83 of 83 people found the following review helpful
Excellent value shed,
This review is from: Keter Apex 6 x 4ft Shed (Garden & Outdoors)
This is a quality product and best of all its maintenance free! After much research of both plastic and metal sheds we chose Keter because of good reviews and the fact that a good base was already included, making for easy construction on our generally even, crazy paved patio. We found not all rivals include a base as part of the package, so this was a bonus.
Here are a few comments that might be of use to anyone considering a purchase-
1) Get prepared and look at Keter website in advance of delivery, you can download instruction manual to study and view some construction videos, albeit not same model but gives a good idea.
2) Check all the parts are present first; we found that a number of the anti-shake washers (that deter threads from working loose) were missing from the sealed packet. Annoying but didn't prevent work on the day, have contacted Keter so these can be retro fitted once delivered as local DIY shops didn't have similar in large enough size.
3) The door fittings were most fiddly part and took longest; it would be worth doing this job first so you're ready to get on with construction. Instructions generally simple but some diagrams were a bit ambiguous and needed puzzling out.
4) With hindsight, it would be easier not to follow the suggested sequence and instead fit the corners to the base first, thus allowing the side and back sections to be slotted in by lowering vertically.
5) Generally this was a simple job for one person, the only times another pair of hands are needed will be in fitting the roof panels and putting in the window.
6) If locating near a boundary fence/wall/hedge, remember to allow yourself enough access to get down the side - you need some room to lift in and fit the roof panels. We didn't have much choice but did have the luxury of being able to use a stepladder from opposite side of a boundary wall.
7) Don't tighten fully the plastic bolts holding sides down onto base - this allows for easier fine tuning/alignment whilst getting the shell together, then fully tighten before fitting the roof sections.
8) You do have the option to hang the door on the opposite side from that stated in the instructions- just have to visualise that stage as a mirror image.
The overall job took a bit longer than we thought, but the result is pleasing and shed appears water tight after a downpour during the evening after the shed was completed. If really looking for negative points, it would be nice to have another colour option, and you can't lean anything too heavy against the walls as you might do with a timber shed- but that's nitpicking, as what you're getting is a different animal and of course it's maintenance free. Other (dearer) Keter products appear to have shelves included, so it would be nice to at least have this as an optional extra.