5.0 out of 5 stars Moan moan moan moan moan..., 19 Aug 2010
This review is from: Doctor Who - The Complete Series 5 (Limited Edition Steelbook) [DVD] (DVD)
'Oh, I didn't like it', 'He's not as good as David Tennant', 'It's not as good as the original show', 'Well of course, I remember William Hartnell' blah blah blah blah blah. It's funny, Doctor Who fans now don't have to hark all the way back to the original series ('63- '89) anymore, but now can hark back to more recent times to come up with a flaccid 'the new series isn't as good as it was' argument. I have been a fan for Doctor Who since 1973, through it's considerable highs and it's many (lets be honest here) considerable lows. To admit one was even a fan of the show was at one period of history akin to admitting to necrophilia, although not as racey. But Doctor Who has done what it always does; it dusts itself off and enjoys the fact that it can regenerate, just like the main character in the series. It saddens me that Who fans have a demographic within them that is bitter, bitchy, po-faced and nostalgic to the point of myopia. Some of the more negative critiques (and I use that word very loosely indeed) aimed at series 5 on Amazon have again been sadly penned by this camp of moan-mongering morons who wish it was yester-year again. It's not; get over it.

Here's joke for you; How many Doctor Who fans does it take to change a light bulb? Just one, but they think the new light bulb isn't as good as the old one.

Matt Smith was a suprising choice and I had mixed feelings when the news broke late in 2008. Tennant did a wonderful job and was given many wonderful stories to get his teeth into. Smith has taken the mantel of Who and done some equally wonderful work with it. I think Moffatt was put on a pedestal by fans to be knocked off if any of his tenure of producer gave stories worse than 'Blink', 'The Empty Child' etc, and much of the complaints by those who disliked this series are generated by such a line of thought.

Not every part of this series totally worked for me; I thought the new titles and music not as good as previously since returning in 2005, and I thought the new Daleks were inferior to the previous model. But I think, on balance, this series worthy of 5 stars as it was excellent; well acted, well written and well produced. After years of the bitch abuse Russell T Davies got from nasty bickering Who fans, I expect he can enjoy halcyon days as these same fans now like him as he was better than this young Moffatt upstart!

I thought 'Vincent and the Doctor' one of the finest stories ever made (Tony Curran as Vincent van Gogh and Karen Gillan as Amy Pond giving some of the best acting performanced I have seen on tv for a good long while), and the final few episodes gave a less bombastic and more measured climax in 'The Big Bang' than some of the previous ones we have had. The fact that all loose ends have not been tidily sorted is a great idea, as this leads a viewer back to it next Spring (what is The Silence? Who's is the voice that speaks of it? Who is River Song? What role does she play in the Doctor's future?). I thought Smith's first story to be one of the finest tales to introduce a new actor in the role (loved the fish fingers in custard), the Silurians were at last given some depth and were no longer blokes in rubber suits with dodgey Cornish/Russin hybrid accents, and the Weeping Angels story was not a simple remake of their previous tale (something that could easily have happened in the hands of someone less skilled than Moffatt). Brilliant stuff!

For those who cannot enjoy this for whatever reason, ok, we are all entitled to our opinions, no matter how misplaced and ill-judged they may be. But let me finish on this point; it is no so long ago that Doctor Who was really very poor, a fact illustrated by it's deserved removal from our screens for 16 years. By the late 80s it really was a limping duffer of a programme, lead by a producer who thought he was working in light entertainment; it is now in comparison a strong, engaging and thought-provoking show. Long may it remain a flag-ship of the BBC.

[Add comment]
Name:
Badge:
This badge will be assigned to you and will appear along with your name.
There was an error. Please try again.
Please see the full guidelines ">here.

Official Comment

The following name and badge will be shown with this comment:
 (edit name)

Is this your product?

Otherwise, you can still post a regular comment on this review.

Is this your product?

System timed out

Prompts for sign-in

Comments

Tracked by 7 customers

Sort: Oldest first | Newest first
Showing 1-10 of 58 posts in this discussion
Initial post: 19 Aug 2010 13:43:44 BDT
I completly agree with everthing you've written here, except one. I think the new titles and music are fab! They're almost as though Steven Moffett wanted to pay homage to the original titles, but give them an updated sound/look. I find it unbelievable the amount of people who said that Matt Smith was rubbish because he 'wasn't as good as David Tennent.' I was a huge Tennent fan, and people forget that he had to fill the shoes of Christopher Eccleson, when Doctor Who was rebooted in 2005. Matt Smith took Tennent's metaphorical clown shoes ( I mean, because they're huge lol), and made Who his own. Exaclty the same as Tennent and Eccleson did. I cannot wait for this DVD series to be released, and I look forward to seeing Matt Smith and Karen Gillan back on our screens at Christmas!

In reply to an earlier post on 20 Aug 2010 08:08:05 BDT
Glad you agree with most of it; don't get me wrong, I like the new titles, but I felt Eccleston/Tennant's were a bit slicker. Still good stuff though. And yes, I too am looking forward to the Christmas Special. Bring it on!

Posted on 26 Aug 2010 13:18:04 BDT
Mr. W. Egarr says:
Ah, the warm glow of positivity! I agree with everything you said, apart from the unnecessary 80s Who-sniping in the final paragraph. As an 8 year-old I was hooked by Season 24, and Sylvester McCoy has always been and will always be my Doctor, so I think it's all just a matter of perspective.

Posted on 26 Aug 2010 22:30:55 BDT
Last edited by the author on 26 Aug 2010 22:45:55 BDT
PRTM says:
I agree whole-heartedly with your comments about the very vocal minority (thankfully) of naysayers on this site and other forums. It seems they don't like change whilst forgetting the fact that Doctor Who periodically has these changes - it's one of the show's defining characteristics and is the reason it has lasted so long, becoming the world's longest running tv sci-fi program. But they are determined not to like it (which is rather a strange attitude for a "fan" to have anyway) and scrabble around trying to find reasons for their dislike of the new series (sometimes they don't even bother to give a reason and just say "I don't like it" or "it's crap" or words to that effect - which is not very helpful to anyone, least of all prospective buyers reading these 'reviews'). Some of the reasons they give are valid criticisms but more often than not they are just bogus, lazy and inaccurate comments. And the valid criticisms, IMO, are not enough to justify dismissing the entire series as "rubbish" - series 1-4 also had their faults so does that mean they're rubbish too? Of course not. It is perfectly fine for people to criticize as long as it is valid and constructive and they give credit where it is due, but if not then just keep quiet. After all, no one is forcing these people to watch it.

Posted on 27 Aug 2010 05:55:08 BDT
Last edited by the author on 27 Aug 2010 05:55:57 BDT
Have to agree about Dr Who "fans" after reading some of the comments on the new series it seems they can't abide any sort of change,I'm a new watcher of the series starting with Chris Ecclestone and I liked all the previous series apart from the third maybe because I didn't like Freema, anyway I really liked the 11th Hour I thought it was the best series opener of all that I've seen,and thats it, I didn't like any of the rest maybe it's because I've grown out of it. It's certainly not the cast I thought they were really 1st class,I just didn't like the story lines maybe the next will be better.I just dont think you have to be abusive whether you like it or not.I think your review was very fair,but I'm still in the Nay camp.

Posted on 29 Aug 2010 19:46:31 BDT
I wholeheartedly agree with everything you say in this review. Quite brilliant and spot on. Especially the remarks about the end of Doctor Who in the 1980's. I am still amazed by how many rose tinted spectacle some fans look through when they think back to that era. It was utter pants - and please don't get me started on Sophie Aldred... But a superb review, measured, articulate and spot on.

In reply to an earlier post on 31 Aug 2010 07:24:17 BDT
Thank you Wowbagger. I think we should round up these blinkered contempory Who-haters and put them in a time-loop so they can watch The Twin Dilemma for the rest of eternity and give the rest of us some peace!

In reply to an earlier post on 2 Sep 2010 19:05:46 BDT
[Deleted by the author on 7 Jan 2011 15:25:01 GMT]

In reply to an earlier post on 3 Sep 2010 02:48:30 BDT
Miss says:
Er... do you understand the expression "Po Faced", Mr Pratt? It's not terminology used by a 4 year old. A 4 year old might say "poo faced", but would certainly never say "po faced", which is definitely adult vocabulary. It means 'wearing a disapproving, stern expression' (possibly stemming from "poker faced"), or 'narrow minded'.

Something you might want to bear in mind when criticising someone's alleged age and level of understanding. Make sure of your facts first.

In reply to an earlier post on 3 Sep 2010 15:41:37 BDT
[Deleted by the author on 18 Apr 2012 17:28:51 BDT]
‹ Previous 1 2 3 4 5 6 Next ›

Review Details

Item

4.3 out of 5 stars (314 customer reviews)

Used & New from: 19.71