4.0 out of 5 stars Crossfire book 1, 29 May 2012
This review is from: Bared to You: A Crossfire Novel (Paperback)
I don't normally like to compare books in my reviews because I prefer to look at them on their own merit but because this was recommended for fans of Fifty Shades of Grey I'm going to make a comparison this time. I'm one of those people who ended up completely addicted to FSoG, I had a lot of problems with the writing style - the constant repetitions, the bad grammar and the poor editing to name a few - but I could not put it down and devoured the entire trilogy in record time.

I needed something to fill the FSoG shaped hole in my life and Bared to You was highly recommended. It is another book that was originally self published by the author and has now been picked up by a major publishing house after it became a big hit on Amazon and there is no doubt in my mind that it will appeal to FSoG fans. In my opinion Bared to You is a million times better that FSoG in a lot of ways - Sylvia Day's writing is so much better, there are no conversations with the inner goddess that made me want to scream, I liked Eva a lot more than Ana and the sex scenes are much hotter. So you'd rightfully be thinking that I'd recommend the story to FSoG fans.

However, I can't say I found it quite as addictive as FSoG. Yes, I devoured Bared to You. Yes, I stayed up until 5am in the morning because I couldn't but it down. Yes, I am definitely going to be reading the next two books in the series. Yes, I did fall for Gideon but I don't love him quite as much as I love Christian. Perhaps that will change as I get to know him better throughout the next two books but we'll have to wait and see. I still can't stop thinking about FSoG even though it has been nearly two months since I finished reading it and I don't know what I would have done with myself if the next two books hadn't been available for me to devour immediately afterwards. While I'm excited that I only have to wait until October for Deeper in You that wait isn't going to kill me. I have to say that I love both books as much as each other but in different ways, neither FSoG or Bared to You is perfect but they are both compelling and not to be missed.

One of the things I liked most about Bared to You was the fact that Eva and Gideon are both as messed up as each other. They both have terrible issues from their pasts that have deeply effected the way they behave in the present. This seems much more realistic to me and I like the fact that they are both going to have to deal with their past and make changes to their attitudes if they want to have a chance at a successful relationship. This isn't a case of one person having to "fix" the other, it's a case of two deeply hurt individuals who might have a chance at healing each others pain and working towards a happy future together.

As much as I loved the email exchanges between Ana and Christian in FSoG I loved the banter between Eva and Christian even more. I love the way she is adult enough to stand up to him face to face or over the phone. She is no simpering virgin but rather someone who knows exactly what she wants and how to get it. Gideon is very possessive and should come with a stalker warning, especially at the beginning of the story, but Eva won't put up with any of his crap and in her own way she behaves just as badly at times with her own jealousy problems. Gideon is rich, powerful and successful, sexy as sin as well as dark and dangerous - I don't know many women who wouldn't find themselves attracted to him. The chemistry between him and Eva is intense and the pages literally sizzle when they are in a room together. Their journey may not be an easy one but you feel like they have something worth fighting for.

If you're looking for a scorching hot contemporary erotic story with a gritty romance between two damaged people then I'd highly recommend Bared to You. I'll be eagerly awaiting the next instalment and in the meantime I'm definitely planning on checking out some of Sylvia Day's other books.

[Add comment]
Name:
Badge:
This badge will be assigned to you and will appear along with your name.
There was an error. Please try again.
Please see the full guidelines ">here.

Official Comment

The following name and badge will be shown with this comment:
 (edit name)

Is this your product?

Otherwise, you can still post a regular comment on this review.

Is this your product?

System timed out

Prompts for sign-in

Comments

Tracked by 5 customers

Sort: Oldest first | Newest first
Showing 1-10 of 52 posts in this discussion
Initial post: 6 Jun 2012 19:08:00 BDT
how have you already read this book? i'm trying to buy it but can't seem to get it anywhere?? HELP!!!
Abi x

In reply to an earlier post on 7 Jun 2012 17:08:02 BDT
Hi Abi, the author originally self-published this book so now it has been picked up by a publisher the cover has changed. If you do a search on Amazon for Bared to You Sylvia Day you'll find that the new UK cover is grey with a black high heeled shoe on it (not sure why they picked that cover though lol). The Kindle version is available now but the paperback doesn't come out until July. I hope that helps :o) Bared to You: A Crossfire Novel I think this link should take you to the kindle version!

Posted on 25 Jun 2012 17:34:38 BDT
Mixx cass says:
I completely agree with you! I too was addicted to Fsog... read them all in a week and still feel like i need another 2 books worth lol.... please please please let the movie do it justice! However i feel Bared to you is maybe a little too similar to Fsog and thats perhaps why were not as in love with the Gideon as we were with Christian. we have already found our EROTIC HERO! LOL.. Great review!

In reply to an earlier post on 3 Jul 2012 00:22:25 BDT
I'm so nervous about the FSoG movie - I have a feeling it will either be fantastic or terrible! I'm hoping for fantastic of course lol. Perhaps you're right about Gideon & Christian being too similar - maybe we would have fallen for G if we'd read this book first? Who knows lol. I do think the writing was much better for this book & I'm looking forward to seeing what happens next when the next book comes out :o)

Posted on 6 Jul 2012 19:28:00 BDT
Right..I read Fifty Shades twice and read this on your recommendation. It was fantastic. Thank you for the recommendation. Since the second book doesn't come out till later on in the year what can you recommend next?

In reply to an earlier post on 6 Jul 2012 21:24:13 BDT
Hi Charlotte, I'm really glad to hear you enjoyed this one! I'm still searching for my next Fifty replacement lol! I just finished The Siren (Spice) which was very good, I've not written my review yet (hopefully I'll have time over the weekend) but it definitely isn't your average romance. The characters are all very messed up, there are some quite harsh D/s scenes and there is no happy ever after. It won't be to everyones taste but I was completely hooked! More along the lines of Fifty someone recommended Slave (Finding Anna) but I've not read it yet so I don't know how good it will be (I have it on my kindle and will be reading it soon!).

If you fancy more of a straight contemporary romance then I'd recommend About Last Night (Loveswept). I loved the characters in this one, it's set in London with a city banker & a bad girl trying to turn good. Nothing like Fifty & no BDSM / kink but still some very hot scenes in there.

Another one that I read a couple of years ago that really took me out of my comfort zone was Comfort Food. It is very dark erotica about a woman who is kidnapped and how she ends up doing whatever her captor wants just to have some kind of human contact. It was very uncomfortable reading in places but also an incredibly powerful read and I thoroughly enjoyed it. The fact that it still stands out in my memory 2 years (and about 500 books) later proves how good it was lol. It's another one that won't be to everyones taste though so I'd recommend having a look at some of the reviews before you decide to buy it.

I can't think of any other recommendations off the top of my head, this whole genre is fairly new to me so I'm still looking for suggestions too if you have any? I'll let you know if I come across any other good ones though & I hope at least one of those appeals to you!

Posted on 18 Jul 2012 23:19:18 BDT
katherine says:
I am just about to finish the FSoG trilogy and am interested in this book as my next 'must read' in your review you mentioned that the next book to follow Bared to you, is Deeper in you, I found on amazon another book called Reflected in you. Do you know which book is actually the second? as i am interested in buying these books! thanks to your review it was very useful!

Posted on 18 Jul 2012 23:34:44 BDT
Hi ladies,

after finishing fsog books last week and totally loved them all to bits! am trying to fill a gap with something the same, nd have found that bared to you sounds good and very intresting, so may give it a gamble...what you think?

In reply to an earlier post on 19 Jul 2012 13:33:48 BDT
Hi Katherine, you're absolutely right the second book in the series is actually Reflected in You and it looks like it will be published in the UK in October.

I get the information about titles in a series from Goodreads but they have Reflected in You listed now so I'm not sure if the book title has changed since I wrote my review or I lost the plot somehow and wrote the wrong name down LOL. I'm so sorry for any confusion!

In reply to an earlier post on 19 Jul 2012 13:35:08 BDT
@ Miss Dshepherd, I would definitely recommend this to fans of fsog. I really enjoyed this one and am looking forward to reading the sequel when it comes out later this year :o)
‹ Previous 1 2 3 4 5 6 Next ›

Review Details

Item

4.2 out of 5 stars (1,858 customer reviews)
 (1,099)