4.0 out of 5 stars Hips, murder, rivers and clover!, 6 Jun. 2010
This review is from: Songs From The Tainted Cherry Tree (Audio CD)
The title of this review alludes to all the subjects touched upon across the thirteen tracks of the debut album from Diana Vickers. Of course they all play a part in elaborate metaphors for the same old subjects covered by current pop artists, but at least she's gone to some effort to move away from generic lyrics! Before I proceed I have something to confess....when Diana was on The X Factor I was a fan and supporter, and therefore I was highly anticipating this album, hence my expectations were high, but it also meant I was determined to like it and like it I do! That said I can recognise that (unfortunately) this album does have its weak points which prevent me from awarding it top marks. Now I shall embark upon a track-by-track review:

1.Once-The dead catchy first single from Miss Vickers. This track is pop perfection in mu view and fully deserving of its number one spot in the charts. 10/10
2.Remake Me and You-Another upbeat electro number (very different from what I'm guessing her fans thought she would sing). For me this doesn't quite reach the heights of the first track, but that said I do enjoy it. 8/10
3.The Boy Who Murdered Love-This song sucks you in from the very first listen; in fact you could well be singing along by the last chorus of your first listen. 9/10
4.Four Leaf Clover-A definite grower. The first time I listened I found it bland, but now it is probably my favourite track on the entire album. A lovely ballad which show off some extremely delicate vocals. 10/10
5.Put It Back Together-This was written with the fantastically talented Nerina Pallot. Although this is not Nerina's finest work by some distance it certainly has a special quality! 8/10
6.You'll Never Get To Heaven-Although I do enjoy this track it could well be seen by many as filler with its midtempo groove. 7/10
7.Me & You-Diana herself has claimed that this is the type of song that she herself and probably her fans expected to hear her sing. She's not wrong. And furthermore I love it! I know many have criticised it, but I love it simplistic and understated melody. 9/10
8.My Hip-This is probably the finest uptempo track aside from 'Once'. It absolutely has to be released as a single with its saxophones and oh so catchy chorus! 10/10
9.N.U.M.B-In my opinion this track is where it hits it weakest point. The lyrics are clicheed (eg. N.U.M.B I feel empty) and the vocals slightly slurred. Not a fan! 4/10
10.Hit-A Bjork cover and again this is far from my favourite. In all honesty after listening to the album numerous times I could not sing a line from memory, which is unusual for me. 5/10
11.Notice-Unfortunately the weak patch is proved to be far from a temporary blip by this track in the album. This is another clicheed ballad and one the album really could have done without. 5/10
12.Jumping Into Rivers-Thankfully quality control is restored at this point. In fact the album doesn't just bounce back to life with a good track, it bounces back with a fantastic one! This is summer-simple as that. I love it. 10/10
13.Chasing You-A great way to round off the album-what more can I say! 8/10

So as you can see this is a superb album only let down by a few mediocre songs towards the end of the album!

[Add comment]