4.0 out of 5 stars Set Up WiFi Extender, 14 Dec 2010
This review is from: Netgear Universal Wi-Fi Range Extender (Accessory)
I bought this extender as I work from a converted garage now office at the bottom of the garden. In the house we had very poor wi-fi signal and my son had major problems with his XBOX 360 Live connections. I first of all changed the channel on my Sky router and did get a better signal. But on buying the extender we now have full signal strength in the house and my son is a happy bunny as he also has full wi-fi signal for XBOX live.
After spending a little time trying to set the extender up I found out why I was having some issues. This is what I did:

1. Before turning on the extender, check the networks on your machine. ( I for some reason had another 4 networks on my PC no idea why, but apart from your own router which you will see with your own SSID, any other that you do not know delete. (Because of these other wireless networks the extender would not connect to internet although it would to the router/modem)

2. Fire up the extender

3. Connect via wireless to NETGEAR_EXT which when you scan for wireless networks you will see.

4. Once connected open your browser, this will take you to the Netgear config wizard. (Make sure your extender is as far away from your router as you can) Carry out the wizard instructions.

5. You will need to enter your wireless network key for the extender to connect to your router/modem.

6. On completion you will now notice two of your networks (eg. NETWORK111 and NETWORK111_EXT one is your router/modem and the other with suffix _EXT is the extender.

Please be aware that if you have a good enough signal without the extender do not connect as this slows everything down I found. The extender is designed to be used "out of range" or on the border of a signal.

I highly recommend to anyone in a similar position this product.

[Add comment]
Name:
Badge:
This badge will be assigned to you and will appear along with your name.
There was an error. Please try again.
Please see the full guidelines ">here.

Official Comment

The following name and badge will be shown with this comment:
 (edit name)

Is this your product?

Otherwise, you can still post a regular comment on this review.

Is this your product?

System timed out

Prompts for sign-in

Comments

Tracked by 1 customer

Sort: Oldest first | Newest first
Showing 1-5 of 5 posts in this discussion
Initial post: 18 Apr 2011 12:15:34 BDT
Ian Jones says:
hi,
Do you have any idea how far this will transmit to?
thanks ,
Ian

Posted on 10 Aug 2011 17:03:00 BDT
Willowherb says:
I'm thinking of buying this item but am not that 'tech savvy'. Your review is particularly helpful as I need to connect to a home office too. Many thanks!

In reply to an earlier post on 13 Oct 2011 09:18:14 BDT
Hi Ian I am soooo sorry only just seen this post, I was not sent this from Amazon!. I guess you are fixed up now. The extender has more than doubled my area so for me was a great purchase.

Posted on 27 Dec 2011 12:42:36 GMT
C. Cresswell says:
thanks for the detailed information. i now know how this device operates so will buy with a lot more confidence.

Posted on 12 Nov 2013 19:07:39 GMT
Genius help. Thank you so much.

Harry
‹ Previous 1 Next ›

Review Details

Item

3.8 out of 5 stars (404 customer reviews)

44.99 38.83