5.0 out of 5 stars It Works!, 27 Dec. 2012
This review is from: Overcoming Insomnia and Sleep Problems: A Self-Help Guide Using Cognitive Behavioral Techniques (Paperback)
Being a long term severe insomniac, having tried every single other thing there is to aid me, this is the only safe thing that has helped me turned my insomnia into sweet dreams.

I have completed the whole programme, i am now on my fifth week still applying the second part of the course...the sleep restriction regime. The last 10 nights i have slept a minimum of seven solid deeper than deep blissful hours each night, with the exception of just one night tallying four hours. This is pretty remarkable for me given my awful typical sleep pattern. Applying the guide lines in this book has turned me into a very happy sleeper & i am so so grateful to colin espie for this. I thought id never achieve a stress free night ever again.

The book is incredibly easy to read, understand & apply. It just takes dedication to stick to it. Thats our job, its up to us to stick to the rules, theres no easy answer, but I've done it & its paid off hugely, I'm so impressed it works.

Id also like to share that i have a severe neurological disease which has left me wheelchair dependant & housebound. Because of my terribly bad frail health many advised me not to to apply the regime as they were worried it would make me sicker & some dear friends were worried it would harm me. I couldn't find any info anywhere about whether it was safe for a sick person to apply the sleep restriction, not in the book, nor on the net & no sick person i know has done the plan. But being so desperate to help myself, i decided to try it one night at a time & expected to give up pretty quick if i got sicker. But it didn't happen, my health didn't change & i have to say i coped so very much better than i thought i would. It has done me no harm health wise applying this regime & I'm so relieved I've done it.

It's not a walk in the park, the times you have to drag yourself out of bed when you are so desperate to stay there are tough & it takes some grit to do it. Making yourself get up at the right time when you've had so little sleep is so challenging too, as is trying to keep awake till your bedtime, but it's achievable & the rewards will soon be relished.

Each week i slowly saw little changes, & each week they grew & grew. I just know I'm going to become a champion sleeper. Thank you dr colin espie, I'm more grateful than you could ever know.

**this is an update just to say that a whole 4 months later i am still sleeping so wonderfully well. I go to bed at the same time every night, fall asleep within 15 minutes, sleep a really deep solid blissful 7.5 hours (sometimes 7, sometimes 8 hours) & never have a day where i feel tired or under-slept. I am completely sleeping meds free & don't have to do any tricks or silly routine to get a good night. I get the occasional not so good night, but they are few...my last not so perfect night was over 3 weeks ago. But routinely my sleep is a real treat . Thank you Dr Colin! You're amazing!

Be the first person to comment on this review.

[Add comment]