1.0 out of 5 stars Disappointing - With Flaws, 8 Jun. 2014
This review is from: Three Mobile Huawei E3231 Dongle Ready To Go 3GB Preloaded Data (Electronics)
I bought this as I needed guaranteed access to the internet during Easter 2014 and thought the high price would ensure this. However once installed I was greeted with a message saying I needed to top up my credit to get access to the internet.

This was puzzling as the box claims you get three months' worth of access included in the price. After many calls to customer service I'm still waiting to get the 3 months worth of credit. I have been given 1 GB instead whilst a very long technical issue is being resolved.

Also be beware that unlike other networks when Three says you get a month of internet access it actually means you get about eight hours and you have to top up again. Ie they expect you to only use the internet for 8 hours a month.

FINALLY and more alarmingly you cannot top up your credit with a Visa debit or credit card and you cannot buy anything on ANY website that involves going through 'Verified by Visa'. This is because Three have a dispute with Visa and do not want to pay their charges. Very frustrating if you wish to top up or buy online (because you can't!).

[Add comment]
Name:
Badge:
This badge will be assigned to you and will appear along with your name.
There was an error. Please try again.
Please see the full guidelines ">here.

Official Comment

The following name and badge will be shown with this comment:
 (edit name)

Is this your product?

Otherwise, you can still post a regular comment on this review.

Is this your product?

System timed out

Prompts for sign-in

Comments

Tracked by 1 customer

Sort: Oldest first | Newest first
Showing 1-2 of 2 posts in this discussion
Initial post: 11 Jun 2014 22:10:10 BDT
Last edited by the author on 11 Jun 2014 22:10:47 BDT
Sorry to hear about your bad experience. Useful review, though.

Like you, I bought the 3 month / 3 GB version also. Though fortunately it worked out of the box for me. I've also used it for a lot more than 8 hours this month already (an hour each way on the train four times a week is the use profile I've had, which has used about 500MB of the 3GB allowance so far.)

It's 'interesting' to know that Three won't accept Visa as a means of topping up. It sounds like a self-defeating business model that tries to cut a major form of payment like that out of the loop. What are they expecting people to use for an online purchase? PayPal? Good luck with that. Since it costs as much for a new dongle as it does for a topup, I'll need to remember to order one before my current time/bandwidth limit expires. Thanks for the info on Payment via Visa: otherwise I might have left it until my dongle expired to find that out.

In reply to an earlier post on 9 Jul 2014 11:48:08 BDT
John Bean says:
This is all a bit odd, because as an existing 3 user I currently topup my phone with a HSBC VISA debit card, and before that a Halifax VISA Electron card. No problems of any sort.

Perhaps they don't accept VISA credit cards (I don't have one so I don't know) but they certainly don't have a ban on VISA cards in general unless I imagined all the topups I've made using them!
‹ Previous 1 Next ›