1.0 out of 5 stars Good - at first. Then awful., 18 Mar. 2012
This review is from: Russell Hobbs 18256 Heritage Kettle, 1.8 L - Country Cream (Kitchen & Home)
I am writing this review less than a year after purchasing this kettle. In this time I have experienced every one of the negative points made in most of the reviews here, and can therefore confirm that these negative reviews are entirely correct. The water does taste metallic, it does need replacing for each boil, meaning a high waste in water and power - if you 're-boil' any remaining water, it just tastes awful. At first I thought it was because I drink green tea, which is mainly water as opposed to tea or coffee with milk and sugar. Eventually friends and guests began to question the taste. I have never wasted so much water as I have wasted with this kettle.

It is very difficult to tell just how much water is in the kettle, not least because the window in the level indicator is extremely scaly and dirty. The kettle itself is very difficult to keep clean, and if and when you do clean it, more and more of the logo rubs off, making it look cheap, as well as dirty.

The spout leaks, leaving watermarks either on counters or work-top protectors. The top eventually de-seals itself, leading to steam escaping upon boiling, leading to burned hands with each use. The black handle fades (even with in year) to a cheap, faded plastic type colour. There is a big water mark under the spout, and the spout looks dirty inside. You'd think I had had this kettle for years, it looks so dirty, despite being regularly descaled.

The black small handle of the lid has come loose and can be turned round independently of the silver part of the lid. Aound the top of the kettle, when the lid is removed, all the paint has come off and brown marks, presumably rust or the start of rust, is starting to set in. Give it another few months and this kettle will just look awful.

Regarding the noise, it is noiser than most kettles, but I suppose it is because it is made from a different material than most kettles - metal rather than plastic, and is in a different style. You do have to leave the room if on the phone, it is quite correct.

All in all, absolutely 100% not worth buying. I'd be interested to see how many purchasers from last year are still happy with this model of kettle. We replaced ours today with a £30 one from Next, which I hope will last a lot longer than a year.

Please do not buy this model.

[Add comment]
Name:
Badge:
This badge will be assigned to you and will appear along with your name.
There was an error. Please try again.
Please see the full guidelines ">here.

Official Comment

The following name and badge will be shown with this comment:
 (edit name)

Is this your product?

Otherwise, you can still post a regular comment on this review.

Is this your product?

System timed out

Prompts for sign-in

Comments

Sort: Oldest first | Newest first
Showing 1-8 of 8 posts in this discussion
Initial post: 31 May 2012 08:01:14 BDT
I agree with all these comments. My Kettle just outside of the 12 months guarantee has now blown the fuses in my house and according to the electrician cannot be used Would not recommend, definitely style over substance.

In reply to an earlier post on 29 Oct 2012 21:55:51 GMT
H. Crew says:
Mine has started to do the same at 10 months....

Posted on 2 Jan 2013 16:27:45 GMT
A. B. Deith says:
All this has happened to mine too! Was the most expensive kettle I have bought, sooo not worth it!

Posted on 15 Sep 2013 08:59:11 BDT
CG says:
My kettel is only one month old but has awfull taste don't know if I can keep this up so it will still look good when I throw it in the bin

Posted on 16 Nov 2013 14:46:22 GMT
Anthony says:
I agree with a lot of the above. My kettle has just failed after less than 2 years so Am looking for another. Will try Next

Posted on 3 Jan 2014 17:18:14 GMT
Ann S says:
I entirely agree with all these comments. I have had my kettle for two years now and have been very disappointed with it. It has leaked for the past 6 months and is incredibly noisy if you do not descale it on a regular basis. It will definitely be going in the bin as soon as I get a replacement! Do not purchase one of these!

!Russell Hobbs 18256 Heritage Kettle - 1.8 Litre - Country Cream

In reply to an earlier post on 7 Jan 2014 09:53:45 GMT
I agree worst kettle ever

Posted on 28 Apr 2014 21:46:08 BDT
C. S. Bailey says:
Agree with these comments, we've had our kettle 3 years and it looks awful, is loud and I thought the taste was because we moved house but now after reading these comments I am wondering if it could be the kettle. I am looking to replace, I just need to decide what with!
‹ Previous 1 Next ›

Review Details

Item

4.1 out of 5 stars (607 customer reviews)

£49.99 £32.00