet says:
I have just bought these scales and use them for bread-making, weighing directly into the metal bread-pan. I also got this error BUT ONLY when I put the pan on the scales before giving the scales time to turn on and show the zero weight. If I wait for the initial zero, put the bread-pan on and then reset zero then all works fine. Tried it with a heavy circular pan with the same result. Have you been putting the pan on the scales before turning the scales on? If so, I suspect it is nothing to do with metal but more to do with turning the scales on when there is already a heavy weight on them. Just a thought.

In reply to an earlier post on 6 Oct 2014 20:16:58 BDT
Pierre says:
Thank-you Alphabet, I thought you had cracked it! Sadly the old 'out2' came up just the same. 3 times in a row, despite putting the bread-pan on after the initial zero and resetting zero! With a plastic bowl again no problem - unless - wait for it! - I put the metal bread-pan in the plastic bowl. It was 'out2' again every time! And again pretending to weigh a stainless-steel sauce-pan! So the metal has even more to do with it than I thought at first. Even WEIGHING metal throws these crazy scales out - or out2! You must have a magic touch I, unfortunately, just do not have!
‹ Previous 1 Next ›