ARRAY(0xacba9450)

4.0 out of 5 stars I LIKED IT SO MUCH I BOUGHT ANOTHER ONE, 18 Jun 2012
This review is from: Gumdrop Drop Tech Series Case for the New iPad 3 and iPad 2 - Black (Personal Computers)
I waited over a month for delivery of a Griffin case so in the meantime to ensure my iPad 3 didn't get damaged I was able to get hold of a Gumdrop Drop Tech.

When the Griffin finally arrived I unboxed it and compared it to the Gumdrop that now protects my iPad and to be honest I felt I didn't have to change the case.

After all that anticipation I sent the Griffin back. It was not as good quality the inner frame felt fragile and the silicone outer skin was definitely softer and less robust than the Gumdrop.
I had real issues with both the Gumdrop and Griffin built in screen protectors; both did not lay flush with the screen. One plus point for the Griffin, it does not have a replaceable screen protector as it is built in, so gives better rain protection. The Gumdrop has a replaceable screen protector but is not water resistant around the edges.

I know that there have to be some compromises, but when a screen protector is not tactile or optically efficient then it would be better without, especially considering the quality of the iPad 3 screen.

Both the Gumdrop and Griffin screen protectors are poor. My message to the manufacturers, SORT IT OUT! That's why it loses a star.

I have now removed the plastic from the frame of the Gumdrop and replaced it with a Zagg screen protector fitted directly to the screen. Not only does this give better protection but it is much more tactile and has better optical qualities. It also adds to the overall cost of protection.

The Gumdrop silicone skin feels bullet proof, has a tyre tread pattern on it that will stop it slipping off your car seat even when braking hard, but because of its curves, it looks and feels less bulky than it is. The port covers are solid and feel like they will last unlike the Griffin which feels flimsy.

One plus point for some is that the Griffin has a complete lens flap for the rear camera protecting the lens but making it awkward to take pictures, while the Gumdrop has a protective flange leaving the lens free.

I use a Griffin case for my iPhone 4s and it is without a doubt the best protection you can give your phone. My nephew commented that it really hurt when I hit him over the head with it; well he was being cheeky at the time. The iPhone was of course undamaged. However, the Griffin cover for the iPad 3 does not scale up as well as it should, on paper it should have been better than the Gumdrop but it was not.

I work outdoors a lot, but I try to avoid using electrical equipment in the rain, so the Gumdrop is fine for me. The Griffin offers better protection in the rain and as my iPhone can testify the Griffin offers really good sand protection. I had been to the beach with my children and collected shells. Forgetting the fact that I had half a pocketful of sand I put my Griffin encased iPhone in said pocket and it survived unscathed. See how easy it is to make a mistake! This would be an unlikely scenario with the iPad.

However, having compared both, though the Griffin offers good protection I think corners have been cut and there is a question mark over the quality.

I will stick to the Gumdrop, the frame and the silicone skin feel more solid, more robust and better quality. If you are able to hold both silicone outer skins in your hand you will think the Gumdrop is bullet proof.

In fact I liked it so much I have bought another one.

All protective cases are a compromise, an iPad was designed to go skinless, but do you want to take that risk. Yes it adds a little bulk and weight but in my opinion it's the Gumdrop that comes out on top.

Be the first person to comment on this review.

[Add comment]