4.0 out of 5 stars Very good but not quite perfect, 9 Feb. 2010
After a couple of years of deliberation, and ownership of a few Nokias and a Samsung (all of which disappointed in some way or other) I finally decided to give in to colleagues peer pressure and get one of these. Needing it to work with corporate email was a key driver in pushing me away from the likes of Android and having owned Symbian phones, none of them were fully capable of HTML mail as this thing is so the email experience is far far better now.

Don't get me wrong, after coming from quite customizable OS's, the iPhone does feel a bit restricted and over simplified, but some may argue those are it's key strengths too. No bluetooth file transfer, limited options for choosing ringtones / sms tones, no settings for the camera etc etc all made me think twice before placing my order, but considering my alternatives were the likes of Blackberry or Windows Mobile (ugh) I'm glad I went Apple.

Camera wise, so far I'm actually quite impressed. Considering it's "only" 3mp with no flash, it copes quite well in low light with limited noise levels despite the high ISO's used. Video recording on it is excellent at 30fps and you can crop them too afterwards which is brilliant. I have bought a new point and shoot camera anyway as the ones fitted to phones are never going to give the same performance. Sure, they look fine on the screen but view them on a laptop etc and the quality soon shows. However, in emergencies or when you just need to take a quick pic the camera is more than good enough. I think people need to realise that there's more to a camera than megapixels alone. Having owned a Samsung I8910 HD with 8mp, the shots with that were still not as good as my Sony 7mp dedicated camera and in low light due to the tiny sensor it was useless. 3mp on a phone is plenty. Want outstanding photos? Buy a camera.

Otherwise, since getting the phone I've been hitting the app store big time. There's oodles of apps available, many of which are free, and lots of others are cheap enough not to concern me. There's a lot of rubbish on there though, like fart apps and sound effect ones but also some real gems too. Makes me think that out of the so called 100,000 apps they claim to have, 90,000 of them are probably pointless (and with a LOT of apps that do the same thing) with the remaining 10,000 being actually of some use. Aside from that though the store is dead easy to use and getting apps is a doddle.

I do have some gripes though, oversimplicity and lack of configuration options aside.

Firstly, the phone signal strength is pitiful sometimes. The phone will often lose signal completely in areas where my Nokia's and Samsung never struggled. Quite odd.

Secondly, GPS signal is not as strong as on other phones I've had. My Nokia's (N97 aside) could get a signal easily in the car, and my Samsung could even get one indoors. The iPhone however needs a really clear view of the sky and it took a good 20 mins to get a fix first time round, with it dropping out several times before it became usable.

Lastly is battery life. This thing chomps battery like it's going out of fashion, so carry a charger/ USB lead with you if out and about for a bit and buy a car charger too. Compared to other touch screen phones I've had it's marginally worse so far but then I have been playing with it a lot so this may settle down when I do. :)

To confirm, this phone is listed as PAYG on O2, but should work with any O2 SIM I think. I inserted my work O2 SIM and it works fine so it's only a network lock and nothing more. It comes without a SIM so you'll need to get one from O2 if you do actually want to go O2 PAYG.

[Add comment]
Name:
Badge:
This badge will be assigned to you and will appear along with your name.
There was an error. Please try again.
Please see the full guidelines ">here.

Official Comment

The following name and badge will be shown with this comment:
 (edit name)

Is this your product?

Otherwise, you can still post a regular comment on this review.

Is this your product?

System timed out

Prompts for sign-in
  [Cancel]

Comments

Track comments by e-mail
Tracked by 2 customers

Sort: Oldest first | Newest first
Showing 1-3 of 3 posts in this discussion
Initial post: 26 Nov 2010 09:16:03 GMT
GeeTee says:
GPS signal indoors? No way.

Posted on 25 Feb 2011 12:33:45 GMT
Mine works okay but I did go to the O2 shop because it wasn't working properly at first, V Little or no GSM signal with the O2 sim I took out of my Nokia N96, they gave me a new sim, it's been fine since.

Posted on 17 Jul 2012 15:27:06 BDT
Last edited by the author on 17 Jul 2012 15:32:50 BDT
I'd have one for two years and have just bought my second one. If you go to the apple forums online... battery life significantly extnded by CLOSING DOWN THE APPS you are not using!
Also extended by NOT HAVING the mobile data function or/and the 3G functions switched on, unless you are actively using the internet on the go, then when finishd, switch these functions off...also stops you going over your data allowance and incurring extra charges.
Also when at home, if I've used it wirelessly with my internet hub downloading apps etc, then when finished I again switch the iphone's wireless off.
And if you want to improve your phone signal for regular phones calls, then switch the 3G function off defo!!
kind regards