ARRAY(0xac20e6cc)

4.0 out of 5 stars Very glad I read it - this is a story that will stay with me for a long time., 20 May 2011
This review is from: A Greyhound of a Girl (Hardcover)
Customer review from the Amazon Vine Programme (What's this?)
Roddy Doyle's children's book, which the blurb says is suitable from ages 10 to adult, deals with some big themes but it's by far from a heavy or tricky story. There's a lot of humour and lightness of touch.

Mary is twelve and her grandmother is in hospital dying. It's a difficult time for Mary and her mother, then Mary meets a sweet old lady who seems very familiar and knows a lot about her grandma. She also seems to disappear in bright light...

We have dying, loss, ghosts and sadness. But also lightness, love and a strong bond across four generations of women.

I was a little stuck to know what age range this story would appeal to as a children's book but it does address these big issues in a subtle and sensitive way.

Having not read any Roddy Doyle for years and struggled with reading the dialogue in his Snapper, The Van, etc series I was a little apprehensive. But the language and dialogue is easy to read whilst the phrasing of the dialogue creates great Irish atmosphere and character.

I wanted to like this book a lot more than I did and I'm struggling to put my finger on what about it didn't quite hit the 5 stars. I think perhaps it's a little too thin in some aspects of the characters and their relationships. They didn't quite come to life for me.

Having said that there are some absolutely beautiful passages and dialogue exchanges. The idea of the story is wonderful and I did enjoy it.

It's one of those books that I found frustrating that it could have delivered a little bit more yet it will be one of those stories which will be with me for a very long time. I can see potential for this to become a classic and a text that will be studied by many students in the future.

I'm very glad I got to read it.

Be the first person to comment on this review.

[Add comment]