4.0 out of 5 stars Excellent, 6 Feb. 2011
This review is from: Epson Perfection V 600 Photo High Resolution 6400 x 9600 dpi Scanner (Electronics)
I have just bought one of these to replace my old Perfection 3200. The 3200 was a really good scanner but when I upgraded to Win7 64bit the Epson scanning software was not compatible. Epson provided a driver but could not offer an upgraded software package. So for me, the scanner was rendered useless. I tried various third party scanning software such as Vu-Scan and Laser Soft but there really is no substitute for the proper stuff. I found that even simple copying was a labourious task with poor results. I really had no option other than to replace the 3200.

The 3200 had given me excellent service so I wanted a scanner that gave at least as good a performance. Trawling through reviews I zoomed in on the V600 and the many positive comments settled it and I decided to buy one. I am absolutely delighted with my purchase. I thought the 3200 would be hard to beat but this scanner is light years ahead. I scan lots of photographs and negatives of classic cars and had up until now been happy with the results but wow, every little gleam, every piece of chrome and shiney bodywork simply leaps off the screen in a way that I didn't think possible from a scanner in this price range. I am so impressed that I am actually re-archiving many photographs, negatives and slides that I had previously thought to be of a very good standard.

Scanning slides and negatives was always a bit of a trial. It was really difficult to eradicate dust and spots. Epson's own dust removal tool was pretty lame and often removed fine details in addition to dust. So, I would spend literally hours cleaning images up with Photoshop and this would take the pleasure out of the whole exercise. I had read many articles on Digital Ice and despite general praise for it, I was quite cynical. Boy did I get a suprise. It actually works and the amount of time spent cloning on Photoshop has drastically reduced. I keep it set to the default, 'medium' setting and this produces excellent results. It should be mentioned at this stage that Digital Ice will not work with Kodachrome slides. This is something, as I understand it, to do with the yellow dyes in this type of film. This is a pity as I have many Kodachrome slides.

Now you will note that I have only given four stars rather than five. This is due to the fact that the scanner is made of some very, VERY cheap looking and feeling plastic and I really do wonder how robust over time it will be. The 3200 was built like a bus and weighed a ton but you got a feeling of solidity and reliablity with it that simply is lacking in the V600. The flims carriers too are of poor construction in comparison to the 3200. I seriously doubt that they will endure long, daily scanning sessions. Shame on Epson for this and in my view they have tarnished an otherwise great product. Clearly there have been some major cost reductions. They should realise that scanners at this end of the market get much more use than the cheaper ones and quality of build does count. If you buy one, and I hope you do, exercise real caution when using it or you could find yourself with a big, expensive broken toy.

[Add comment]
Name:
Badge:
This badge will be assigned to you and will appear along with your name.
There was an error. Please try again.
Please see the full guidelines ">here.

Official Comment

The following name and badge will be shown with this comment:
 (edit name)

Is this your product?

Otherwise, you can still post a regular comment on this review.

Is this your product?

System timed out

Prompts for sign-in
  [Cancel]

Comments

Track comments by e-mail
Tracked by 1 customer

Sort: Oldest first | Newest first
Showing 1-4 of 4 posts in this discussion
Initial post: 11 Sep 2011 13:54:36 BDT
Chris Hopton says:
I faced the same issue, but then discovered that Epson Smart Panel could be purchased in a Windows 7-compatible version from Newsoft for less than £20, which is what I did. It provides me with all the functionality that I enjoyed when using the Perfection 3200 on a Vista operating system and was certainly a cheaper option than buying a whole new scanner. Here's the newsoft website .http://newsoft-technology-corporation1.software.informer.com/

In reply to an earlier post on 11 Sep 2011 14:49:34 BDT
JMD1 says:
Hi Chris, I have just taken a wee look at the site and there are issues with a trojan being found in the software. However, that said, trojans can be ripped out easily enough.

I was very annoyed when I couldn't get udated software and was forced to buy a new scanner however, the performance of the new one has far outweighed my annoyance. It is superb and DigitalICE works to stunning effect.

Posted on 11 Sep 2011 14:58:55 BDT
JMD1 says:
I have just checked this trojan/virus out and it's a doosey! Do NOT under any circumstances install this software. It mines you data, replicates itself and sends sensitive data such as passwords and banking data to a third party.

Posted on 11 Sep 2011 15:00:19 BDT
JMD1 says:
I forgot to name the trojan:

Packed.Win32.Krap.gx.